• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Here is a scan of an ad for a tractor I've been researching for awhile now with little success. This is a Wards walk behind from 36 or 37 and uses the Hummer E2 engine. I bought a frame for one of these years ago and haven't done much with it. I did pick up some Hummer partsd engines with the intentions of putting the engine on it. In the ad, the gas tank is on top the head and appears to have a gravity feed carb. All the Hummer engines I've seen have a suction feed carb and the tank is below. This tractor has a lot of parts that look like Bolens model A power hoe. A lot of times Wards would tip off who made the tractor by the shipping location. They were often shipped straight from the manufacturer. This ad lists the tractor as being shipped from Fort Worth TX but I haven't found a tractor mfg there. Anybody here have any ideas or ever seen one??

Attached Thumbnails

• bolenshummer.jpg

• Bill56, dryrun, Columbia236 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Doug, thanks for posting this ad. I remember seeing these in my area, regretably, most have go to salvage when prices got up. would like to hear more about hummer engine, and any pics you could post of your engines and frame.

Thanks George
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Here are a couple of youtube video of a similar tractor

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#4 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1930
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi, New member here. I was under the impression that the Montgomery Wards Garden Tractors were made by both Simplicity( the major supplier) or the Midland Tractor company. There is a lot of info floating around the net about the Simplicity tractors, though not so much about the Midlands. The one in the drawing in the ad looks like a Simplicity, but I am not an expert by any means. I do know one of the later tractors in the late 40s called the ChorTrac was the same a the Midlands Dandy Boy Clipper.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the videos and the ad, DougT

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 05:37 AM

metalwiz :welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.
  • metalwiz said thank you

#7 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1930
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 03:47 PM

Once I enlarged the AD and got a better look, ( welder's eyes) I will have to retract my statement above. Simplicity and Midland were the major producers of the Montgomery Ward two wheelers, but if the drawiong in the ad is correct, neither of the two could be the producere of the AD tractor. Both Simp and Midland are left side drive, and the above tractor appears to be right side. The only other walk behind producer that made tractors for MW was Waterbury, in Waterbury CONN. It was a division of Vickers in the 30s-50s. Some are right side drive, although I don't know they all were. Will try to add a pic of the Waterbury. Dalewaterburytool4pb.jpg
  • DougT said thank you

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 04:16 PM

:wave: metalwiz Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you on board and thanks for jumping right in to help out! BTW we love pics here, so if you have a collection, we'd love to see it!

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:56 AM

Metalwiz Dale, Thanks for the thoughts on the Wards tractor. I'm aware of the common 3 makers for the Wards but this one has had us stumped for quite a while now. One thing we've noticed is that in the Wards catalogs they evidently had the tractors shipped direct from the mfg when they had a catalog order. At the bottom of the ad they would put "shipped FOB from" This is usually Port Washington for the Simplicity, Milwaukee for the Midland and Waterbury for their tractors. Down at the bottom of the ad I posted it says FOB Fort Worth TX. I can't even find anyone making tractors in Fort Worth to compare. The Hummer engine was only produced 36 and 37. I'm going to post some photos showing similarities to the early Bolens tractors. It may be hard to make out because of their location. The orange tractor is the Wards and the red tractor is a Bolens model A power hoe. Note that the handle bars only have one fixed handle and the second slides to help control the cultivator. The piece that holds the wheel on is the same and I think it even has the same cast part number. Another similarity is the drive. The pulley sheave is split and one half the pulley drives one wheel and the other half drives the other wheel. the early Bolens drives the same way.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00381.jpg
  • DSC00382.jpg
  • DSC00384.jpg
  • DSC00385.jpg
  • DSC00380.jpg

Edited by DougT, February 02, 2011 - 04:01 PM.
add pictures

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Drat! thanks for reminding me of past mistakes I have made. I had one of those about 10 yrs ago with the original motor 4 hp Clinton I think.
I painted it AC Orange, had 90% tires and I had a Rotary Mower, Sicle Mower and plow. The sicle Mower was a great tool for mowing fence rows.
When I moved to town I gave it to my dad, who sold it for $25.
Now that I'm back on an acreage, I wish I had it again.

#11 dmahurin OFFLINE  

dmahurin
  • Member No: 79501
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 11:47 AM

My son-in-law gave me a wards 2-wheel tractor last christmas..belonged to his grandfather..wisconsin ab motor, 4.2hp at 3000 rpm, which would make it 1952 by wards farm catalogs.  model WS6 on transmission.  looks like pictures of Waterbury tractor found with google images.  pull up Waterbury Time Machine II, west side and you will find connection between waterbury tool and simplicity engine repair tools of 1930s

#12 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 01:25 AM

You ever figure anything more out on that wards? Looking at the one pic its almost identical to a Bolens 12A with flat handle bars. The only difference I can see between the two is that the drive pulley is on the opposite side. If you want I can post a pic.

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:29 AM

You ever figure anything more out on that wards?

Yes, No, and sure we'll let you post a pic!   :D

This thread got dragged up out of the past. Hard to believe it was 2011 when I posted it. I think I've forgotten all I found since then. There was one turned up restored as a Bolens and owned by an Ohio collector that was real knowledgeable about Bolens. I can't remember if he had a Bolens ad showing the tractor but it seems he did. Not sure if gunstuff ended up with that one or not. The tractor shares a lot of parts with the model A power-ho I'm thinking it was a 6 or 10?? I think it used the model A Briggs later on. It's also the only variation of the Hummer engine with a gravity feed carb. All the others have suction feed. The carb is odd too. I still haven't found the connection with Fort Worth TX. Did Bolens ever make tractors there? It seems like I heard the Hummer engine was built by some iron works in TX but I can't find anything on it. Everything I find is IL. I can see if someone in TX was buying the tractors and putting the Hummer eng on it for Wards, then it would be shipped out of TX. If Bolens was buying the engines and building the tractors for Wards then they would have went out of WI. Still a lot of questions on this one!!

#14 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 02:23 PM

The first one is one I don't have home yet. If you zoom in you can see the similarities. This one is a 1945. The other one is a 1942, the first year of the 12A and looks the closest to the wards. I'm missing a few parts but between the two a guy can figure it out. To get close to the timeframe of the wards he next closest model would be the 11A. I don't have any pics of one though. Gunstuff might I can't remember. If he finds this thread I wonder if he could post a pic of the 6B (I think) he's got. I think the drive is on the right side like the wards.

IMG_1342.jpg IMG951344.jpg IMG951343.jpg IMG_20160130_125312_739.jpg IMG_20160130_125340_168.jpg IMG_20160130_125402_182.jpg
  • DougT, Gtractor and rustyknutt have said thanks

#15 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Here's a 9B.
IMG_20160130_140429_101.jpg