• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Trans jack was helpful.  Snapped one side bolt on the trans.  Fun times.  Shoulda got a before pic on the transaxle, but I'm sure y'all have seen 'em dirty once or twice.  Axle seals came in.  Case gasket should be here early next week.  I think I have a good idea what my plans are for the weekend.  More pics to come, I'm sure.

svp6NPb.jpg

fRLMLm8.jpg

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I have one that is leaking, but just a little. When I park it for the night, I put a 1" under that wheel.be interesting to watch this.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,636 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have a later model axle like this with second gear out of it. It's a Hi/Low axle.

#34 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:39 PM

MH, the seal appears able to be pulled without disassembly, and I've seen a pic of one disassembled - looks like they used a small flathead screwdriver around the OD of the seal to release it.  Then presumably, if you have a pipe with an OD no larger than the seal and an ID no smaller than the shaft, it could very easily be driven back on.

Since I'm going to peek inside anyhow just for (hopefully) peace of mind, I reckon I'll cheat and swap the seals with no axle in the bore.

While tinkering with the trans dropped out, I found what may have actually been the "squeeling" noise I heard.  IIRC, I *may* have only heard it when reversing.  When reversing, the liner-less brake band's rivets chatter on the brake mandrel.  I can't recall that specifically, and due to no lube worthy of note in the trans, I want to go ahead and crack it just to be sure the bearings are good and nothing ugly inside.  It almost seams like everyone who had it knew it needed to be topped off to use it, but it's very noisy, especially when transitioning from on-throttle to off-throttle.  Not sure if it's normal, after all they are straight cut gears, but almost sounds "bad" to me... so just the exercise of splitting and inspecting will set my mind at ease.  Definitely need to finish cleaning the gunk first, don't want anything getting inside once I split the case.

#35 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:08 PM

I was incredibly lazy today, but at least cleared the bench, finished cleaning most of the gunk off the exterior, and pulled the shifter.  Wasn't terribly pleased with the first impression - found gritty grease caked around.  Input shaft looks pretty clean though.  After getting it up onto the bench, something seems to be blocking one of the diff gears.  I'll try to be less lazy tomorrow and get the pulley and brake mandrel off so I can get it open.

• Sawdust said thank you

#36 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well... so I was lazy most of the day Saturday, and Sunday I spent most of the day fighting with sewer line issues.  Yuck.

But today I was determined to see what's going on in this old transaxle...

I'm usually pretty verbose, a lot of people tl;dr my longer posts I'm sure... and they say a picture is worth 1000 words, so here's a few thousand words in easy to digest pics.

First off, it's a 633A81 for those who want to know those things.  

aXvX0fP.jpg

Split!
NkbIKeV.jpg

This is the gritty, rusty gunk that was coating nearly everything, but this is a close up of the top differential plate...

CqkTHck.jpg

Just a lil WD40 and wiping down with a clean rag... same spot...

Ol4viuf.jpg

Almost all of the sliding gear edges are in decent condition, some show signs of a little grinding though...

4MolKu0.jpg

The rust on the 2nd tier of the layer cake on the far left here is the worst of the rust.  Now, mind you, this is the bottom side of the trans.  It must have been pretty wet in there at some point.

3CKz4hx.jpg

Gotta check all the bearings, so lets pull it all apart.

2xF3KKf.jpg

Little more out.

YKLSo5t.jpg

Deboned and ready to fry!

Gmk4Xl2.jpg

Tried to get a close up of the gritty gunk clinging to the bottom of the case.

mB63cRY.jpg

Here's a bit of the grit-sludge that I pulled up that was clinging to one of the ribs of the case.

UdM9TFr.jpg

Close-up of the rust on the layer cake... Gonna try and knock it off the faces with a wire brush and see. 

G3RK42X.jpg

Another pic of the jigsaw puzzle... I'm sure many of you are thinking "will he ever get that back together right?"

y6vXsdM.jpg

So far I only have the seals for the axles, and I know the input seal is shot also.  The brake shaft seal seems good, but seems stupid not to replace it while I'm doing the others.

But here's the serious kicker... all of the bearings are still in a condition I'd consider serviceable.  WIN!

The only gear that really has seen better days is the reverse idler.  It's been ground almost flat on the mating edge.  Sears part 1153R, which of course they don't stock anymore.  If I can't find one, I'm debating filing the burrs off of it, or just leaving it as is.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a close-up of it... had to come in and feed the dogs.

• MH81, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#37 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'll point out a few things here for the seals for anyone who is interested in the information.

What Sears calls for:

Axle Seals:

Sears 4910H - No longer specifically offered.

Sears calls instead for: STD339838 @ $19.99/ea.

Hint - the last 4 numbers are the important bit.

CR / SKF 9838 is the actual part.

What was installed in my transaxle: 9837 (Identical dimensions, but it has an auxiliary non-contacting lip on the outer edge).

Brake Shaft:

Sears 6271H - No longer specifically offered.

Sears calls instead for: STD337443 @ $3.99/ea.

Again, the last 4 numbers are the actual important bit.

CR / SKF 7443 is the actual part.

What was installed in my transaxle: 7440 (Identical dimensions, but it *doesn't* have the auxiliary non-contacting lip on the outer edge).

Input Shaft:

Sears 6270H - No longer specifically offered.

Sears calls instead for: AB0645F0 @ $6.99/ea.

