Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens Ht 23 Hydro Fluid Capacity ?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Cat385B 
#1 ·
Anyone know how many quarts required for a complete fluid change ?
I've got two of my HT 23's pulled into the garage and warming up so that I can do both. Once again, the fluid has water in it. Best to replace it ASAP which is now, 8-10" of snow expected overnight, need at least one to plow with.

I have five gallons of Napa universal tractor fluid which I've used before. I just don't remember how much they take.
Anyone know ?

#3 ·
2.5 Gallons, Looks like your 5 gallons will be just right.
Thanks, I JUST found it and was coming back to say so.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Now I hope to be able to figure out how the water gets in. I'm guessing it's getting in thur the hi-lo selector shaft seal ? Or around the fill tube.

In a perfect world, the tractors would be kept in the garage, but that isn't going to happen with all the stuff I have. Might be time to clear out the unused stuff.

Attachments

#7 ·
I read somewhere that Eaton recommends a 25 micron filter.

Reactions: NJKen
#9 ·
Hi Fred

They do have one that is 10 micron, but it is 3 X's the cost of the 1410 which is 21 was just told so by a fellow member via pm.
Make sure you get a filter that meets the manufacturer's specs... too fine and you can starve the system and cause cavitation, etc. too coarse and you won't catch all the bad particles.

Smitty

#11 ·
Most good quality filters will have a bypass in them. There are also pro & cons to having that bypass also.
I've read before that a by pass filter should not be used in a hydro.
I have used both.
I ordered 21 micron filters from Amazon dot com today. They are Wix brand hydraulic filters. Same as the napa brand. Wix makes napa filters I believe.

Napa was 12.95 each amazon was 9.95 each with free 2 day shipping.

#13 ·
Yes Ken,,, Wix makes NAPA filters AND if we may ask what is the Wix numbers ???

I have the Eaton 12 .. Just wondering if there the same as my charts for the Eaton 12

Thanks sodi..
I was given these #s by a fellow member (Thanks Jim)

Wix - 51410
Napa 1410

I'm pretty sure the Eaton 12 takes the same filter. Matter of fact, I'm very sure it does.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ken !! My charts show the Eaton 12 as WIX 51452...
51452 has a bypass valve and is about 1 1/2" taller. The 51410 doesn't have a bypass. Other than that the rest of the specs are the same.
The Wix crossover shows 51307 as replacing the Bolens number. That filter has a bypass valve but other than that is identical to the 51410. One of the other cross references shows the Bolens number as having no bypass valve so one of the charts isn't quite right.

Reactions: sodisr
#17 ·
I use baldwin hydro filters after years as a truck driver running dump you see what guys with 2000 to 10000 dollar truck hydraulics trust and most that i talked with preferred baldwin so i use them on all my hydraulic systems, and no i don't work for or sell baldwin, wish i did then i could get a discount they are more money but i like them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.