23 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:46 PM

I split wood all spring summer and fall to off set my oil cost.  Free heat is better than oil heat.

But since I've moved to WV through the week and my wife and kids are in Ohio I haven't been able to burn the wood.  She is relying solely on the oil.  I can't trust her to use the wood stove. 

I told her to start putting back 300 bucks a month to pay for oil.  I am going to buy a second tank install it, then fill them both.   That way I can take advantage of summer fill programs.

• hamman, oldedeeres and JoeMopar have said thanks

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Tonight, this area is supposed to break the all-time record low for the month of March.  We've been running about 20*F under normal temps.

They just showed the long range April - June temperature forecast and it was well below normal for the whole Great Lakes region due to the ice cover on the lakes.  They were predicting a very late start to the shipping season.

• marlboro180 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:58 PM

Well here in WI we broke the record for most days below 0, a record I didn't care to be a part of. No one asked if anyone wanted to be a part of this record breaking event :mad2:

Our last tank fill was the end of our pre-pay, and by the look of the future we are going to be needing another one still before summer. If we get summer this year!

• trowel said thank you

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 06:44 AM

My SIL paid $4.05  gl for heating oil the other day , with this cold weather it was $800 for a little over a month  :( And that's not including hot water !  Old house with no insulation .

• trowel said thank you

#20 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Just got what should be my last load of fuel for the season,,,3.75 a gal. Hopefully it warms up,just sick of the cold.
  • trowel said thank you

#21 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:10 PM

We're paying $1.28 a litre--the same as a U.S.A. quart--  for heating oil, and so far have spent better than $1500.00 this winter. Plus 12 cords of pine at $75.00 a cord.. There have been more days of -30 this year than ever recorded before, and we still have over 30" of snow on the level. Are we ready for spring? You betcha!!!

• powerking56 and trowel have said thanks

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:30 AM

Talked to a fellow who uses a pellet stove , he buys 3 tons in the summer for the year and still has some left over but this year he went though almost all and figures needing another 1/2 ton , but the problem is pellets are getting hard to find with so many people who are using it now . He also used 275 gl of heating oil mostly for hot water .

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 07:19 AM

My SIL paid $4.05  gl for heating oil the other day , with this cold weather it was $800 for a little over a month  :( And that's not including hot water !  Old house with no insulation .

Sounds like the house im in, built in 1840's (pre civil war) next to what use to be the first house that was built in the 1700's.

Mass is a old cold state.

March is the last month of the winter fuel oil before paying full price, i really hope it come very soon, fuel truck was here on Monday.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 293 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:01 AM

East Central Indiana. I did a late December LP fill @ $2.35 a gallon and only had around 35% by the last of January. We were warned not to call unless we were down to 10% or less. My water heater and furnace both use the LP. The December fill usually lasts me until summer fill, so I broke out two kerosene heaters and put one at each end of the house. That helped but I ended up buying another and put it on the dining room table and turned on the ceiling fan to help distrubute the heat. I've paid anywhere between $4.299 to $4.599 a gallon for Kerosene since. I also put one electric heater in the kitchen and one upstairs. Thank goodness this is coming to an end, (19°F right now with a high of 37 later today) I

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks