#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I had read on a post here that someone had moved an electric lift switch to the hydro lever ! I wonder if anyone else has done this. I went looking for a momentary on off switch with a spring return today but none to be had. I think one from a plow truck would work. I don't know what the AMP draw is on the lift motor and I guess that is my question. The other is how have you mounted it and did you hard wire it or did you use a coiled wire?
I want to do this so that when I am tilling or plowing snow I can keep a hand on the steering wheel and not have to look down to find the ift / lower switch. I have a lot of tilling to do this spring and it would of been nice to have it for snow plowing this winter. Thanks for any help . Roger.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:57 PM

I would think you would have to run the swith to a solnoid to handle the current that the lift motor would pull.
Western plows sells a heavy duty solnoid for about $20.Meyer plows used to have momentary toggle switchs and speedway motors sells a push button switch with a rubber button cover.
Hopes this helps you a bit.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Roger, what is the current wiring on the switch? I think you could just piggy back and re route. If it what I think it is, you'd need 6 conductor wire.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:16 AM

http://www.morrispro...on-off-on-B.asp
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062530
  • hamman and trowel have said thanks

#5 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Burntime put this same idea into my head...but for an electric chute rotator on the hydro lift handle. however, the hydro lift  "knob" isnt thick enough to allow the switch to be installed inside of it. the "knob" would have to be changed to something with more meat in order to hollow it out. i thought of making something more elongated out of wood and making the switch thumb activated.

the electrical system should handle the draw since it is made for these machines. maybe an inline 20amp fuse for piece of mind. wiring is very simple...2 to power source and 2 to the lift. the switch just reverses polarity.

here ya go....id get 2 in case 1 goes bad.

http://www.autozone....questid=3193459

any RV or boat store should have these too in case you have one of those closer to ya. this is the same switch that is on electric tongue jacks......which is where mine came from.

Edited by cityboy2977, March 01, 2014 - 10:37 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have to get the extra Hydro lever out and do some expeimenting on it. I need a switch that has a two way middle nuetral spring loaded switch. I am to particular because I want it to be a rocker switch that is easy to use with one finger or the thumb.  I have this picture in my mind but can't draw it and can't find a picture of the switch. I have a wireing diagram of the switch and motor and I will get them out in a while and figure out waht I am going to do. I believe there is a switch like that for boats cityboy. I remember seeing one on the boat of a friends. I will post some pics later after I get the lever out and mock up a switch on it before I try it on the tractor. MH, thanks for the links. I may be able to get the rocker switch just like those. My son works for a electrical component company and I believe they make switches also. He is a sales rep and I am sure he will know what the right name and size I need is.   The more I think on it the harder I try to make it.  Thanks guys I will keep you informed.     Roger.

#7 littlemarv OFFLINE  

littlemarv
  • Member No: 34218
  • 61 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Take a peek at this.....

http://www.coleherse...arity_switches/

I'm pretty sure thats what I used, the tractor is a little too buried in the shed for me to go double check.
  • hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:39 PM

That's the one. Thanks. Roger.

#9 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 11:09 PM

the one you seen on a boat was for the motor/outdrive lift.

the link to autozone is of a rocker switch. just a lower profile than the one in the other link. i have a couple of those and they work pretty good.

#10 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:23 PM

I have purchased momentary reversing switches from RadioShack in the past that would handle the load. Unfortunately RadioShack is not what it used to be