Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Water Quality Stuff-House Softener Related.

water softener

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:47 AM

CIty water about 1500 feet around the corner, not enough houses on mom's road for them to "justify" bringing it around the corner.

Might be worth seeing what it would cost to run it yourself.  The upfront and long term costs of water treatment might make it a viable option.

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Might be worth seeing what it would cost to run it yourself.  The upfront and long term costs of water treatment might make it a viable option.

I know my church had to pay to run 8" sewer pipe about 1000 ft from main road up the church road and into church. IIRC, it was up towards $120,000  just for that, but we do own the sewer, anyone hooking into it has to pay us some royalties from the hookup.

I also know it's a minimum of $5000 just to be able to get a meter and tap into the city line. I would bet, even if they would let us do it, we would be looking at $30-40K just for a line to be run.

#18 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Ouch!

• TAHOE said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:14 AM

http://www.rainsoft....ter-systems.cfm

I'm pretty sure this is the system that my grandparents ran.

• TAHOE said thank you

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Ouch!

Yea, It would not just be running a 1 1/2" plastic line to the house, they would make us put in a standard water main pipes next to road with hydrants so any other residents would have option to hook up.

When they ran water lines through my neighborhood in  2001, they gave us a "deal" on hookup, the " low, low price of $4200" just to hook up to main and get a meter. Then I had to pay plumber to run limne into house and hook to house, including disconnecting my current well. Told them I will keep my well and htey could keep their city water, it only cost electric to run pump and about 3-40# bags of salt every 2 months in the softener.

http://www.rainsoft....ter-systems.cfm

I'm pretty sure this is the system that my grandparents ran.

Thanks. That system would probably be too small and the softener will actually be a very small part of my issue. I have to address the iron and the high content of total dissolved solids ( TDS) being sodium. Even if I go with iron filter, then softener, I will have to get a whole house Reverse osmosis system to remove the sodium and TDS levels to still be able to use the water.