Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Cattle,

We kept our in stanchions in the barn.

Your probably wondering why we kept our in for the night.

Bulls outside in the pen.

Regulate the grain and hay intake per each freezer beef cow along with domestication, i could walk up to any of the tame ones with no fear, make for easy loading and handling and to the market or killing pen,  domestication with the birthing mothers is importaint when complications occur and meeting/greeting the calf, keeps them from freezing to death in the winter and coyotes and wolves.

Now I understand. Ours right now are fed some feed in the morning, then they have straw in several round bale feeders to munch on the rest of the day. We have a "hoop" type building that they can get in out of the weather and for protection from predators. We don't let them go on the pasture in the winter, as they will "poach" the ground with there hooves.

• trowel said thank you

#32 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Trowel, do you see much Massey Ferguson in your area?

• trowel said thank you

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:31 PM

Trowel, do you see much Massey Ferguson in your area?

Not so much, mostlt New Holland, Ford, Kubota, and John Deere, the east coast seems to be Mixed with strong pockets of John Deere or Maasy Fergs or sometimes Fords/New Holland.

Now I understand. Ours right now are fed some feed in the morning, then they have straw in several round bale feeders to munch on the rest of the day. We have a "hoop" type building that they can get in out of the weather and for protection from predators. We don't let them go on the pasture in the winter, as they will "poach" the ground with there hooves.

They sure do, i though about converting the old hay shed into a out building for the horses but have not done it yet.

How many heads do you currently have and how many heifers do you have.

What kind of stock and what other stock's mixed in.

• Gabriel said thank you

#34 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not so much, mostlt New Holland, Ford, Kubota, and John Deere, the east coast seems to be Mixed with strong pockets of John Deere or Maasy Fergs or sometimes Fords/New Holland.

They sure do, i though about converting the old hay shed into a out building for the horses but have not done it yet.
How many heads do you currently have and how many heifers do you have.
What kind of stock and what other stock's mixed in.

We have 4 bred heifers, 14 cows, 14 calves, 4 fat cattle and a purebred Angus bull. As for other stock, we have a neighbor keeping a few of his show pigs at our farm and here at the home place, we have a almost 14 year old Dorset sheep and 12 chickens. Do you have any stock?
  • trowel said thank you

#35 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:37 PM

2 mixed breed poinies and a old papered quarter horse with 1/8 appie.

We no longer raise stock for market here.

• Gabriel said thank you