• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Anybody on here printed your own decals?  I've a lot to do between now and decal applying time but I'm trying to plan ahead on the restoration of my Simplicity 728. I've looked at the info on the 'net a little. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

• hamman said thank you

#2 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Thinking some more. Sometimes that gets me in trouble. The decals on 728s and some other Simplicitys are letters and numbers on a "woodgrain" background. I'm pretty sure stick-on woodgrain  is available in home improvement supplies. I wonder if the letters and numbers can be printed on clear material and applied over the woodgrain? I'll share what I find out and post pics of how this turns out.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:15 AM

Just don't use an inkjet printer as that ink is water soluble.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:39 AM

I suggest looking through Vintage Reproductions. (clickitandstickit.com) Lots of their older Simplicity stuff is available individually. When you finish the restoration, you can applies decals at any time, doesn't have to done right away.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 12:18 PM

Lots of offers from people making them already. Would think they have all the issues worked out and easy to get and apply? Hunter? decals in Texas.  Think there is forum called "Simple Tractors" about simplicity and maybe someone there makes them or has good source?  Pre made kits seem the best in price, considering time/materials finding/mistakes corrected on homemade ones. Plus they have way to make diff fonts and angles and tapers and such that would think most home guys don't have

Doesn't seem worth the time to me to try to make yourself.    

(The "other" view of this subject)

• hamman, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I am currently having a set made for my Custom JD 430............All of the decals on the hood are going to be a different color but same design. Lettering will be changed up a little bit but still using the same font.  The serial number decal is also being done in the same color. The sign shop that we use at work is doing them and they are actually going to be less expensive than the replacement decals from Mother Deere.  I just sent them a good picture of the decals, dimensions and the changes that I wanted made and she hit them dead on the head!  Waiting on the painter to get me a paint sample for her to match the colors up.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I suggest looking through Vintage Reproductions. (clickitandstickit.com) Lots of their older Simplicity stuff is available individually. When you finish the restoration, you can applies decals at any time, doesn't have to done right away.

Vintage Reproductions is a good place. I had them make me a decal. It looks great and was a good price. It's a mazing how he was able to use the pictures and the dimensions I sent him and make such a close reproduction.

P.S.

This picture is not the actual decal. This is the example he sent me before he printed it.

Attached Thumbnails

• HULL.jpg
  • 101_0163.JPG

Edited by Gabriel, February 23, 2014 - 07:56 PM.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#8 Vinylguy OFFLINE  

Vinylguy
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 11062
  • 41 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Anybody on here printed your own decals?  I've a lot to do between now and decal applying time but I'm trying to plan ahead on the restoration of my Simplicity 728. I've looked at the info on the 'net a little. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

thom

I have been focused on reproduction Wheel horse decals for the past 7 years and have not really messed with any other tractors. Did a few panzer decals

and a few custom JD hood decals but that's about it. My wife and I have moved our shop home now and are focusing on our wheel Horse decals.

I dont have to worry about any walk in customers so I have more time to further develop my website and grow my catalog of vintage L&GT graphics

and go to more shows this year.

I have done a few Simplicity decals way back in 1998 but I am not too familiar with all the models they produced. If you can not find a supplier for the decals you need you are welcome to send me a picture and I will see if it is something I have done or could do.

• Chris11, Newpaws493 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#9 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 07:27 PM

...I have done a few Simplicity decals way back in 1998 but I am not too familiar with all the models they produced. If you can not find a supplier for the decals you need you are welcome to send me a picture and I will see if it is something I have done or could do.

Vinylguy, Welcome aboard! :wave:  Personally I've thought it'd be nice to have a source when needing a few decals rather than having to order full sets.

Edited by Newpaws493, February 26, 2014 - 07:27 PM.

• Chris11 said thank you

#10 Vinylguy OFFLINE  

Vinylguy
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 11062
  • 41 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 11:53 PM

Vinylguy, Welcome aboard! :wave:  Personally I've thought it'd be nice to have a source when needing a few decals rather than having to order full sets.

Thanks

when you need a single decal that I have in a kit or you need one replicated just send me a pm and I will list it seperately or take a look at it to see if I can accurately reproduce it for you. Thanks

Vinylguy

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks