#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 12:15 AM

I was using my Kubota L2000 the other day, I was moving some dirt with the loader, I turned the steering wheel to the left (with a empty bucket) and I heard a light "click" and then I lost steering to the left!.

It can still turn to the right and it turns to the left until straight but it wont turn any further to the left.

Also when I turn to the left it's like the steering shaft is unscrewing and it extends out, I haven't yet taken it apart to see what the damage is.

I have a hydraulic steering valve, I'm think about going to power steering?

Has anyone ever had this happen the them?
Thanks for any info

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 06:36 AM

You may have lost the nut on the steering shaft in the steering box. I will need to come apart to fix it.
  • Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:09 AM

You may have lost the nut on the steering shaft in the steering box. I will need to come apart to fix it.

That sounds like a good diagnosis. When you turn to the right the gearing is pushing the shaft down but when turning to the left it "unscrews". I was thinking it could be a clip or something came off somewhere but the nut coming loose would do the same thing. Those tractors are like tanks, so hopefully you can get it sorted out without too much work or expense. 

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll try and get it pulled apart today and I'll see what it looks like.
I hope the nut came off, I have had this happen to 2 garden tractors (ford LGT165 and JD 140) and there is a bolt that breaks off in the steering box. Obviously this Kubota is a lot heavier so I'm hoping it's nothing major.

It looks like it's going to be a hassle to get the steering box out, the steering shaft goes through the fuel tank, so I don't know if I need to pull the tank or not? maybe I can just get it pulled apart where it is and not remove it.

I have had trouble with the steering for a while, when it gets real cold (like 18deg and under) it wont steer to the left, It is like it's cold and wont move. Maybe this has something to do with it?
Thanks again for the info :wave:

#5 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Good luck with the removal. You will have to remove the tank as well as the console. I have a b8200 and the steering has gone out on it as well. I have been wanting to upgrade or improve the steering, but with all the creeks and moans that the steering makes, it's time. I will keep an eye out on hour post. Maybe between a few kubota guys, we can post a how to on a orbital upgrade and a power assist.

Good luck!
  • BTS said thank you

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:31 AM

sounds like a good time to go power steering to me.

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking the same thing, when I get some free time (like that would ever happen :( ) I'm going to pull it apart.

The only issue with power steering is where to fit everything, I don't want to make to big of modifications because it's a pretty nice tractor.
I might regret doing anything to drastic.
I'm hoping to fit the steering valve where the steering box is???, I guess I'll see how much room there is when I get it taken apart.

Thanks