• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 11:31 PM

The weather channel has issued a province wide wind warning for tonight/tomorrow. Wind chills well over -60 with mean temps. of -40 or more. Happy March, everybody!!
  • MH81, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 11:41 PM

Same thing down here. -30* F last night and a high of 14* F today. Winds of 25 - 30 MPH tomorrow with 2 - 4 " of snow tonight. Supposed to get to 10 -12 * F tomorrow actual temp. I thing March is going to came in like a Lion and I sure hope for all of us it goes out like a Lamb.  Stay safe, stay warm.         Roger.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:46 AM

In like a Lion, out like a Tiger!  I don't look for early spring, gonna be a cold and wet one this year. Now they say might even be a cool summer........sheesh!  Here in IN someday someone just throws a switch and it is summer!  No gradual, it just shows up all at once, usually early June before really warm.

• hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 05:36 AM

I just heard of a prediction that says we will have snow in the fields in the middle of April. Man, that thought is about depressing. I enjoy the snowplowing, but I had enough for one year. 

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Brrr, no thank you.
Please be careful.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 07:02 AM

It was really cold and windy here yesterday with snow squalls and slippery spots where the wind was blowing the snow across the sun warmed pavement. This morning it was -20C, - 4F here but calm and clear. It looks like a lamb here but one that's been in the deep freeze. 

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:08 AM

In like a Lion, out like a Tiger!  I don't look for early spring, gonna be a cold and wet one this year. Now they say might even be a cool summer........sheesh!  Here in IN someday someone just throws a switch and it is summer!  No gradual, it just shows up all at once, usually early June before really warm.

If I might draw your attention to a forecast which was made sometime in November, from the Weather Channel, they claimed that the jet stream was going to settle down and that while the most northern states would be colder than average through February, that the South and Central areas of the states would enjoy a warmer than average winter.  While I was focused mainly on NC where I live, as I recall the "warmer" area included anything south of the Great Lakes.  With snow and ice storms TWICE in Atlanta and other southern states, it would seem they missed the mark badly back in November.

And frankly, I wish they would quit making long range forecasts if they can't get the accuracy up.  

• hamman, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,708 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:18 AM

In addition to Howard's comments, They have missed the mark for January and February as well.  So don't take stock in these long range forecasts.  Heck they can't seem to get the short range that accurate.

• hamman, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Who cares how the dang thing comes and exits as long as it does soon!! :wallbanging:

• hamman, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:54 AM

They have changed the forecast 5 times in the last 2 days.

This weekend was 1 to 4 at home. Then 6 to 10 now 6 to 12.

Morgantown 1 or less then 4 to 8 now 1 to 2.

They have no clue

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 01, 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#11 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:15 AM

I just heard of a prediction that says we will have snow in the fields in the middle of April.  

PA plow day in mid-April may be a different type of plowing this year.

I can just see half the tractors with snow plows clearing the way. :thumbs:

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:23 AM

It's the "crying wolf" that bothers me. Being the creatures that we are, we soon stop believing the forecasts that call for extremes and then don't deliver. Someday there will be a terrible loss because we have become desensitised to the warnings. It didn't get as cold as predicted here, only -38 with a light breeze, and with close to 300lbs. of furry dogs in the house ready to hop on the bed  if the wood fire went out, who'da cared if He!! froze over anyway, lol.

• hamman, jpackard56 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am no farmer but i heard over the years the longer the snow cover on the ground the better the hay season? Any truth behind this?

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:37 AM

It's the "crying wolf" that bothers me. Being the creatures that we are, we soon stop believing the forecasts that call for extremes and then don't deliver. Someday there will be a terrible loss because we have become desensitised to the warnings. It didn't get as cold as predicted here, only -38 with a light breeze, and with close to 300lbs. of furry dogs in the house ready to hop on the bed  if the wood fire went out, who'da cared if He!! froze over anyway, lol.

To an extent this does happen with hurricanes.  Over dramatizing of predicted hurricane winds and storm surge, with then fizzle.  Small wonder people begin to say " We'll just ride it out".  Then one day the hurricane meets or exceeds all predictions, and major loss of life.  I don't mind some forecasting, but would truly prefer less "confidence" about the prediction.  Maybe there should be some "truth in advertising" laws applied here:

Our forecast calls for rain tomorrow, but we are right only 30 % of the time.  Pay attention to the radar in a few hours to see what will really happen. 

#15 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 124 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 04:12 PM

In like a lamb here in western PA, mid 40's.  First time in a while, but that is bad news if lore says it will be out like a lion.  Still lots of snow on the ground & they are saying 6-12 tomorrow.  Warm up the snow blower!

Skip