20 replies to this topic

#1 David A. OFFLINE  

David A.
  • Member No: 53935
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Have 1965 Speedex S14 with mower deck.

Got tractor as pile of parts, no engine or mount and got it running 10 years ago.  Never installed the mower deck.  Now have restored the tractor and want to in stall the deck.  Deck design has twisted belt from jack-shaft to blade shaft, and second belt from motor.  Photos show some kind of sliding link along side motor to move idler pulley and engage power.  Do not have those parts but can make them, but have not been able to figure just what holds the idler pulley in position.  Speedex tactor information.com has file showing my type of deck, but parts drawing is for a different type of clutch so no help there.

Any help will be appreciated.

David A.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Is it like the one in this picture?

post-10613-0-03916200-1360764473.jpg

• David A. said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:56 PM

There is a manual at speedex site for just mowers. Thought it had all models there and the drives/mounts as diff. All in one. Not the clearest image tho on the mount/linkage pages. Was thinking same one here, maybe it is better? I have one and could scan page or two if you don't find it. Sometimes they threw on what-ever they had and I think they made improvements as they built and not all are same mounts as used in past. I have a lever off of some model that I took off my tractor, the 1430. It just pivoted on a bolt on side of frame behind the main lift arm I think. Just a rod on a pipe pivot. Might still have it if wanted. Don't have any more of it tho.

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 06:08 PM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:06 PM

http://www.speedextr...com/Mowers.html

I got a mower to and all the parts dont understand how it bolts up but dont really need it.  probaly put it up for sale on day

#6 David A. OFFLINE  

David A.
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:15 AM

Mower deck is exactly like picture in first reply by moderator, (but with more rust) am missing parts shown in snow on right corner.  Can see that those parts pivot idler to engage belt drive, but not how the slide rod actually holds idler in position, or if any spring in the system to account for movement as deck follows ground.

The mower deck manual on Speedex site shows mower like mine in picture, but the diagrams do not match with the drive arrangement of the unit their picture. Diagram is dated 1971, and may be for a later version.

Am attaching a couple of photos.   Tractor did cleanup pretty good.  It is not stock.  I stretched it about 4" when first reassembling it 10 years ago as it tended to rear back on me when plowing up hill. Engine is 8 hp B&S that I had on hand, and main tires are now 7.00 x 16 and filled with RimGguard with new old style three rib tires on front.  In current configuration it is more of an S23 than an S14.  Have Speedex cultivator and plow blade, and a third party cut-down moldboard plow.that fits.  Initially bought the tractor as a rusty old pile of parts when moved here thinking to use it to raise some veggies.  Rabbits got most of those, so gave that up, and tractor has been mostly in storage since.

Picked up a very cheap Case 220 last year when needed something better to haul a lot of dirt from ditch cleaning operation. Was about to take old Speedex to metal recycle place last fall but engine started right up and found source for new tires, so did major clean up on it.  All complete but for the mower deck.  I can design something that will work for this, but would like to make near original if possible.

Also have a much modified Simplicity Wonder-boy (1959 or 60)  that is still primary lawn mower here.  Distinctive cover over rear mounted engine was missing when i got it about 1975.  Now on third engine.   That mower may get a clean-up next winter.

Meanwhile, any info on how that sliding link that moves idler wheel to engage mower drive works, would be appreciated.

David A.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2783_1.JPG
  • IMG_2785_1.JPG

• superspeedex said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Guess I can't help much, but most Speedex levers have an over-center or camming action to them to hold in place. Like the snow plow or rear lift. Some of the pedal linkages are complicated with two rods running off the shafts and adjustable both ways and things like that. I don't know how they came up with some  of this stuff.  There really isn't much for actual repairs and set-ups on this brand. Guess just a guide and you are on your own. 

• superspeedex and David A. have said thanks

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yea speedex sure did have the simplest setups out there

#9 David A. OFFLINE  

David A.
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Okay, will just improvise and make something that works and looks vaguely similar to what i see in some photos.  Have not seen any two photos of that part that are identical anyway.

David A.

#10 David A. OFFLINE  

David A.
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Quick observation,  Most photos of under belly mower deck installations I have seen for S14 - S23 tractors show the mower drive belt tension idler pushing back against forward most side of the belt.  In checking mine, found that is the tight side.  Examined factory brochure photos, and "most" of those seem to show the idler pushing forward on on the rear most side of the belt.  This makes much more sense, and the small coil springs I have seen on forward end of the control rod would be in right place for this mode of operation, so making mine that way.

David A.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Not sure this will help, probaly confuse you even more. I'm new to Speedexs and this deck wa welded to tractor and PO had it driving straight off motor. It appears though tractor has one lever to engage deck mounted on left side while the deck appears to have it's own engagement mounted directly to deck. Obviously I have a mismatched pair.

Here are the pics I snapped while at my parents' today, hope it helps a little even though not complete.

2014-03-01_14-51-34_682_zps2715eb97.jpg

2014-03-01_14-51-44_850_zpsc247d31c.jpg

2014-03-01_14-52-36_5_zps091dc8cb.jpg

2014-03-01_14-52-47_67_zps817472a7.jpg

2014-03-01_14-52-54_459_zps30249df6.jpg

• superspeedex and David A. have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Wow! I'm confused!  Those pair of belts right and with that twist in them? Seems like a wear area if they even stay on. This looks like a chain linked timed blade deck? Most of mine run off vertical belts direct from engine and down to a gear box on mower deck.  The pulley that tighens the belt is on a fairly long arm and swivels off side of frame. Idler on frame too that is bolted tight and not moving. Can't recall which one is the V side or flat side, but recal one of each there. S models must be much diff? In the one color picture above shows a little engagement lever behind the lift lever, all painted red. That is the lever that was on mine and I took it off. Not sure I still have or threw it away.  I didn't have any of the long rod links or other parts to go with it.

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yea, this tractor is all jacked up. The deck was actually welded to the mower frame and no belt engagement, it was always running when motor was pushed forward to drive tractor.

From the link superspeedex postes, I deduce that I have a 44" deck , chain driven blade, on a tractor that came with a smaller one. Thiose double belts were stock.

This deck does not match the tractor and nothing was hooked up properly. The tractor has the engagent lever on the side with the lift lever, then the deck had it's own engagement. Pullies are missing, no springs, bolts broke, etc. I would have to figure it out if I ever decide to use it.

#14 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:24 PM

I have the hard ware and deck like 36 inch for my s19 probaly going to sell it casue i will never use it but it has the same lever like tahoes pictures

#15 David A. OFFLINE  

David A.
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Wow! I'm confused!  Those pair of belts right and with that twist in them? Seems like a wear area if they even stay on. This looks like a chain linked timed blade deck? Most of mine run off vertical belts direct from engine and down to a gear box on mower deck.  The pulley that tighens the belt is on a fairly long arm and swivels off side of frame. Idler on frame too that is bolted tight and not moving. Can't recall which one is the V side or flat side, but recal one of each there. S models must be much diff? In the one color picture above shows a little engagement lever behind the lift lever, all painted red. That is the lever that was on mine and I took it off. Not sure I still have or threw it away.  I didn't have any of the long rod links or other parts to go with it.

Looks like either the later models or the larger ones used the doubled quarter twist drive.  Mine, a 36" deck on an S14, has single belt only.  Exploded view of deck shown on Speedex info site seems to show a clutch arrangement on mower deck rather than the moving idler to tension belt running down from motor most often seen.  The last set of photos look like that deck may have that arrangement.  Have not actually seen one of those.

Expect to have my re-installation of deck complete when a new sheaves and belts arrive next week.

David A.