Garden Tractor Forums banner

Anyone Have A Penn 88?

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Canawler 
#1 ·
for some reason I would like to have one. any for sale?

#3 ·
They seem to be much more rare than any of the Panzer models. I've only ever seen one of those for sale around this area and I have no idea what it brought but it did sell.

Just to tease, I'm pretty sure this was the one that was for sale and it was in 2012.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Good luck with the search.

Attachments

Reactions: Alc and Chris11
#5 ·
Chris11 please forgive for taking your thread too far off topic. :D

what is the one next to it?
That is a Work Bird. I don't really know much about them but I think there may be a thread or two on the forum where they've come up.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Green

Attachments

Reactions: Chris11
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't worry, I love all of this, Thanks for the picture of the 88.I saw one on CL in NH and I never called. I love the Panzers. And the storys that go with them. Think of the work they had to do to build them. They had to go to junk yards and pick up all those rear axles, and then drain oil out cut and weld everything back together. And I was told they Built just under 50,000 units I have a 1011 and a t75es and some spare parts.

#8 ·
Hi guys,

I have two Penn 88's. They are not for sale though. I bought them in July and August of 2012. I have never seen another one before or since. Just pure dumb luck that I was able to buy both of them within that short of a time span. I have a link to both with the stories of each. It is under "Penn 88 information." Here is the webpage. Just copy and paste.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/14622-penn-88-information/?hl=%20penn%20%2088

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

#14 ·
I know where there is one and I think it is for sale. It is all there BUT I think it is probably a parts machine. It is here in Western Mass. I will probably see the guy this weekend. If interested let me know.

Dave

#18 ·
Thanks for the pic , Jim. It has made me aware that the Penn 88 I spoke of in an above post and is possibly for sale is a Sabre not an 88. On another note Jim Haynes recently acquired a Mini Sabre. They are both rear engine machines as we all know now thanks to you.

Dave

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just looking through some sales literature, it looks like the Penn 88 was new for the '65 model year and it was in the '66 lineup as well. I don't have anything with the full product lineup for '67 so I'm not sure if the 88 was still around then. My guess would be that it was because the Sabre came out for the '68 model year. The brochure says the Sabre was available in 7 & 5 hp models and doesn't mention the mini-Sabre. Maybe it was a '69??

The info I have on the Penn 88 says it had a 6 hp Briggs and 30" rotary or reel mower. They were fairly beefy for that type of machine at 360lb with reel mower and 365lb with rotary mower. Available attachments were hubcaps, front snow plow, dump cart, and a triple gang reel mower set.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was told by the guy I bought my Penn 88 from they were only available in '66. You know how info like that goes though. If it's in the '67 lineup too, there goes that theory!
1967 is the one I'm not sure about. I don't have a full product line brochure for that year. I was just guessing they still would want a rear engine rider in the lineup. If the Sabre didn't come out until the '68 model year you would think they would have left the Penn 88 in production to fill that niche until then, but maybe not?

The one I'm pretty sure about is 1965. The new product announcement had a 1964 date and said it was for the 88th year. And it was definitely in the '66 model year brochure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.