4 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,452 Thanks
  • 6,337 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Got the 3 to 5" snow plowed today in Indiana.  Last time out with my Horse D-180 I had MORE trouble with carb. I hit a snow bank hard and it faltered. Ran it out of gas. Filled but It would only run on full choke, yet ran great! So, finished and put away. Today, I went out and it did not fire at all! Had to use start fluid to fire, which was right away, yet took some spraying to get it to stay running. Even then was half-choke. After warm-up it finally ran off choke and seemed OK. Went out and did the work and came back. Running great. I could lower to idle, rev up any where. SO, why does this carb act a diff way each time I take it out? I've had to tickle adjustment screws sometimes and recovers with barely touching them at times. Other times have to get air cleaner off and mess more. I'm trying not to tear down till summer IF it holds up that long. Last summer had NO issues at all, just seems to be in cold weather. I do get that falter when bumping hard snow banks still. Think the float is set wrong? I'm really hating this tractor since I bought it. 40 acres to turn it, the carb problems, takes up too much space. Just buy it from me!

• hamman said thank you

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,498 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Maybe some water ice got in there causing problems.  ???

• Alc, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Are you using a modern "rubber tip" needle in the carburetor? I have had issues with them sticking intermittently.

This is a Kohler right? Does gas drip out of the carb when you are trying to start the engine over and over?

I once had a Bolens 1476 that did the same thing when plowing snow. It would skip a beat when I hit the snow bank. I never did figure it out. Timing was set by the SSI, and I cleaned and tuned the carburetor many times.

Edited by bread320i, March 02, 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'd also wonder about water in the fuel. When you ran it out of gas it may have sucked up some water or gunk that was in the bottom of the tank. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,441 Thanks
  • 7,332 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 06:39 AM

Sounds like water in the gas, except at this time of year its a piece of ice. It will move around and cause intermittent problems. Store a can of gas in a heated area. Warm the engine up. Turn off the engine, add the warm gas, restart the engine and wait awhile. I sometimes use a heater on my diesel fuel tank but I never dared use it on a gas tank. Once it is running good, keep the tank full, ad gas when it is warm and you are just about to use it. Good Luck, Rick