#46 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Have eather of you guys thought about planting for the ethanol gas market ?

• Gabriel said thank you

#47 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Farmers here have been doing that for many years over here.  In fact the Coop  that I work for .  We sell a lot of grain to many ethanol plants then buy back the Ddgs "left over grain  then mix that with whole corn,  it's run thru a massive  roller mill and comes out as hog feed.    It really helps both markets.  

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#48 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:41 PM

I was about to ask if you did feed corn and grain but you answered that.

I take the left over grains are rejects ?

Gabriel, do you and your operation have affiliations with the ethanol market out there ?

• Gabriel said thank you

#49 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:41 PM

You got a good eye.  That's our old 6600 with a 6 row head you have to go slow cause the machine is at peak capacity.  Our newer 7720 is twice the machine.  

Even the dairy farmers here plant 110-114 day corn, but that is planted late April for corn silage, the only reason they plant the later hybrids is t hat they are taller varieties.  

Much Anhydrous AMonia put on over there?

Yes. Most farmers here put there's on before planting. We side dress ours. I bet a 6 row corn head would be quite a bit for that combine. How long have you had your 7720? Any pics?

#50 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:47 PM

I was about to ask if you did feed corn and grain but you answered that.

I take the left over grains are rejects ?

Gabriel, do you and your operation have affiliations with the ethanol market out there ?

We never have taken any of our corn to an ethanol plant directly. Our elevator sells (there in joint ventures with ethanol companies) most or all of our corn for ethanol. 

• trowel said thank you

#51 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:56 PM

The left over grain from ethanol is very valuable.  60-90 $ a ton.    It's a dry ground corn type material.  All the ethanol plant uses is the sugar from the corn seed.  The rest they consider a by product which is  great feed for pigs,dairy and beef feed lots.  The media has blown this way out of proportion.  Calling it fuel or food issues.  Just wish they would ask a corn farmer.  Farmers can easily grow enough corn for both if we are wise.  My concern with ethanol is the large amount of water it takes to produce a gallon of ethenol. Something like 3.1 or so gallons to create 1 gallon of ethanol.  

We have had the 7720 for 3 seasons now. My dad really loves it.  I will get some pics as soon as I can and post.  

#52 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Ah, ok, yes, the mash, same with alcohol distillent, my uncle use to get mash from the local distillery for the pigs and goats, they loved it and fatten them up quick for the meat wagon, made sweet pork.

Mix it with sweet gain and let sit overnight, feed out to the cows had them running full tilt, loved it.

#53 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 28, 2014 - 07:50 AM

the only difference between what you call alcohol distillent and the ethanol by product DDGs . The DDGs are dry not a wet mash ours look like cracked corn that you would buy at TSC for the birds . But it is more or less the same thing.

Edited by rdehli, February 28, 2014 - 07:52 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#54 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 10:24 AM

got a 20 ft flex head for soybeans too. Dad also combines a few acres of oats for some neighbors.

when we actually get in the field this spring I will have a running post of pics of our operation.

Hello Rob,

Do you grow any wheat?

#55 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 06, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Very little wheat is grown within 100 miles of here.  Seems the land is to valuable for corn and beans .  Last fall we did seed 15 acres of winter wheat  with hopes to double crop by mid June with soybeans.  Can not wait to see how they took the winter.    How bout you guys plant much wheat 

#56 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Very little wheat is grown within 100 miles of here.  Seems the land is to valuable for corn and beans .  Last fall we did seed 15 acres of winter wheat  with hopes to double crop by mid June with soybeans.  Can not wait to see how they took the winter.    How bout you guys plant much wheat 

We plant about 30 acres. We too are wondering how it took the winter. Do you have much snow left up there?

Here are a few pictures of our one JD tractor. We've had it for 13 years this year. It's been a great little tractor and mower!

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0634.JPG
  • 101_0635.JPG
  • 101_0636.JPG
  • 101_0637.JPG
  • 101_0640.JPG

#57 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Gabriel

garden tractor looks nice , well kept.
As far as snow left, we have 18-24 inches in most spots and big drifts in the fence lines , terraces, etc. But our weather started to moderate yesterday we had 35 or so today looks like 40 and most of next week in the upper 30s to bout 40.......Hopefully I can start mapping fields and pulling soil samples by April 10th or so . You guys have much snow left?

#58 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:15 AM

We are starting to see the warm up too, hopefully for good,......hopefully,.....

Like you i hope to start April maintenance on everything and start planing for first cutting before all the rains come.

• Gabriel said thank you

#59 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Gabriel

garden tractor looks nice , well kept.
As far as snow left, we have 18-24 inches in most spots and big drifts in the fence lines , terraces, etc. But our weather started to moderate yesterday we had 35 or so today looks like 40 and most of next week in the upper 30s to bout 40.......Hopefully I can start mapping fields and pulling soil samples by April 10th or so . You guys have much snow left?

Wow, 18-24 inches! We don't have much snow left here. Most of what's left are the piles that were made from shoving the snow off the drives. Here, its suppose to get to 48 today. 

Edited by Gabriel, March 07, 2014 - 09:36 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#60 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2014 - 09:40 AM

we got 10" on Tuesday night ...    that was crazy.   can not wait to get things movin again .  Seems like I got things to do all over the place, once the weather moderates and the snow leaves.  Do you guys do much fall work ?  

• Gabriel said thank you