• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I may be coming down for a few days my son wants to check out a school down there

I am trying to hold him off til May after he graduates the local Comm college but he is being (way too) pushy about coming down Spring break week  the week of 3/11....

I have never been to TX and have no idea what its like down there

The school he is wanting to look at is S A M  "school of Automotive machinists"  

What's close for a few day motel stay???  decent neighborhood, within 1/2 hour, and wont break the bank? 

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Huh..... nobody that knows the area? From what I understand this school is on Houston's West side  in or near what is called the "energy Corridor" HELP   I know nothing of the area I was hoping someone here did, and would reply....

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 09:54 AM

The only member even close is Texas Deere & Horse that I know of. But he is over by San Antonio.

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:14 PM

well we went and are back now; wound up in Brookshire for the motel, a lil farther out than I wanted to be (casualty of being so unfamiliar with the area)  School seems OK but EXPENSIVE  and  doesn't even include housing for the kid... wow Houston is high rent!!!! gonna cost more for a 1 br apt than my mortgage is costin me here

Hit a deer before I even got outta IL on the way down; found an O'Reillys that was open with 20 mins to go for  the nite, replaced radiator in the Durango in their parking lot,  and kept going  Just yesterday got my AC condenser and p/s hose from the parts store my kid works at

Had to take Tuesday off to hit the junkyards for a driver fender and  grill. But I found a rustfree fender that is even the same color... had to go a lil farther from home than the yards I usually frequent to a yard I had never been to...   but the $ I save by not having to paint it is worth it... the deer took out my radiator, my AC condenser, grille, driver headlite and driver fender  I have about $550 out so far in buying parts to fix...with me doing all the work. I think I have everything now, will find out this weekend when I go to change out the parts I have.

Texas... made me jealous because they are MOWING GRASS already....  gas is cheap compared to here (so is AR and MO)  I do not understand why IL has to gouge us on that, so bad.... I could tell as soon as I was out of IL. the roads got smooth and the medians were mowed and not littered with garbage...

also in TX.. lotsa fullsize trucks, but it seems that anyone that has a car has a lousy Toyota... yuck... that I will never be able to bring myself to do... I expected to see alot more 60s/70s cars being driven around, like when I was in vegas 5 years ago but no, everyone down there seems to be able to afford new...

Edited by dodge trucker, March 20, 2014 - 08:16 PM.