9 replies to this topic

#1 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 02:50 PM

Recently I picked up a Case 224. The steering wheel was cracked and no good. The nut is rusted on the steering shaft to the point where I think I should pull it to  have a better chance of freeing it up.

I've tried heat, PB blaster, etc with no luck.

To pull the shaft out, I know there's a gear attached to the shaft on the bottom, would I just remove that and it will pull out or is there more to it than that?

Then where would I be able to find a steering wheel for a replacement?

Thank you

• dropped82 and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hard to do. Most just break or cut off the old wheels, carefully.  Couple diff styles on Case. Some are pinned, some have splines and others just taper with key. You CAN remove the steering shaft  at bottom, BUT, requires to grind off the weld on gear and shaft end to drive it out. I have had same results at that end trying to get that gear off and damaged it to non-usable. SO, all depends on how hard it comes off. Then you will need to reweld or tack-weld the shaft back in. Another way is to find parts tractor, remove it's wheel by cutting off or whatever, and unbolting the whole shaft and it's support in the body down low and change all of it as assembly. This is what I ended up doing on mine. Keeps all the parts of one system together. There are flex and spacer washers near bottom gear too, don't lose any of those. The gear adjustment is made with the big arc gear and spacers once installed. That big gear comes off it's pivot shaft pretty easy. Just have to check with Case guys on the wheels. Some have been taken off and saved, just has to be right one.  Check ebay!  Good Luck! P.S.  There are diff lengths of shafts and diameters depending on years, so make sure you have right ones there when shopping also.

• IamSherwood and dropped82 have said thanks

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Titus, I'm having the same problem. I have a Case parts tractor that I have been trying for months to remove the wheel. Its an '81 446 that sat outside for 13 years. The wheel is in great shape and I want to use it for another 446 with a non stock wheel. Mine had a nut which came off but the wheel will not move. I've soaked it, heated it (without melting), smacked it, and pulled it. Still nothing. If anyone has a secret spell to cast, please let me know.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, February 25, 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#4 anixon92 OFFLINE  

anixon92

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:04 PM

try this site.. I know they are a bear to get off.
http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=148653

#5 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Titus, I had a similar problem on the 444 that I'm currently working on. For your steering wheel to have a nut on top means its the older keyed type wheel, rather than the role pin. Somewhere in its past, I guess they couldn't get the wheel of mine, but they did get the nut off. Anyway, they just broke the plastic part of the wheel off, leaving just the metal hub. Then, they just installed a universal automotive replacement, as can be seen in the pics. 

I was going to by a correct steering wheel for it, until I saw the lower steering gear on the shaft. It was really wore out. You can't buy the keyed shaft for these any longer, but you can buy the role pin style. It is a direct replacement, when used with role pin steering wheel. So, I just cut my old shaft off, and replaced it. You can buy the role pin style shaft here for $60.  http://www.casegarde...stshrpinmo.html

I can't believe how much play this took out of the steering on this 444. 

They also sell both the keyed, and role pin style wheels new, but their almost $100, so I bought a used one off ebay for $60.  I'll take a couple more pics today of the new steering shaft installed, and post pics this evening.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P2090026 (800x600).jpg

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Here are a couple more pics of my old rod, and the new one installed. My steering wheel hasn't arrived yet, so I have a pair of vise grips gently holding it in place. 

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P2260008 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260009 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260010 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260016 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260017 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260018 (800x600).jpg

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 09:41 PM

This is what I'm dealing with

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 10:46 PM

This is what I'm dealing with

Titus, is that a nut, or a bolt on top of that shaft? If all else fails, you could always cut the head of the bolt, or nut off with a hack saw, the drill, and tap the shaft for about a 3/8 bolt with a washer on it, to hold the new steering wheel on. If getting it good and hot doesn't work, I don't know what will. At least if all else fails, and the shaft is ruined, replacements are still available new. 

Matt

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 12:05 PM

That's a nut on the shaft. It's so cold in the garage I just can't work out there. It was 20 in there this morning. I have the torch and going to try that again, and really heat the bugger up! 

#10 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Titus I can assure you the nut is the easy part the wheel insert is the biggest problem. If you have a candle heat the nut let the wax melt in. Take pipe wrench on insert and let your impact do the work hold the wrench tight so there is no give  the nut will come off. With the wrench your steering sector and gear don't take a beating. As for the insert after the nut is out of the way take a sawzall  If you can find metal cutting  blade they call the torch really good blade. Take your time and cut right down the key way and it won't mess up th shaft.