• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 02:52 AM

Hey guys I am going to paint the fan shroud on my Kohler K241 Im wanting to paint the shroud in chrome colored rustoleum and then lay the gloss to it so it somewhat looks like a chrome or polished finish. The only chrome paint that I know of is not an engine or high heat paint would it be ok to paint the fan shroud with this or do I need to use high heat as Im going to use on the engine block thanks in advance Josh

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Plasti-kote makes a "chrome like" paint ,I don't believe it's a high heat paint,but I'm not sure you would need one on the shroud.
Chrome paints don't look as much like chrome as you might like.But if you clear over it,it might not look too bad.

Edited by mjodrey, January 09, 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 07:24 AM

That chrome paint fades after a bit....I cleared over mine on my grill and it still faded....The grill bullets are real chrome

Posted Image

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 08:03 AM

I think your best "fake chrome" options would be to go with powder-coating. They have a pretty good one if you check it out at Auto Body Repair Tools Shop, Auto Body Supplies, Automotive & Classic Car Restoration - Eastwood

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 08:54 AM

You might read Dan's Article on electroplating. FOUND HERE

#6 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 10:56 AM

I read Dans post about the copy chrome sometime ago but I donot have a battery charger and stuff at this time not a drum and stuff. I have used the chrome paint before with decent results it doesnt really look like chrome it comes out morre like an aluminum finish. The gloss would give it more of a shine and I was going to lay it on in several coats to attempt to make it have a some what deep and maybe polished look. What sort of poweder coating stuff do they have at the parts house that one could use to achieve the chrome look? Even with out the chrome look a powder coating kit would be handy. Thanks for the input guys I will go forward with painting it and if it gets too hot I guess I will have learned the hard way Lol. Thanks Josh

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 11:42 AM

I know they make silver high temp. It's for gas grills. Would this be close enough after clear coat?
BTW, is the clear coat high temp? If not, the base temp rating may be a mute point.

Paint & Accessories | Aerosol Paint | Krylon High Heat Paint Aluminum | B37559 - GlobalIndustrial.com

#8 darmahsd OFFLINE  

darmahsd

• Member No: 1669
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 02:06 AM

Amazing process I just heard of: Spray-On Chrome - Restoration Blog - Jay Leno's Garage
I don't know about the durability issues of applying to an engine, but worth a look. Otherwise, the shroud is one of the parts that won't get hot enough to peel the paint. Probably gets more heat radiated back to it after the engine is shut down.
If you don't go the powder coat route or try this new magic chrome coating, I'd media blast it, catalyst primer, silver and then clear. I never liked using any silver paint without clear coating it. Gives it a deeper, more finished looking aluminum. The way they "fake chrome" with powder coating is to get the shroud down to bare metal and then highly polish it. Spray it with oil to prevent flash rusting and bring it down for powder coating with a clear powder coat. I've seen motorcycle fenders done this way.
  • mjodrey and Alc have said thanks

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 12:58 PM

The single stage chrome becomes dull because it contains aluminum. The aluminum oxidizes. Put a light polish on there (not turtle wax rocks in a bottle LOL) and put a good boat wax over that

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:31 PM

WOW,that "Spray-On Chrome" looks like quite a thing.

#11 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:35 PM

WOW,that "Spray-On Chrome" looks like quite a thing.

They thought that spray on hair was pretty slick too........lol

Will have to try some wax on my grill....may be too late.

#12 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 03:16 AM

. The way they "fake chrome" with powder coating is to get the shroud down to bare metal and then highly polish it. Spray it with oil to prevent flash rusting and bring it down for powder coating with a clear powder coat. I've seen motorcycle fenders done this way.

you would never see a part sprayed down with oil before powder coating it!EVER!

I am not sure where you get your info or from what you say you witnessed, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a very long time ,and anyone that has read this completely disreguard it !its complete horse dodo

and a clear coat actually dulls the finish by creating a layer between the shine and reflective light the clear helps with UV, mar and scuff protection that is the nature of the beast you cannot copy real chrome and get real chrome results ,they have a few processes that bring you close but its still not the same

single stage chromes dull because they have no scuff/mar protection and leave a dull gray after the scuff/bang whatever the issue was
they oxidize from the uv light breaking down the finish

I use chrome powder with clear coats all the time and get some amazing results but any closer than 5 ft and you know its not True chrome

but what do I know