#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:53 AM

they all come with 1" spindles, from the 990-998. just looked this up.

990s came with 3/4" spindles.  It was a weak spot for them.  The front end loader included a spindle upgrade.

from what i see the White GT-1855 was made in 1986, 87, 88, 92, 93, 94, & 95

so it could be a 992/995/996/998...............how confusing is that ? it all depends on the year it was produced.

From the available manuals on MTD's site: 

992 = 20hp

994 = 16hp

995 = 16hp the first year only then 18hp after that

996 = 16hp

998 = 18hp

999 = 22hp

Here's a little chart I made up when I was first researching these and yes I had too much time on my hands then. :thumbs:

Attached File  MTD tractors.pdf   44.11KB   86 downloads

• cityboy2977 said thank you

#17 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:06 AM

MTD had built tractors for White Motor from 74' until their demise in bankruptcy . The ag division was sold to a holding company and operated under the WFE  name until it was sold to AGCO, at this time is when MTD took over the White name in the outdoor line. Any thing that has the mustang horse on it was built after the MTD acquisition . These later tractors are some of the same models as when they were building for White.In my collection I cut off at the red stripes, when they were still owned by the large ag division.   

Mtd has always built tractors for some one before they bought them out ; Bolens/ Troybuilt, cub cadet, White , Columbia.

MTD 's numbering system can get confusing, when you look at prefixes , Whites prefix has always been 990 , but what MTD used after they bought the name ? I can't answer, I've only bought them for parts donator and never took notice to the model number prefix

The older Whites are collectable because at one time ,White owned Oliver from 57' or 58', Cockshutt from 62', Minneapolis moline from 64'. So the people that fond of these tractors are looking for the little guys.

#18 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 09:09 AM

The first year for the  GT1855 was 1979.

• cityboy2977 said thank you

#19 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 10:08 AM

werent the 3/4 spindles installed in the older 3 lug hubs ? i cant get to the 960....its buried in 3' of snow.

mine(990) has a 1" spindal but has bushings and im almost certain it wasnt up graded from a 3/4".

i think we got sidetracked.....the question is what is the OP's machine ? 995 ? 998 ?

#20 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 12:56 PM

werent the 3/4 spindles installed in the older 3 lug hubs ? i cant get to the 960....its buried in 3' of snow.

mine(990) has a 1" spindal but has bushings and im almost certain it wasnt up graded from a 3/4".

You got me curious.  I never looked that close at the spindles on my '78 so I just checked.  They took the same 3/4" spindle as the older ones used then welded a 1" sleeve over the part the wheel rides on.  So its 3/4" at the axle down through the curve into the support then 1".  Kind of a dumb setup as you won't gain any strength where needed.  I've never seen the "loader" spindles; I hope that's not how they did them too.

i think we got sidetracked.....the question is what is the OP's machine ? 995 ? 998 ?

I plead guilty.  I'm probably one of the worst offenders to going off topic.

The original poster said it was a Vanguard so it should be the later model 998.  I'm pretty sure the 995s all used the opposed engines.

#21 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:27 PM

yours are 1"....same machine as my 995.  might have been Blacksmith's FEL build. i wanna say he made custom spindles for his machine or boxed em in...i forget.

Sal, is the sticker still under the seat so you can identify for sure ?

Sorry for the long delay guys. My work has been real busy. 

The model number under the seat is 144-998-190.

I made an assumption that the briggs Vanguard 18 hp was the original motor. I think that is true as far as I know. You all are kinda making me question though, I found a manual on MTD parts. (Well, i found a couple different ones). In the pictures, in the manual it shows an opposed horizontal twin not a V twin. Hmm. This may require some research. 

Let me clarify here. I do have a picture below of a horizontal opposed twin motor that i have swapped from an old craftsman. 

So, please when you see the pciture below, it is another motor that i have swapped to this machine for now. I swapped this motor to the White to just get it operational so i can check everything with the rearend and lift and get it to where i use it some. I do plan later to swap back to the original motor. 

I took this picture after I swapped this motor to it while it was being stored at my Dad's place. another interesting story here. The night I took this picture on the way home, there was tornado warnings in my area. Yes, I have it bad.

IMG_20140220_190452_538_zps60f0877f.jpg

#22 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:13 PM

For this new of a tractor, the vanguard would have been the correct engine

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#23 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:03 PM

For this new of a tractor, the vanguard would have been the correct engine

Yes, you are correct. I did some checking around my area and they were pricey even for a used one. I think i can probably find one this spring somewhere. 

#24 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:07 PM

It looks like you are short the side panels or you just haven't put them on. Does yours have the front PTO with cover like mine?    The models 995,996,998, ect were made for Ranch King, Tradesman, Yardman, Lawnflite, White, ect.    Some of the differences are engine, front spindles, pivot bar ass'y, labels and some little things, but all in all the same tractor.

I am missing one of the side covers. That will be fun finding that. Yes, it does have the front PTO cover. All of the drive to the rearend is shaft drive. There is one belt on the front of the motor going down that turns a shaft going into a gearbox that turns the deck. There is a belt from the gearbox to the individual spindles. 

#25 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:14 PM

This week i have been working on the deck spindles to turn freely and getting the brake pedal free. Lots of penetrating oil and patience. 

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding this type of spindle? Any input or direction would be appreciated.

IMG_20140305_211125_195_zpsf0d90026.jpg

#26 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:53 PM

I have an 848 MTD with the same spindles, You can take them apart and install new bearings. New ones are priced cheaper that the newer non rebuildable ones.  

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#27 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:28 PM

You have the new style 6 bolt spindle. They come apart the same as my spare set of three bolt spindles. Yours are very rusty so soak with Kroil or other good rust perpetrator oil. Everything comes apart towards the pulley except the blade adapter. Leave the blade on while removing the pulley bolt using an impact, jam the blade to the deck housing with a piece of 2 X 4 wood. The pulleys are easily damaged if using a puller. They are available to buy if you do some damage. Put the bolt back on and remove the blade then drive the spindle through part way with a lead hammer or some way not to damage the nut and threads. The bolts holding it to the deck may have to be snapped off or cut with a cutoff wheel.

The 2 bearings are just lightly pressed into the retainer housings.

The spindles are no longer available. (use care not to damage them)

The deck manual shows an exploded view.

The FYI file I keep has a list of part numbers for reference and some tips on taking the spindles apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by VTXrider, March 08, 2014 - 09:30 PM.

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#28 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 09, 2014 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for the info VTXrider. That some good stuff

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#29 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thanks VTXrider. Good information. 

I haven't made a lot of progress in last week or two. The weather has been bad and i have been car shopping for a family car. That's a whole novel story in of itself.

I have been here and there turning the spindles to make sure they are free and oiling them. I know that at some point i will need to dissemble the spindles as mentioned and install new bearings.

I have started the machine a couple times lately. It starts very easily with the swapped motor.

This picture below is little bit out of time line but this is right after i bought the tractor and had it on the big trailer waiting to go to Dad's place to swap the motor. It looks rough here but it is making progress now. 

IMG_20131228_102803_995_zps8a4f3a27.jpg

#30 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:15 PM

This is a picture with the hood sitting on it. The hood was laying upside down so that the moisture and rain had really done a number on it.

IMG_20131228_104720_872_zps0c74b843.jpg

• KennyP said thank you