trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Yes, we are trying.

We no longer pull revenue from the land, there is a good reason Mass is called taxachusetts, the land, a lot of farmers around here has gone under and sold off the land, this year alone Ashfield has seen another triple jump, last year was a single jump, 3 years ago was a triple jump, once every two months almost every year for the past 10 years or so and always in the winters.

Conway jumped several times, Williamsburg jumped several times. 75 % of the revenue the farmers around here makes goes to taxes now.

I closed the door to the Nicholls Farm in 2001 and let the last two birthing mothers Patty Rose and April live out.

April broke her ankle 6 years ago shortly after Patty Rose passed and was put down, hamburger only.

I have though about starting up new stock seeing as the market is coming back in with a lot of the new upstart farms popping up like mushrooms on a pop pile around here but it would mean inviting the FDA onto the property and opening a can or rotten worms.

The town of Ashfield and Conway is trying to pass a new law, regulatory type were they can tax each persons/room in the house. So far it has been beat down for now,...There are fights more importaint then the lands, we are out and help the remaining old schools with the struggle, the upstart yuppie organiclly grown hobby farms are really upsetting ways of life around here right now.

Before you mention it, we are in a valley between two mountains up in the mountains (hilltowns), not much can be done by way of growing crops, only down in the CT River Valley.

#17 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:44 AM

We are still mostly immune to the { hobby farmer acreage owners }. Over the last 15 years there has been a huge push for town people to build communities in the country, as they love to be in the country . they buy 15-20 acres and 10 families will build next to each other in a small community shared well and driveways. The funny part of the hole thing is then they complain because the farmers create dust in the spring and fall, and have other complaints , odors, noise as we farmers plant till and harvest our crops. they want all the benefits of town life but want to live in the country,
  • trowel and jpackard56 have said thanks

#18 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Here's how we do most of our straw.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_7765.JPG
  • 100_7825.JPG
  • 100_7812.JPG
  • 100_7815.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Round bale, Allan does round bales, all tractor work with lots of seat time but when the baler messes up, oh boy !

Bale spear is removed when driving down State routs, on side roads you are to be followed by somebody.

#20 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Gabriel

nice pics of straw moving. I do not see any mesh netwrap ? Do you guys store inside ? do you guys make corn stalk bales too?
  • Gabriel said thank you

#21 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Gabriel

nice pics of straw moving. I do not see any mesh netwrap ? Do you guys store inside ? do you guys make corn stalk bales too?

Thanks! We store our straw and grass hay outside. The alfalfa hay gets stored inside. The straw bales seem to hold up well. We have made corn stalk bales before. We try to avoid it because there is lots of waste. The one nice thing about making corn stalk bales, is that if your on an open tractor moving bales, its much cooler in the Fall than in the Summer.

• trowel said thank you

#22 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Man does that bring back memories. Back in the late 70s and early 80s I would work for 3 area Dairy farmers all summer stacking small squares of hay in the mow. Think I made $2.25 an hour my 3rd year and my last year after graduation from high school during the summer I made 2.75 I thought I was rich. Nice pics of doing things the old fashioned way.

Is there any better smell in the world then the aroma of freshly cut hay!!!

I always loved the smell of freshly turned sod ground when plowing.  That was just heavenly to me.  Haylage and warm soybeans in the grain dryer aren't bad smells either.

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Nothing like gardening too, smell of the crops blooming too, all covered in little flowers.

Rich earth composting smell, life happening.

Edited by trowel, February 27, 2014 - 09:15 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#24 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:27 PM

I agree living in the country has it little benefits. 

Gabriel

The reason I ask about the corn stalk bales is there are literally thousand of them made over here.  It is the bedding of choice by far.  Most of the oats are cut when they are green then rolled in round bales or chopped for silage, because of the giant ragweed issues.  So most farmers with feedlot or dairy farmers choose stalk bales as bedding.  

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Allan was talking about using ''green'' bedding, i thought about it for the horses but got no real had facts on anyone trying it around here, not very popluar here.

Sawdust is drying up here, most everything left over is ground for different color mulches and chipped for landscaping.

Straw was plentifull with all the hay, fork it off the floor into stalls loose and use throught the winter.

Last cuttings from edges of fields made good bedding.

Edited by trowel, February 27, 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#26 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:00 PM

I agree living in the country has it little benefits. 

Gabriel

The reason I ask about the corn stalk bales is there are literally thousand of them made over here.  It is the bedding of choice by far.  Most of the oats are cut when they are green then rolled in round bales or chopped for silage, because of the giant ragweed issues.  So most farmers with feedlot or dairy farmers choose stalk bales as bedding.  

It does make wonderful bedding! When we made corn stalk bales, we used them for both bedding and feed. The cows get fed some feed as well. During the warm months they're on pasture.

Edited by Gabriel, February 27, 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Ah, i had a though, in stanchions the cows can't fodder on them, horses in stalls would, might not be a good idea.

#28 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Our cattle aren't in stalls. Are you thinking of dairy cattle?

#29 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Cattle,

We kept our in stanchions in the barn.

• Gabriel said thank you

#30 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Your probably wondering why we kept our in for the night.

Bulls outside in the pen.

Regulate the grain and hay intake per each freezer beef cow along with domestication, i could walk up to any of the tame ones with no fear, make for easy loading and handling and to the market or killing pen,  domestication with the birthing mothers is importaint when complications occur and meeting/greeting the calf, keeps them from freezing to death in the winter and coyotes and wolves.

• Gabriel said thank you