#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hey David, hope you don't mind us hijacking your thread...may help ya when ya sell parts off your truck.

I went out and did some more googling on this swap thing for trannies, found some good info from some tranny guys out there.

Well...the "E" is electronic, the 4L60E IS a 700R4 based on it's lineage, except there is no TV cable, and the PCM has control over it. It won't work correctly without PCM control. No idea if any diesel 4L60E's exist that had a standalone computer.

4L60 (no "E") is a 700R4 though, that was just a change in how GM described them...4 forward speeds, longitudal (I have no idea how to word that) mounting, 60 being relative strength. (same break down as a 4L80E for example) A 4T60E would be tranverse (FWD) application.

gm changed name from 700r4 to 4L60 in 91, when they also debuted the 4L80e. A couple years later they started making them electronic, 4l60E.

I can't find anything saying the 4L60E existed prior to '93, car or truck. I personally don't believe it did. The 4L80E was first in 1991, and it took a couple of years for the 4L60E to come out. I believe if anyone thinks they saw a 4L60E prior to '93, it was a 4L80E. If there was a 4L60E available in '91, it would HAVE to be in the service manual for that year or an addendum, period. If the documentation doesn't exist, neither did the transmission

1.4L60E year differences and interchanges.

None of the '93 -'97 4L60E's are directly interchangeable, except '93 and '94 and '96 and '97!!! Here's a list of yearly differences that will show you why. Yes, some years will fit in others and may not even throw a code, but there will be an issue in the long run. The big issues become forced 3-2 downshifts, and converter lock up issues and burnt lock up clutches. When a converter cluych cause it to lose lock up, the 3-4 clutches, in the transmission will soon follow because the 3-4's need lock up to keep them cool while cruising in overdrive.

1993: These were used in TRUCKS only. Not available in F-Bodies, B-Bodies, or Vettes

1994: Interchangeable with '93 4L60E with no modifications. The '93-'94 is a NON PWM transmission. This means that the lock up apply strategy is an on /off arrangement. It has an 11 pin case connector. Does not have PWM cast into front pump. 1 piece TCC control valve in the valve body. Plate has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve

1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year. This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump. Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. Has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognise new TCC strategy., and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up. '96 computer isn't compatible with '96 3-2 control solenoid.

1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The TCC control solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valvebody casting, and seperator plate. Has holes in plate marked in diagram. '94 or '95 computer will not accept the 20-31 OHM 3-2 solenoid and will throw an SES light and throw the transmission into limp mode. Some less knowledgeable builders will swap the solenoid so the computer will see the correct resistance, but the valve itself then causes downshift issues. If only the solenoid is changed, it will result in a 3-2 downshift cut loose. In other words...3-neutral-2 downshift. Speedo moved to passenger side of tail housing, but easily changed.

1997: Basically the same as '96.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 01:39 PM

id like to find a truck around that year. Short box reg cab 4x4

Funny! With all the Sub-Zero snowy weather we have been getting as much as I like my Tractor, a Beater with a Heater  is sounding awful good !! And a Short Box 4x4 with plow is heavy on my mind.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 03, 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 03:04 PM

Funny! With all the Sub-Zero snowy weather we have been getting as much as I like my Tractor, a Beater with a Heater  is sounding awful good !! And a Short Box 4x4 with plow is heavy on my mind.

I don't even want a plow.  Plodding along in my Camry in 8" of snow was interesting today.  I felt weird out there passing stuck cars and trucks without a care in the world in my little car.

Maybe I don't need 4x4?

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:58 AM

I don't even want a plow.  Plodding along in my Camry in 8" of snow was interesting today.  I felt weird out there passing stuck cars and trucks without a care in the world in my little car.

Maybe I don't need 4x4?

In general I think most 4x4's are sold for keeping up with the Jones's more than people needing 4x4 to get around.

In Fact the last two times I have been in the ditch it was because I was driving an S-10 4X4. The short wheelbase and high center of gravity can spin around in a heartbeat on ice. Both times I was able to drive out on my own though.

My current commuter is an Isusu Axiom with 4 wheel drive, but I use the 4 wd feature rarely.

The place I have found it a real assett is when I am in the city, getting up hills and away from stoplights.

Once I'm out on the highways i run in 2wd. I have a 45 mile commute to the city and home. .

If I only plowed my drive I could stand the Tractor. But I have 1/4 mile of gravel lane leading to the Drive running east & west. With the prevailing winds from the North and West it gets awful cold running back and forth up that on a slow moving tractor knocking back the drifts. That's where I wish for the beater with a heater.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 04, 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#20 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have a 4l65e in my 2002 Yukon Denali.