#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hello all, over the summer I picked up a case 155 garden tractor at an auction.  At the time I new nothing about the tractor other than I thought it was a good price $125, and I wanted a tractor to put together for my daughter and neffew for using at the tractor pulls and figured the hydro might be best.

I am going to modify it so there is a hand brake and the foreward and reverse are easier to use for the kids.  I have already changed the rears from the stock 12" rims to much larger 15" rims and tires. 

I am looking for tips and tricks for these, I don't know much about them.  Are they good pullers?  will the hydro transaxle hold up?  what can I do to help the performance.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:35 PM

The transaxle is mighty tough and will likely hold up.  The problem is that design of transaxle will rob horsepower so that tractor will always have the deck stacked against it. I don't see how it can be competitive.   Also,  I don't know of any pulling organizations that will allow 15 inch tires.  In your area they might but around here its a big no-no.  GOOD LUCK!!!

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:40 PM

They do not have a hydrostatic transmission, they have a hydraulic-driven rear end. The rear end on the 100 series Case garden tractors are not built to pull with, you will break something. Not if, but when.

• superaben and petrj6 have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Cat is correct they are true hydraulic drive. I do believe that like the hydrostatic drive tractors that they also have a "pop off valve" or by pass for when the pressure gets to high. Unlike a gear drive that will put all the power sent to it to the rear wheels.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 25, 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:17 PM

The pulling club around here is just for fun, not competitive at all.  as for being competitive in any specific class, I am building it for an 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy. Don't think  they will get to pulling anything extreme.  it may even be for the better if there is a "pop off valve " that way the kids cannot get into to much trouble with it.

cat385b Do you think it will break if they are only pulling small weights?  I don't want to wreck a perfectly good tractor by being an idiot.  what if I went back to the 12" tires, would that be better? or should I just look for a different machine.

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:33 PM

If you're only doing lite pulls that don't stop the tractor, it should be fine. But the rears are weak, especially coupled with the fact the weight sled will be hooked directly to that weak rear end.

The 155 was only made in '67 and '68, you can tell them apart by the rear brake. The '68 had disc brakes. If it's in decent shape, you could try to trade it for a nf cub with a gear tranny.

• petrj6 said thank you

#7 anixon92 OFFLINE  

anixon92

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:54 PM

if you plan on selling case 155 I would be interested.

#8 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:02 PM

It says 155 rite on the hood, and has dual rear disk brakes. 

#9 anixon92 OFFLINE  

anixon92

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:07 PM

the rears in the 155 and 195 are weak. last year a fellow at our local pull setup a 155 to pull for his daughter and the rear did not make it. crack rear.

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 12:12 AM

Even with having a hydro rear it wont hold just as everybody previously posted about it. Would hate to see a good tractor break before a pull. I would look for either a sears, cub, or wheel horse. The sears and wheel horse have high and low rears so you have a few gears but ultimately when it comes down to it you really only have 2-3 true gears you can use. The cubs only have 1 true gear depending on how many teeth 3rd gear has. Ive mostly heard they have a 26 tooth which is what the pro vtwins have and what not. You can easily get away with using second gear on a cub. However, do not use ta rear with the creeper gear added. Youll blow it apart faster than a straw built house in the middle of a windstorm. Theres a lot of aftermarket parts available for the cub cadet line up. But if your only pulling for fun with the kids, id find something reliable to play with.  

• petrj6 said thank you

#11 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 12:55 AM

If you're only doing lite pulls that don't stop the tractor, it should be fine. But the rears are weak, especially coupled with the fact the weight sled will be hooked directly to that weak rear end.

Cat how much weight / how high of a class is a hydro good for ? Shoot I might put one together for a lower class just for fun.

#12 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 05:40 AM

After the advise given here I think I will just keep the tractor around for the kids to ride around the yard and look for something else, I have a line on a wheel horse raider 12.   maybe that will pan out.

Thank's a bunch guys, the advice is much appreciated.  I don't want to wreck a good tractor for no reason.

Peter S

• Cat385B and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#13 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 09:48 PM

That's what were here for. Everyone has had their trial and errors and were glad to try and help others. Good luck with the wheel horse :thumbs:

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:00 AM

A hydro will pull just fine !! As long as its a good one!! A Massey or Ford / Jacobsen from the early to mid 70's will work AWSOME for the kids!!!!!!! The Peerless 2500 axles and Eaton hydro's are bullet proof. And the rear diff have huge axles and limited slip. They just gas's it and floor the pedal in low range!! And they are very well balanced too. We did very well with one last year . and pulling a stone boat in the dirt is what they do very very well ;-)