#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 01:16 PM

This seems to be a well used topic but I figured I would put my two penny's in anyhow.  Today I went out to the garage bored and saw the b-10 setting there with the blower looking lonely so I went over to play, the steering has always been an issue and today is the day to fix things.  upon taking it apart I have discovered there are allot of worn out and bad parts.

To be fair I have had this apart once already do free it up, so the bearings where still ok this time.  the bushing for the steering gear is worn down and the holes for the steering wheel cross bolt bushings are worn out.  Looks like I have some work to do, going to make an new bushing tomorrow.  probably just do a weld buildup around the holes and re-drill them the rite size.

as for greasing the bearings (there is no way to do it ) I am going to drill up the center of the steering shaft then cross drill, once that is done I will tap for a grease fitting on the bottom so I can grease the bearings from under the tractor anytime I want.

I will get pics as I go along.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Who here loves tractor supply co?????  I DO>>  would you believe they have a bushing in stock that will replace the steering bushing in an allis big ten.  brass bushing 1/2"to 5/8" by 1.125 long, it was a little short so I put a plastic bushing in the end to make up the short end but otherwise it worked perfectly.

Great idea's sometimes fall short, the steering shaft ( I guess it could be called the pitman arm ) is a hardened shaft so drilling it is out of the question unless you have a Bridgeport and good end mill.

All I need to do now is re-assemble and adjust and I should be able to get it done tomorrow. pics to come tomorrow.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yup...they have a great variety of bushings and hardware.  I'm a frequent visitor.  (I was recently disappointed to find out they were no longer going to stock ag tractor PTO shaft parts, but they let me dig though pallets of the stuff in the back, which was going to be returned to their supplier...excellent!)

It's good to replace that bushing from time to time...once it wears through, the eccentric pin will wear, and that's a tough peice to reproduce.  Some folks have added a grease zerk to the steering box to keep that bushing lubed.