28 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:00 PM

As I'm working through this, I'm beginning to understand why the four gang disc might be so popular, despite leaving furrows on each side of the disc.  All of the opposing forces are concentrated in the disk and the tractor isn't as involved.  It also means that you can make very large 4 gang discs, put wheels under it, and just tow it on its own wheels easily.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 07:55 PM

GE 011.JPG GE 013.JPG

GE 014.JPG GE 015.JPG

I did more work to this disc today.  I put a final piece from front to back on the left side, then added some angle iron across the front-rear pieces as support, because the 1/4 bar where the discs were mounted was bending.  However, even after that bracing the bar bent both front and rear.  I knew it was iffy, but didn't expect it to bend after I got it supported.  I rigged a temporary hitch and put nearly 100 lbs on the rear disc.  It tracked better, but I'm still thinking a three point style hitch will be needed.  It looks like I need to align the discs better somehow though it is difficult to tell with the distortion from the bent mounting bars.  I probably need to try this again with something stronger.  I may also go ahead and implement my design for a welded and modular frame.

• Alc, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Sounds like you have the right plan in mind. Good luck!

#19 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Easiest way on a tandem action disk harrow to keep it from trenching on the ends of the gangs is to taper the blades as they go out.  Our 16' disk at the farm is setup this way.  The last three blades on the end get progresively smaller.  Main disk blades are 22" first step down is 20" second from end is 18" and end one is 16".  These are on the back gang only and the front gang is all the big blades.  Offset like you are building will naturally want to track off cause the gangs are cutting in different directions and trying to "turn".  I am interested in how you solve the issues you are having with it.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Here's some pics of a full size offset disk. Its an MF. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• img1.jpg
  • img2.jpg
  • img3.jpg
  • img4.jpg
  • img5.jpg
  • img6.jpg
  • img7.jpg

• KennyP, HowardsMF155 and trowel have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm wondering if the angle on one set was a bit less if it would pull better?

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#22 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Kenny

Your right .  if your angle was a bit less it would be less aggressive in the field , plus pull a lot easier too.  Just might take a few more passes

Edited by rdehli, March 11, 2014 - 09:21 AM.

• KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#23 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hello Howard,

Have you made any progress on your disk?

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Not a lot.  I took some time to pull it all apart, now I have to put it back together with stronger disk mount members.  I'm staying pretty busy with school and interviews right now, but I hope to get into it maybe late in April??  Of course by then it will be about time for finals, and graduation.  Then, I'm not sure.  If I get the job I've been interviewing for, it won't start till late July.  While I would like to take more computer classes, maybe I can slow down a little bit and get some projects done.

Of course, no matter how urgently school presses, a nice warm sunny day has a way of giving me extreme cabin fever.

• Alc, sacsr and Gabriel have said thanks

#25 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:19 PM

thanks for the update. keep us posted
  • Gabriel said thank you

#26 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 02:45 PM

An update of sorts for those who are following this.  Here in NC, even this year I should have been planting by April 15th, and might have gotten away with planting a week or two earlier.  Because I've been focused on school, however, I haven't done much with my garden.

My last class was Monday evening, then Tuesday was a full day, and Wednesday I started working on my garden.  I wanted to add some compost, so I hauled in 4 cubic yards of the stuff, spread it, then used the Gravely rotary plow to mix it in.  However, there were a lot of uneven areas in the garden, so I wanted to do something to level it.  I wanted to return to this disk project because I knew it would do a good job smoothing things out, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it because I'm afraid my potatoes will rot shortly.  I'd thought about what someone in this thread said about smaller disks at the outside edges, but I knew I couldn't find anything smaller than the current disk size.  It occurred to me that if I tilted the angled gangs in the correct direction, I could "pick-up" the outside disks which would make for smaller furrows.  So, I spent about two hours putting disks back together and came up with this.

GE 003.JPG GE 002.JPG GE 001.JPG

Note that it leans forward, which raises the outside disks and most certainly leaves less of a furrow.  Not quite what I want yet, but good enough for this years garden to go in.

• Alc, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#27 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the update! Does it do a nice job?

#28 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 10:11 PM

I mainly wanted it for some leveling prior to planting my garden.  Between me digging trenches to bury the fall's leaves and have a bonfire and the kids digging holes etc. it was pretty uneven, even after I plowed it with the Gravely.  It did a nice job of knocking down the high spots and filling in the low spots, so I'm happy enough with it for now.  I'll be trying it again on someone else's garden in a day or two, see how it works then.

ge 027.JPG ge 028.JPG GE 002.JPG

It looks to me like it is getting good penetration here.  Of course, since I just plowed this entire plot with the Gravely, it ought to be sinking up to the axles.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 08, 2014 - 10:13 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 04:57 AM