• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:40 AM

I would really like to see someone step up and make aftermarket rear lift assemblies for various brand tractors and wheel weights. There are a lot of people out there like me that want the factory stuff but a lot of times they go for prices as if they were gold and I can't afford that. I could afford a cheaper aftermarket alternative as I am not one that has to have oem stuff.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:52 AM

I would love to build some of that kind of stuff to sell. Would further pay off my hobby debts & expenses, but I just don't have the time anymore. :( I gotta find time to make some steering wheel caps as it is.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Cast iron wheel weights (solid one piece) would be really easy to make. Once you figure in the shrink rate for cast iron, all you need to do is make a wood template on a lathe and send it off to one of the foundarys to be have your mold cast. The problem is that it might be more expensive than the originals... However, there are some Amish in PA (I think) that do awesome work reasonabley priced. The problem is they are not too easy to contact... as they do not have a phone, but do have a placed you can call and leave a message.

As for the hitch, I was talking to larry from GTReproduction via e-mail the other day about just that idea. I think they might sell pretty good myself. (See the thread going on now) I really think I am going to try to make a cleaner version of the multi-hitch for myself. Photos may be up soon.

#4 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:49 PM

I did find plans for a sleeve hitch for John Deere 100/112 style tractors, not sure if I found it on this site or not, but I haven't talked to anyone to get a price on building them tho, I know it doesn't help the Massey fellas... As far as wheel weights, cast iron has a rather low shrinkage rate 1/8" over a foot. I know a guy who is a foreman in a foundry here so I will try to call him this evening to see if we could work something out for wheel weights, and I'll keep you posted.

Edited by jj69chev, January 08, 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#5 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm not an expert at anything, heck I have trouble navagating on this computer thing. But if I were a man that wanted to try and build something to sell, and was even able to, I probably would build 2 or three and see if they sold. Having said that, if I were to have a wish list like some of my colleauges here it would be for some old-new chrome half moon hub caps with massey written on them. Shows I grew up in the real muscle car age.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:45 PM

I would be willing to bet that if a plaster cast was made from a wheel weight, it would almost not make a difference in shrinkage. If done as a mold, a little extra could be added to it to build it up in areas that are needed. If this could be done fairly inexpensive, I might be able to produce the mold to make them from. My neighbor has a set on his tractor and if I am right, they are all the same. After you talk to your friend, drop me a PM with what it would cost to cast them per weight. We really should move this to a new topic though.

#7 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:22 PM

Haven't been able to get hold of him yet, but will keep trying. I think the weights are the same for the 10-16 if the rims are all the same size, my MF8 has them but obviously much smaller seeing they're 8" rims. I agree we should move this to a new post