#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hey, wanted to ask you guys for some advice/opitions regarding tires on my Squire 9.

Tires are 23 x 8.50 12 inch rims, what good brand Ag tires for a good price do you think works good for plowing snow and garden plowing ?

23 degree lugs or 45 degrees lugs, super lugs or low pro ?

Thinking of studding the lugs for use on ice.

Would like to load with fluid, what is best without it rotting out the rim/tire,..washer fluid ?

Was wondering, is there a good quality brand that sells 21 x 8.50-12 ag tires for a good price ?

If not too expensive, thinking of the smaller tires would ''gear'' down the speed a little for snow throwing heavy thick snow.

Gear ratios are 156 in first, 66 in second and 40 in third.

I know, would looks a little odd with smaller rear tires

#2 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 12:50 PM

washer fluid is good but not as heavy as antifrezze

• trowel said thank you

#3 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Shipping is a 'killer' on cost, must be considered when buying.
First thing is to check with your local (car) tire seller, like Discount Tires type stores:
ASK to see this, all tires sellers have a "Tire Wholesale" catalog where they buy their tires, there are no prices in this catalog, just pictures of all their tires, it usually has 5-6 pages of just Lawn & Garden tires and sizes, with about 200+ tires that the local tire store can order in. Get them on the regular weekly delivery so there are no delivery charges to you (a special order can cost you $20/tire extra).
Locally, the price is very good, the lowest I can find and a huge selection, and if I pre-pay the
full amount, my local store gives me a 10% discount. They will also mount them for a small fee,
plus their 16 & 23" tubes are quality thick USA made and less $ than TSC's thinner China tubes.

My favorite Lug tire is the Firestone 23º Ag tires, (and then fill with RimGuard): Then you have the extra 60-70# of weight in them, IMO, then you would not need the studs. There are often those tire sizes listed on eBay, but then the shipping costs. MillerTire is a very trustworthly place, and free delivery to certain shows in the Summer. Stay with the factory recommend 23" size, best all around (ground clearance loss with 21").

DSCN0082-2-1.jpg
This is my Wheel Horse 312 with Firestone 23º Ags, filled with RimGuard and with Inside weights, for a total of 120# extra weight per rear tire, and at 20PSI. Also have a heavy-duty 2" tow receiver on (made/sold by another member here), tractor can easily tow a 2.5 ton trailer on the drive, or for using with my carts, I get an extra 12" length for turning, but had to add a marker pole to keep from tripping on it.

Edited by MH81, February 25, 2014 - 09:23 PM.

• trowel, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:53 PM

I like the 23 degree Ags also. But I don't know that they are any better, I just like the looks of them mounted. :D

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Supposedly by all the Firestone big farm tractor ads they get better traction in loose conditions.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
  • trowel said thank you

#6 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 03:55 PM

I have carlisle super lugs 23/10.50x12 on my jd and have had no problems, but they are a little more expensive than some, as are the firestones. I also have a pair of deestones that are the same size according to the writing on the tire, but they are actually a little smaller in width and height compared to the carlisle tires and were cheaper in price. Wally-world actually used to be able to get ag tries for gt's also, but I have no idea how their prices are. There's about 5-6 different tire manufacturers that I can think of to check out. Firestone, carlisle, deestone, nanco, bkt, hi-run, titan, and maybe more. Some of the tread patterns may be look the same, but some are not. Look at them and see if you find what you like
  • trowel said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Many thanks guys,

Thanks Glen, that is great advice,

Looking at deerstones or charlisle, TSC sells hi-runs, never seen those before, how is the quality ?

Worth the money ?

Even on ice the ag tires spin out, chains or studs on the lugs would be needed, all hills here.

Have a brochure for RimGuard, forgot about that, sold down here at local tractor shop.

#8 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:41 PM

I  put the tires from tractor supply, there are nice. hi run, there just remolded from Carlisle's same pattern I

125_zps92ae1de1.jpg

Edited by Chris11, February 25, 2014 - 08:43 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I've had good luck with the deestone. They work well, but are a little undersized on width.

I don't think weight alone will do it. I think you will end up putting studs or chains on them.

As for Miller Tire, they were given a chance to be a supporter here and declined. I switched to these guys,
http://www.greatercl...vlet/StoreFront
good price and fast shipping.

Hre are their prices for the lug style tires
http://www.greatercl.../s/1/Categories
  • IamSherwood and trowel have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 10:09 PM

I've had good luck with the deestone. They work well, but are a little undersized on width.

I don't think weight alone will do it. I think you will end up putting studs or chains on them.

As for Miller Tire, they were given a chance to be a supporter here and declined. I switched to these guys,
http://www.greatercl...vlet/StoreFront
good price and fast shipping.

Hre are their prices for the lug style tires
http://www.greatercl.../s/1/Categories

Hah, i was just looking at the same page an hour ago, little too far for me.

Have been thinking studs on the lugs but not sure yet, if not then chains, studded types if i can find some for that size tire.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Call Bob and get a shipping quote. He surprised me, it was reasonable.
  • trowel said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 10:18 PM

I'll give him a ring tommorow, thanks.

#13 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 11:00 PM

If you are going to use chains with Ag tires, don't bother with the 'standard' chains.  You will need ones like these:

http://www.tirechain...Tire-Chains.htm

They will not drop down between the lugs and become useless.

According to their 'search' those are available in 23x8.50-12 tires.  I just wish they had them for 26x12-12, but alas, they don't see to have them for that size :(

Also, for filling your tires, Rim Guard is far and away the best. NOTHING beats it for filling tires  It's roughly 3 lbs/gal heavier than any water based solution.  Not to mention that it's non-corrosive, non-toxic, and biodegradable if it does happen to spill.

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:24 AM

I get tires from the place MH81 posted all the time! Very fast and great prices!! The Duro has the best traction out of all the tiresthey sell in my book.
  • MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I get tires from the place MH81 posted all the time! Very fast and great prices!! The Duro has the best traction out of all the tiresthey sell in my book.

You are in Mass, could you give me a rough idea as to shipping for a pair of the 23 x 8.50 ?

Great to hear of the quality and traction, i was wondering, thanks.