Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 448 hydraulic line going to lift cylinder.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Well I think I found the reason the new to me Case 448 was so cruddy with oil and dirt. The hydro line going to the lift cylinder must have been hit and bent at one time and it rubbed against the frame and caused a hole to be rubbed through the line. Instead of either bending it back to where it was supposed to be they brazed the hole shut and left it be.

I need to find out if I have the right part number for the line. It is the short line according to the parts manual from the 220 - 444 series tractors. I don't have the parts manual for the 448. The part number they are showing in the manual is C 17224. I am guessing this line is still available?

After tinkering with the tractor some more I believe the fella I got it from had it torn down a lot further then what he had said and must have just threw stuff on just to get it back together enough to sell it. I will start another thread then for the rebuild to get it back together with pictures of my progress. I gotta get this line though and get that out of the way.

Here are two pics of the line. One is of the spot where they repaired it and the other is a shot of the overall line.
DSC_0165.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0166.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I found the parts manual on Eastman's site. Looks like it is the correct part number. I guess I am going to be ordering a new one. Will call around on Monday.

I am also going to order the gaskets for the Onan. I want to pull the heads off, clean out the carbon and check the valves and I also want to rebuild the carb.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 11:34 AM

You'll have her up and running in no time.

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 11:49 AM

A little oil leak sure can make a big mess over time.I'll be watching for more updates & you know the required pic's.:bigrofl::bigrofl:You keep digging into it and it'll be running soon.Larry

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 12:01 PM

That's not dirt & crud, that's preservative/rustproofing.

Hope you find it quick & cheap.

Edited by MH81, January 09, 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 01:24 PM

That braze will hold forever if it was done right. On large tractors running 2500psi, I've repaired steel lines in a pinch with solder when we didn't own a torch. I'd strip automotive electric wire, wrap many turns around the bad area of the line, then flux & solder it. never had one to ever leak like that, and braze is tougher. But I'd bet the line is still a part you can get new.

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 01:35 PM

When I worked at the IH farm tractor dealership I brazed a lot of hydraulic lines that had rusted pin holes in them. Some of the tractors had lines that ran in the bottom of the seat support and would have a stretch of several inches of badly pitted line. I brazed over all the pits and never had one of the lines give out, so if the repair was done well I wouldn't worry about it not holding the pressure.The lines I brazed held a 2500 psi working pressure. Good luck with your project George!

#8 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 02:04 PM

I found the parts manual on Eastman's site. Looks like it is the correct part number. I guess I am going to be ordering a new one. Will call around on Monday.

I am also going to order the gaskets for the Onan. I want to pull the heads off, clean out the carbon and check the valves and I also want to rebuild the carb.

George - If you'd like you could contact Brian Hildreth. He's the President of Salem Power Equipment, LLC in Plymouth, MI which is a Ingersoll dealer. Phone number: 734.649.1781

Brian's very knowledgeable regarding Ingersoll and Case LGTs and more than welling to answer any question you may have as well. He always finds the time to answer even the smallest questions I've put to him without any hesitation. He can sure get the parts you're looking for pretty much for any project you're working on concerning Ingersoll or Case LGTs. Hope this helps!

Kenneth

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:31 PM

I figured the brazing was probably strong enough on the line that it did seal. I was just stating that is probably how the thing got so much oil and crud all over the place when it leaked the oil before they fixed it. I managed to reuse that line. I bent it back in shape. We got the lift assembly put back on and both the lines going to the lift cylinder are back on. I gotta figure out how the two large hard lines go and then mount the 3 pt back on and figure out those lines. I am going to order a carb kit for the Onan. The fuel pump nipple is broken off and you can see it is packed with crud.

I am going to call my on friend who has a heated pressure washer and see about taking the tractor and the motor over and steam cleaning it. Just want to get all of the lines on that I can to keep from getting water where it isn't supposed to be.

#10 bhildret OFFLINE  

bhildret

• Member No: 1803
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:53 PM

The C17224 tube is replaced by the C47509 kit, which updates to a newer tube design detail. Please feel free to drop me an eMail at SalemPwr@aol.com if you would care to pursue this.

Brian

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 07:02 PM

The C17224 tube is replaced by the C47509 kit, which updates to a newer tube design detail. Please feel free to drop me an eMail at SalemPwr@aol.com if you would care to pursue this.

Brian

Thanks for the response Brian. I will definitely get in touch with you. There are a couple of other items I would like to replace / get also.

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:52 AM

George,
If you send me a PM, I can give you the URL for a site that specializes in those funny tractors.:smilewink::smilewink::smilewink::smilewink::smilewink::smilewink:

#13 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:30 PM

I think you can mention www.caseingersollcolt.com because its not in competition. Its a site for one brand. And we all know with the guys on that site there wont be anything more than Case on there LOL