• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:22 PM

It is good that you are saving a good tractor. You have come a ways with it. You'll get more done when spring set in for good. Keep up the good work and thanks for the update. Please , more pictures.

#32 Eulogy OFFLINE  

Eulogy
  • Member No: 59661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 10:33 PM

You have the new style 6 bolt spindle. They come apart the same as my spare set of three bolt spindles. Yours are very rusty so soak with Kroil or other good rust perpetrator oil. Everything comes apart towards the pulley except the blade adapter. Leave the blade on while removing the pulley bolt using an impact, jam the blade to the deck housing with a piece of 2 X 4 wood. The pulleys are easily damaged if using a puller. They are available to buy if you do some damage. Put the bolt back on and remove the blade then drive the spindle through part way with a lead hammer or some way not to damage the nut and threads. The bolts holding it to the deck may have to be snapped off or cut with a cutoff wheel.

The 2 bearings are just lightly pressed into the retainer housings.

The spindles are no longer available. (use care not to damage them)

The deck manual shows an exploded view.

The FYI file I keep has a list of part numbers for reference and some tips on taking the spindles apart.

VTXrider would you happen to have any info on the hydraulic valve for these?  I can tell is a Parker valve but they were tight lipped as it is an MTD product.  Mine will not build enough pressure to lift more that the deck.  I have disassembled and cleaned it.  Also have tried adjusting the pressure valve to no avail.  A rebuild kit would be nice even if it were for a different but similar valve.  I am having a hard time coughing up $400 for a new one.

#33 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Welcome to the forum Eulogy. As you get to know how the posting of messages works, it is better to post a new thread with a new question. It gets much exposure to forum members and more people can help.

I do not know of a replacement valve other than from MTD. Some thing to check before finding a valve, is to find out if the pump is producing enough pressure. My original 990 had a replacement many years ago. Same symptoms - would not lift much. The hydro still worked but was noisy under load.

I assumed my pump was bad before going to the pressure relief valve. I do not know of a sure way to check the pump pressure on these. The PRV would have to be taken out of the circuit and pressure allowed to build but this may not be a safe way to test it. Something could break under the higher pressure. A 2000 psi pressure gauge would be needed to read the pressure.

Maybe Tudor or someone with knowledge of testing if a pump is good, could help with this.

Edited by VTXrider, July 03, 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#34 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 10:23 PM

That looks. Lot like an 1855 Massey Ferguson/Snapper if you look at the side shape of the grill, tunnel, etc...

#35 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'm no hydraulics expert but you said you disassembled and cleaned the lift valve.  If you found nothing wrong with the valve is there a chance something is wrong inside the lift cylinder?  Small nick in an o-ring or something like that allowing fluid to bypass slightly.  Does the deck drift back down when raised?

#36 Eulogy OFFLINE  

Eulogy
  • Member No: 59661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Sorry for the long delay.  Trying to close on a new house.  Yes the deck will slowly drop.  It has just enough power to lift the deck but no more.  I have taken the valve apart and it does look rough inside.  That is why I was looking for a rebuild kit.

#37 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 12:01 AM

Sorry for the long delay.  Trying to close on a new house.  Yes the deck will slowly drop.  It has just enough power to lift the deck but no more.  I have taken the valve apart and it does look rough inside.  That is why I was looking for a rebuild kit.

Any updates on this rebuild?