• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Ok this is what I have. I had my cam ground for the 330 lift rule with added duration. Now when I set my valves I have like 3/16 of lash when I rotate it. Am I setting my lash in the wrong spot I'm setting it where the cam is when the marks on the crank and mark on the cam line up. If I set it where I have the most lash at then when it gets to that spot where the timming marks line up. The lash is two tight then and the valve is held open. When it is running the tappets are ticking like crazy I know that isn't right. I think I may be adjusting them wrong or something. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Rbrracing32, February 24, 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:07 AM

I don't know what kind of engine your working on--but this is how I do it.
First forget about the crank and cam timing marks,their for timing the cam to the crank and many times not much more.

to adjust intake valve turn crank in the direction the engine runs until exauste valve starts to open then adjust intake valve.
To adjust exauste valve turn crank in the direction the engine runs until intake valve is full open then turn it a bit more until intake valve is about 1/2 closed then adjust exauste valve.
Now turn crank a few times and recheck your work--If you did it right it should be dead nuts on--if not repeat above.
NOTE--when doing this if you turn crank to far DO NOT turn crank back because the back lash between crank and cam gears can throw you off,just turn crank in proper direction and try again.
I have been doing it this way for years on race engines and once you get the hang of it,it easy.
PS don't you engine with 3/16 lash you pound your valve train to death
I'am sure there and other ways of doing it but this is just how I do it.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Thks bill it's a k 241.

#4 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Did you have the head off? your valve maybe hitting the head. You Ajust lash on the low spot on the cam, could be you have valve spring bind to, Is the cam shaft gear bolt on?

Edited by Chris11, February 24, 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#5 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 12:41 PM

May have figured it out I had the cam ground witch when they change the love they take from the base circle. That's where the compresion release is so I'm thinking that maybe my compresion release is two high now and hanging tbe valve open and all the lash I have to give it is getting the lifter away from the release. Let you know tonight when I get home.

#6 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Ur cam grinder should give u a lash setting.. I think all my cams are around .010 or less for lash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Yeah you would have thought he would give me a cam card with something on it. I'll be calling him tommrow took it back apart figured out what was wrong. When he changed the base circle he cut bellow the fuel pump eccentric on the cam so my intake lifter when at base on compresion it's hitting the fuel pump eccentric and the same on tbe exhaust but the compresion release is hitting when it's down it's up higher than the lobe is by just a bit probly .030 or so. So that's my whole lash problem needless to say I will no longer get precision cams in Wilmington nc. To grind my cam again. I'll chuck it in the lathe at work tommrow and cut some reliefs for the lifter so it actually touches the base circle. And remove the compresion release. I hope it will start without the release. May just try and grind it down it don't need a lot. But I will take some pictures of tbe cam and send to the grinder and call him and see what he has to say. After all I gave him a 150 to do it. It should have been right.

Edited by Rbrracing32, February 24, 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#8 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Use Hackman in Seymour Indiana, he is I feel the best out their... Then Vogel or Lakota are very good too.. Hackman is 225 for a regrind on ur core... That is that's the last quote I got.. He will ask u about ur motor and grind for that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 11:54 AM

You can by a new cam for that steel. From Lakota and Vogel