• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm thinking that I'd like to have some parts on my Simplicity 728 restoration project powder-coated. I had in mind the wheels and the engine tin. The front wheels and eng tin are not shown in the photo.

728disassembledIII_zps79ec71bb.jpeg

Edited by thom, February 27, 2014 - 08:00 PM.

• hamman, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:08 PM

PC is getting real popular lately. I met a guy back in the summer & he PC motorcycle frames. He got me real interested because it's not that complicated with small parts. Having a heat source or a box for baking is mostly the problem with the larger parts. Keep us posted.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:17 PM

I would not even think of doing the whole engine.First off it would have to be compleately taken apart down to the bare block then most power coaters sand or bead blast down to bare metal and you will be picking the grit out of every nook and bolt hole for days and still not get it all out.Plus the blasting could damage some machined surfaces.

Just clean the engine good and find the color you want in a ratttle can and mask it off and paint it.It will last a long time except maybe by exauste port.

I remember reading in the forum awile back about painting engines,lots of good info.

Save yourself a head ache---------just my 2 cents.

• Alc, trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:28 PM

I did a fair bit of powder coating a few years back.

The Eastwood kit and an old electric oven work great for smaller stuff. A clean dry air supply is a must, as well as a breeze free booth. Custom colours can be ordered from several spots. We have black white and silver in 50lb boxes. I've done some other colours as well, but only in the one or two pieces at a time.Only needs a minimal 3 psi air supply, parts need to reach 400F for 20 minutes or so, IIRC, to cure properly, parts must be squeaky clean and free of fingerprints.

We used a standard kitchen oven for all our small parts. Any thing that can be hung can be cured.

We also have a 6000 watt 480V Infrared heater as well, but being directional, it takes constant attention and rotation during cure to get a good coat.

A lot of local shops use the process now days. Our Fab shop has an oven big enough for a car, or a 20' skid shack. you may want to source out your larger parts to a pro if you want bigger stuff done.

When properly done, it's a very nice durable coating, and custom effects can be done if you know how.
  • Alc, IamSherwood, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:31 PM

I like the finish of PC, and think you are on the right track putting it in places where it's unlikely to see wear of damage.  That stuff gives up the ghost fast if it chips or wears through, and it cannot be touched up like paint can.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:37 PM

saw this listed this week...

ov2.jpg

Powder coat business - $3500 (Ct)

Goodluck!

• Alc said thank you

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:09 AM

A question for those who have powder coated items.  What temperature can it withstand before re-melting?  Just wondering if it would work on any engine tins directly above the head as the OP intends.

My problem with powder coating is that once it chips off anywhere, you can expect it to peel off in large sheets.  I've always assumed this was do to improper prep work but it seem to be a pretty widespread problem with just about any PC items I've dealt with.  It doesn't seem to have anywhere near the adhesion properties of a good paint.

Edited by Canawler, February 28, 2014 - 09:10 AM.

• Alc, IamSherwood and Chopperhed have said thanks

#8 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:41 AM

I've powder coated a seat pan for a project and am very happy with the finish, is that an old Studebaker in the back ground?

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:54 PM

A question for those who have powder coated items.  What temperature can it withstand before re-melting?  Just wondering if it would work on any engine tins directly above the head as the OP intends.

My problem with powder coating is that once it chips off anywhere, you can expect it to peel off in large sheets.  I've always assumed this was do to improper prep work but it seem to be a pretty widespread problem with just about any PC items I've dealt with.  It doesn't seem to have anywhere near the adhesion properties of a good paint.

#10 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:41 PM

TGuiles, yes that is a 1955 Studebaker half-ton that I'm resurrecting . It is now on a 1987 Dodge Dakota frame & suspension. I plan to use a 305 engine and 700R4 trans out of a '91 Caprice that I have. My have two grandsons whos last name is Coffey so ...coffeybros_zps4c0869ac.jpeg

• Sawdust said thank you