• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I appreciate it  trowel .....can use all the info I can get !!

JD we`ve had unusually long and rough with temps below 0 several times this year and I`ve seen  -23 degrees 2 or 3 times in my life here.  I guess I had forgot they make a radiator flush . I did all the work on my vehicles till I couldn`t find the plugs or plug wires on my 1999 f-150. Pretty well let Ford dealer  handle it since then :thumbs:

#32 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:25 AM

I run normal green antifreeze in my Kubota. I've never seen or heard of a need for special antifreeze for diesels.

• trowel and SNUFFY have said thanks

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:25 AM

The friggin' computer refuses to upload the 2 nd part of the manual no matter what i do so i spent 2 1/2 hours last night tracking down were i found it.

A link to the manuals :  http://www.google.co...lB2o8KMVakTOspQ

• olcowhand and SNUFFY have said thanks

#34 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:36 AM

I appreciate your effort and have downloaded the valuable tool.  I`m sure the screen will get dog-eared from use.

Did some digging yesterday on the tiller and looks like I can get some tines  and after looking at some new tillers the cost of the tines is minimal !!

By the way I hate my `puter too. If you haven`t got Windows 8 on your now......Don`t !!!!!! Run !!!! go anywhere else. Most hateful thing ever created. I`m probably going to pay to get back to Win 7

• trowel and twostep have said thanks

#35 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks,

Im still on 7, people warned me, seems it takes so much out of the computer.

#36 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 03:15 PM

windows 8 is the devil.

• trowel said thank you

#37 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 04:03 PM

I run normal green antifreeze in my Kubota. I've never seen or heard of a need for special antifreeze for diesels.

The new John deere tractors, new Kubotas to name a few.

• twostep said thank you

#38 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 04:59 PM

The new John deere tractors, new Kubotas to name a few.

lol... that word "new" is probably why I've never heard of it!

• trowel said thank you

#39 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 01:06 PM

yeah ....new is not in my vocabulary very often.

• trowel said thank you

#40 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I didn`t find any info on specific grade of oil and filter in the service manual....capacities yes but no particular grade of oil.

Anybody got any recommendations. It`s really black lookin` so I`m going to change it hopefully this weekend. I`m assuming the filter is a metric thread. The numbers are almost unreadable on the canister too.  The engine comes in between the 1100 and closer to the 1200. Plate says 14 hp but the CCs is 742 vs 704 (1100)vs 804 (1200).

Wonderful how they manage to make everything  different ain`t it !!

#41 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:49 PM

There own standard, im sure ours is confusing to them too.

Been using the Kubota 15-40 multi-grade with no problems.

I got lucky with the oil filter, bought one before Burts Tractors in Easthampton closed their door, now that you bring that up i should look around.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#42 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:42 PM

I use Rotella 15w-30 in my Kubota.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#43 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:44 PM

15-40 in all the diesels here.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#44 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Since I`ve posted this last post I`ve acquired two more small tractors and the Shi 14 has kind  gone on the back burner. I won an auction for Ford 1500 and a Farmall A. After a little work I got the Ford going pretty good and the A is gonna be project for a while. With the garden going and work taking up most of my free time the Shi tiller got low priority.

Now that the broccili ,cabbage and cauliflower is playing out I`m needing to plow the leftover stumps and leaves under for some good free fertilizer !

I was bragging on how good my 10-12 year old Ariens/ Tecumseh rear tine tiller was starting after sitting for 6-7 months. Worked it pretty good 2-3 weeks ago and it died while idling . Thought it shouldn`t be out of gas yet....yanked on the rope and had absolutely no compression...... Pulled the head and couldn`t see anything wrong. Got a new gasket( Can still get parts even though Tecumseh has gone out of business). It has gotten in line for my time soon, So I turned my attention to the Shi Tiller.

After scratching my head with what the previous owner had going on with the idler end bearing on the main tine shaft, I scrapped it and ordered a Cast Iron Bearing Carrier and after some mods got it mounted up .

I bought some regular tines ( it came with a few of the rice paddie tines ) for the tiller a few months ago. After trying to find pics or videos of the Shi tiller and not having found anything helpful I gambled on the direction of the tines should be mounted. Scratched my head for 2-3 hour trying figure out how to arrange the left and right tines ! I had a 50/50 chance of getting them right....depending on which way it rotated once hooked to the tractor......guess which way it went !!  Needless to say I`m not gonna be buying any Lotto tickets today.

Still not sure about proper arrangement but after turning them 180 degrees they proceeded to chop the stumps/leave into nice mulch and everything seemed to work as it should even in the wet conditions. Definitely need the giant depth gauge wheels in place to keep from getting too deep and stalling the tiller. But it works so I`m calling it a victory.

The Shi 14 Tractor/Rotovator seems to be a pretty good machine to be so small and has some advantages in it`s size( about 4 foot wide) when working small gardens. The high range seems mostly for traveling and low range is low and slow enough to really work the ground. If I could mount up a Front End Loader, I would probably keep it just for the garden work. Haven`t seen anyway to do that so It will be up for sale pretty soon !!

Now if I can get the A engine unstuck we`ll be moving forward with that project. Also watching an auction on a 1720 4wd Ford with a FEL from local city. This one is actually in running condition..... !!!

• trowel and Cvans have said thanks

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Wow, you on a roll with the Jap tractors, they are good machines, great to hear of the progresses,