This one was tricky for me.  After some googling, I learned that the trailing "0" seems unimportant, and the cross of a AB0645F is an SKF 6903.

What was installed in my transaxle: I have no clue!  It had no markings that I could discern at all... but I'll let you know when the replacement arrives!

So... shopping searspartsdirect.com for this seals replacement would have cost me $50.96 + S/H.

Sourcing from the cheapest source found for each, I have $17.46 + S/H.

Its great that sears still provides a lot of parts, but this proves that when the parts can be found elsewhere for something like a common seal, a little research can save you a pretty penny!

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Man, Sewage issues... That'll trump tranny rebuild anyday and make you wish you were doing anything else.
It really doesn't look to bad in there. I will just about bet you have a leaking shifter. I took 8" pieces of rubber, poked a 1/4 or 5/16" hole in them and slid them down the shifter so it was an umbrella. Tight on the shaft, wide enough to keep it off the shifter input, no leaks so far.
  • Alc, Sawdust and TX_Dj have said thanks

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,636 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:22 AM

Boy, I hope you took plenty of pics! That's quite the puzzle there!

• TX_Dj said thank you

#40 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:08 AM

This is another example of listening to curiosity. It would have been a shame to have not opened the tranny up. Considering what could have been it really looks good. Good thing I read my own post, my ghost writer used granny instead of tranny. Lol
  • TX_Dj said thank you

#41 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Man, Sewage issues... That'll trump tranny rebuild anyday and make you wish you were doing anything else.
It really doesn't look to bad in there. I will just about bet you have a leaking shifter. I took 8" pieces of rubber, poked a 1/4 or 5/16" hole in them and slid them down the shifter so it was an umbrella. Tight on the shaft, wide enough to keep it off the shifter input, no leaks so far.

Ugh, tell me about it!  I have a serious root invasion issue because some numbskull (can't blame someone who doesn't know stuff for what they do, but still) planted two pear trees directly above the sewer line.  I had to clear it once last fall, and again this spring.  I really don't want to replace the line, but I know I'll have to someday.  I'm just trying to push "someday" as far off into the future as possible.  I don't want to lose the pear trees, so I'm hopeful I could just route around them somehow.  In the meantime, they produce a massive amount of pears with very little watering.

I'm still a bit perplexed why neither myself, nor my inspector realized this before buying the house, because it was apparent the PO never watered the back yard.  :hitting_self_roller:

Good thing I read my own post, my ghost writer used granny instead of tranny. Lol

HAH!  Yes, please don't open up the granny unless you're seriously trained and certified for that sort of stuff!!! :P

• MH81, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#42 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Now I'm at the point where I'm getting bored, waiting for parts to show up... things I'm still waiting on:

- Input shaft seal

- Brake shaft seal

- Axle thrust washers

- Case trans case gasket

I still need to scrape the remaining gasket material off the case, and I have some more parts washing I want to do...

Cleaned up my work areas a bit, and swept up everything that came off the tractor/transmission during disassembly and cleaning.

zfzWxYt.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#43 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 03:59 AM

Case gaskets and thrust washers arrived today - these thrust washers look thinner than what I recall of the ones that were installed - so who knows. 

Little chuffed to find the gaskets (I bought 2, JIC) were wadded up and crammed into a little ziplock baggie.  I guess I'm just spoiled buying gaskets for motorcycles and cars that often come flat packed on a piece of cardboard in a baggie.  They didn't have any hard creases, and came out OK, but still... meh.

Still, can't put them to use til those last 2 seals arrive... Tracking says one is in the main regional post office, probably will be here tomorrow.  The other still is stuck somewhere in KC, MO.

No worries though... I wouldn't have had time to deal with it tonight anyhow, had to spend the evening doing more sewer line work.  Wish I had an excavator or backhoe... I'd dig up the line myself and replace it... kills me to think what a plumbing co would charge me to do it.  Sad to say, but that's likely the real fix there.  Trying to get it cleared enough that I can get a camera put thru it just to confirm a break and/or massive root invasion.  Could be that, or could be a piece of the busted cast iron cleanout that fell in while that port was still buried under the surface.  Nobody seems to have known it was there, at least not the previous owner.

#44 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 12:39 AM

Ya know those guides like Chiltons, Clymers, and Haynes that always say something like...

"Assembly is the reverse of disassembly" ???

Gt9Gr2n.jpg

hbN7q90.jpg

It's true!

Also cleaned the exxon valdez off of one of the hubs before getting tired of scrubbing... will get the other one tomorrow.

But at least that gave me one clean one to check the new thrust washers I bought.  Didn't get a pic, and didn't measure with my calipers, but eyeballing the single washer that came off and a pair of the new washers, they look like the same thickness- but put the pair of new ones on the axle and throw the hub and e-clip back on, and it's amazing how perfect it fits together.  Almost as if that's what it should have had in the first place.  Who knew the parts diagram would be correct, but the tractor wrong... The ones that I had pulled from the axle were too thick to be the same part, two of them definitely don't fit.  One is too thin by itself.  One original with one new is too thick also.  Glad I ordered 4 of the right one, JIC.

Will get pics of that tomorrow.  Also debating painting it, it just seems the right thing to do, and OTOH without the paint it just maintains the character of the tractor.

Oh, and before it can all go back in, I'll still need to easy-out the busted side frame mount bolt.  Actually, I might put it back in before I do that, that way the tractor can act as the backup wrench to keep the transaxle from spinning.

#45 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 12:57 AM