#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 02:56 PM

I am tired of paying for heating oil!

2 200 gallon fill ups and need another to finish the winter. Probably use 500 gallons this winter total!

I'm over this. Almost 3.5 gallons a day to keep the house 68 degrees.

I'd hate to know what we would of used if I wouldn't of been burning wood till december. Probably 800 gallons!

If I was home the wood keeps the house nice and warm with the oil only running when we aren't home. Now the wife is home 24/7 so there is no break. Gotta keep em warm though!
  • powerking56, Alc and hamman have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 04:31 PM

I am well into my 4th ton of pellets and burning wood like crazy so you are not alone in this.  cant wait for the warm weather.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 04:36 PM

I think I will have to get an extra ton of coal this year. Sure am getting tired of stoking the stove.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 05:42 PM

I  am going to run out of wood at the in laws in Lisbon, close at the house in Keene, but I've also used more oil in Keene already that I usually do ALL heating season, about 150 gallons.  Co worker just got oil delivered @ $3.99 per gallon, over fifty cents more than we are paying for gasoline,  :bs: Forecast next week looks like January type frigid temps again :wallbanging:   I guess buying seeds for the garden just didn't change the weather patterns.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 07:25 PM

My occupation is Heating and Cooling Not much cooling lately?? It's been very exhausting both mentally and physically for me this year.

If you check your local weather map in the news paper There is a small section that has degree days listed.
Local one is 23% higher than last years total already and no end to the cold weather in sight.

With the increase in cost for every form of energy it's going to be a tough winter to pay the bills. I put a heat pump in a while back however it doesn't work well below 25 to 30 degrees, Haven't run it for most of the winter!

We've been burning a pellet furnace but the pellet supply is getting thin, About 2 to 3 weeks left at the rate I've been burning them, lucky for me my pellet burner can burn corn or other types of grain.
Locally pro-pain has gotten hard to find, fuel oil is in the $4 range so there aren't a lot of choices if you can't hook into natural gas.

I would join the witness protection program if I had come up with the idea of Global Warming.

Edited by Arti, March 01, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• Alc, jpackard56, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Last Monday my Propane was $3.59/gal. Only got 211 or so and was still $800 bill!  I'm feeling lucky tho that the fuel is still avail to me and price is much lower than what I'm hearing for others.  It's a Co-op, maybe that makes diff? Seems like boiler never shuts down or not long anyway when it gets below 20*. Yep, 10 day forcasts I look at still don't show much more warm yet. End of next week might see a 40* day.

• Alc said thank you

#7 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:17 PM

We avg. 1000 gals of fuel oil year round, last delivery about a week ago was 3.96 / gal. WTF !

• Alc said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Before I insulated & tightened up this 89 year old house a few years ago, I went through 1000 to 1,200 gallons of propane a season.  Now I usually get through with 800.  So far I've burned 650+.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:13 PM

My old fisher wood burning stove has seen 2.5 cords and its only march 1st the only time it shuts down is to clean it out
  • Alc said thank you

#10 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:23 PM

I came home to a $650 propane bill hanging on the doorknob. I keep the place at 60, just me and my Springer Spaniel here, and she doesn't complain. I bought a couple of electric heaters on eBay-total of $85- we shall see how much the electric bill goes up. Now most of the house is in the high 50s, my living room and bedroom get the heat.
  • Alc and jpackard56 have said thanks

#11 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:20 PM

I work for a local farmers cooperative and as of friday, LP dropped to $1.99.  First time under 2 bucks since....well, since what seems forever.  My home is over 100 years, and if not for some electric baseboard heaters, a few new windows, and a little more insulation in the attic, I would have burned a lot more LP.  Still run through 1000+ gallons though.  Water heater is LP too.  Luckily I contracted for $1.20, so it hasn't hit the wallet as bad as some.  Hate to say it, but around here, this is a typical winter...we just have been spoiled the past few years.  Though enough is enough already....when are my 40 degree days gonna start!  

• olcowhand, Alc, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Got oddly lucky this afternoon. My wifes grandfather called out of the blue and said he just drained 3 55 gallon drums of off road diesel from a tank on a job site. He didn't want to store it and just wanted it gone so he came over and dropped it off and pumped it into the tank. 165 gallons of free heat! Couldnt of came at a better time.

Knowing him though my wife was probably complaining to her mom that we were needing more fuel oil so he went and bought it and dropped it off with that story. He is a good guy. I told my wife to offer him what its worth but all he would accept was a piece of choclate pie. She does make good choclate pie.
  • olcowhand, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Weird how things come together some times,  I stopped yesterday to a friends house, got to talking and complaining about the winter and the cold.  turned out she had an old pellet stove that does not work and about 20 bags of pellets left over, she owed me a favor and gave me the pellets.  any little bit help rite!!

• Alc said thank you

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:09 AM

I have a heat pump for the upstairs and a propane heater for the basement. Electric bill has been a little high for the last few months, not too bad but very noticable. I tried to get the propane tank filled before the snow storm the other week, was quoted $4.80/gal. whne they finally did fill it it was $4.99/gal. Luckily I only have a 120gal tank.

I dont know how you folks in cold weather country do it, you must save all year so you can have heating money for the winter.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I have a heat pump for the upstairs and a propane heater for the basement. Electric bill has been a little high for the last few months, not too bad but very noticable. I tried to get the propane tank filled before the snow storm the other week, was quoted $4.80/gal. whne they finally did fill it it was $4.99/gal. Luckily I only have a 120gal tank.

I dont know how you folks in cold weather country do it, you must save all year so you can have heating money for the winter.

I don't have air conditioning, so it's not a year round thing. Don't know how people pay for both.
  • Alc said thank you