• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 janetxlee OFFLINE  

janetxlee
  • Member No: 53961
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi. My father had a Cub Cadet 123 that he used to mow the lawn of our house  (1.25 acre lot size for 40 years). It was garage kept and the body is in near perfect condition. The seat is perfect with no cracks. I have the key and owners manual as well. Not sure if it is running since it hasn't been used since he got sick. It was running at that time. He was meticulous about maintaining it.

I'm wondering what the best way is to find a buyer and about how much it is worth. Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG

#2 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:19 PM

There are many ways to market the 123 if that is your desire. First look at its original condition looks, does it run, and how well etc. then look at this does it have any factory options like, headlights, rear lift etc to make the tractor more valuble. With that decided now , would you rather sell locally or potentially find a buyer/collector in your state or maybe even states away. as far as a price start looking online for your model....and comparable shape to see what they are listed for etc, then price accordingly any other questions feel free to contact me further send me a pm thanks and good luck

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi janetxlee

welcome to the forums

your Cub Cadet 123 looks to in good shape.  You should try starting it to see if it does start.

If it does start and run try driving it around - to make sure it works

if it does start and you can drive it around  - I think I would try to sell for around $500 as a stating point

it there are other attachments then the price does go up

somebody should be able to help you what is a fair price it your area

or you could use it to mow your yard and keep it in the family

#4 janetxlee ONLINE  

janetxlee
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hi rdehli.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check on the factory options! Someone asked me the size of the mower deck and i had a hard time measuring. I did see a number 48 on the mower deck followed by some letters. Do you think that means it's a 48" mower deck? I am still learning since it was my father's tractor so bear with me!!

janet

#5 janetxlee OFFLINE  

janetxlee
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hi Tractorholic,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't start but I'll give it a go. I had no idea how popular the cub cadet was! I'm learning a lot.

janet

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:24 AM

judging by what I can see its a 48" deck, cause a 42 is just a touch wider than the wheels, I have a 42" on my 123 it is definatly larger than that .

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:04 AM

Cubs are very popular.

I'm cheap, as most people are.  To keep my collection growing and not go broke I try to buy things as cheaply as possible.

If I walked up to your door step to see the tractor.  A) it doesn't run.  I have no idea whats wrong, may be simple, may be major.  B) Its dirty.  Awhile a lot of the original paint is intact there is rust and grease.

As it sits I'd offer between 300 and 400 for the tractor.  I am cheap, and remember everyone is going to low ball the heck out of you.

If I had that tractor and wanted to sell it.  First I'd buy cans of degreaser and power wash the heck out of that thing, clean every bit.  Dry it off. 

Then I'd get it running.

Now if I walked up on your doorstep and seen a used tractor with some rust, but otherwise clean.  I could start it up, verify everything was in working order, and I really wanted a 123 I would offer between 450 to 600 for it. 

I did a craigslist search and found 3 nice ones in 400 mile range of me for 300 to 500 bucks.  Running to non running,  All of them mostly original.

You don't have a gold mine sitting in your garage.  Awhile its a good solid tractor, and an excellent machine when running, the value for them isn't that high.  Even restored you'd be lucky to see a grand out of it to a collector.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 27, 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Great advice