• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:21 AM

My thought process on this is much the same as others who have posted. Very, very rarely can anything be restored without investing more than it's worth however, you need to define the word "worth". If it's as simple as what it sells for then no, you're most likely not gonna turn a profit by restoring it (unless you're doing it FOR someone else with deep pockets) but each machine may or may not have a different degree of worth to me personally.
For instance, I paid pretty much fair market value for my Sears and although I haven't put too much into it I'd still be lucky to break even if I sold it, however, I've spent probably 100+ hours on that machine pushing snow this winter...what's that worth in terms of paying someone else to do it or in terms of the time savings for me vs. shoveling? That's when it gets sticky and it's up to the individual to decide. Even though I paid what I consider to be a decent amount of money for it I couldn't have touched a new tractor for that same amount and would the new one hold up the same way? I doubt it.
There's also another factor at play for me; I think history (a.k.a. vintage) has it's own value. (And no, I don't think it's worth a fortune because it's "rare", it just has a value to ME personally) I like the history, the character, the personality and so on that the vintage equipment has.
Simply replacing tires on a tractor can exceed it's "value" in terms of what it will sell for but if that machine does countless jobs for me over the course of years and years that's a little harder to put a price on. I'd rather spend 10 times what one of these old machines is "worth" fixing it up so I have a well built piece of equipment that will outlast me than spend money on new junk that will cost me more in the long run and besides, it gives me something fun to do to maintain my sanity (did I mention what therapy costs? Lol).
With that being said though, this is a decision that needs to be made on an individual basis, whatever is right for you is what you need to look at.

Edited by Walkinman1, March 01, 2014 - 09:22 AM.

• MH81, HDWildBill and dodge trucker have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:07 AM

OCH has a good point.  There are several of us leaning how to weld and even though my welds don't look very pretty they seem to hold and that's what counts.  There are also some very good threads on Welding.

As far as the expense vs hobby goes I think that boils down to what you enjoy.  I enjoy the fixing and work involved in getting a piece of equipment back into shape.  Normally I don't keep the equipment (unless it is something I can really use) so the cost associated with fixing it up does come into play.  On the other hand I do have some equipment that I just love and it doesn't make a difference on what it will cost to fix, it is going to get fixed.  So I think it just boils down to what is it worth to you.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,696 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:24 AM

I am agreeing with almost every word I am reading in this thread. Post after post, I'm shaking my head in affirmation....
Then I realized its kinda like one inmate asking the others if he's nutz.
  • HowardsMF155, trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 07:12 AM

I am agreeing with almost every word I am reading in this thread. Post after post, I'm shaking my head in affirmation....
Then I realized its kinda like one inmate asking the others if he's nutz.

Kind of puts my life into prospective,.......

Edited by trowel, March 02, 2014 - 07:14 AM.

• MH81 said thank you