#76 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Congrats to hear you got it to run and are on your way to restoring!

I may someday look into getting one, but I got too many now, but they are growing on me.

• Sawdust said thank you

#77 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Is that muffler original to the tractor? It looks like the same one that should be on some of the Suburbans. Glad to see the project is moving along!

Jim I don't believe it is the original because of the elbows someone added. The one in the manual shows a long vertical canister type with a short pipe on the outlet.

• classic said thank you

#78 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Congrats to hear you got it to run and are on your way to restoring!

I may someday look into getting one, but I got too many now, but they are growing on me.

Marty these things grew fast on me too when I saw Olcowhands green Unico 15. Then I saw others on here so I had to find one. I didn't know they existed until then . I did some research on them to find out what I could. I'm a sucker for the grill on a GT. Three of the four GT's I have I bought because I liked the grilles...MF12, SS15, & the 990. This 990 will be my do what ever I want GT & not worry too much about keeping it original.

#79 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Jim. It looks almost the same as this original one from a sears Suburban 10. I've seen them in original pics on 68' Suburban 12's also. I'm going to be making one for my 68' out of Briggs muffler with the perforations in the center only and a piece of exhaust pipe.

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqZHJFEFGkQb5giYBRr-0i0cWw~~60_35.jpeg

Edited by classic, April 01, 2014 - 10:30 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#80 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Marty these things grew fast on me too when I saw Olcowhands green Unico 15. Then I saw others on here so I had to find one. I didn't know they existed until then . I did some research on them to find out what I could. I'm a sucker for the grill on a GT. Three of the four GT's I have I bought because I liked the grilles...MF12, SS15, & the 990. This 990 will be my do what ever I want GT & not worry too much about keeping it original.

I got to see Daniel's in person on plow day, then Doug took it home with him across the border, beautiful tractor. That was the first time I really saw one too.

The MF grill is by far the best grill on a GT, looks just like the big boys they made!

• DH1 and Sawdust have said thanks

#81 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Jim. It looks almost the same as this original one from a sears Suburban 10. I've seen them in original pics on 68' Suburban 12's also. I'm going to be making one for my 68' out of Briggs muffler with the perforations in the center only and a piece of exhaust pipe.

Jim if you want this one I can send it to you. I will be swapping it out soon anyway because I will be doing a tear down...let me know.

• classic said thank you

#82 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 01:41 PM

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate that Jim. There's no rush at all, since I still have to drop the block and crank off at the machine shop.I finally found an NOS rod and piston assembly for the rebuild.

#83 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:40 PM

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate that Jim. There's no rush at all, since I still have to drop the block and crank off at the machine shop.I finally found an NOS rod and piston assembly for the rebuild.

Will do, my pleasure I'll let you know when I mail it.

• classic said thank you

#84 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Well I gave the ole girl a good pressure washing early this morning. Everything cleaned up really well. I blow dried it some & let it sit in the sun for awhile to dry. I changed the oil, put the carb & gas tank back on with a filter. Just as soon as I turned the battery pack on it started. I let it run for a few minutes then I went through all the gears high & low. I need a little adjustment in neutral, it wants to creep a little. It throttles up & down good but shakes a little at low rpm. For the hydraulic test I've been waiting for was a complete disaster, as soon as I moved the lever hoses busted, fluid squirted out everywhere.....just kidding April fools. I was amazed, up & down works great no leaks anywhere. After cleaning it up I believe the hoses have been replaced recently because all the lettering on the hoses are very clear not faded. My hydraulic fan has a couple fins broke. I found them on ebay for around $52. yeah right. I also found a couple parts places had them for $25. plus about $5. for the snap ring. I'm letting it sit  for awhile to see if any of the hoses or shaft seals leak any. Since everything seems to be in good working order I think I'll just take everything apart, clean & paint. My wife is worried I have forgot her Massey so I'll be buying some paint for that one soon & maybe some blue & black too :smilewink: 

• Gabriel said thank you

#85 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Glad you got it running! Have fun!

• Sawdust said thank you

#86 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Shipped out today Jim, hope it works as well for you as the starter did for me. Thanks again.

#87 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate it.

#88 oaktown1987 OFFLINE  

oaktown1987
  • Member No: 54613
  • 11 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Heat happen to mtd or any tractor for that matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#89 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I ordered a replacement fan a few days ago to replace mine because it had a few splits in the blades. I finally started sand blasting some of the sheet metal parts today. Wow was this ole girl rusty. It looks like the hood will need some Bondo to smooth things out before painting or it will look like a major orange peel. The tunnel has a few spots that will need some as well. The foot rusts are pitted a little but I wanted to put some aluminum diamond plates on those area's anyway. I'm going to use some solvents to take the decals off or use a flapper wheel. I noticed my rubber bushing that goes in the bottom of the fuel tank is bad & leaking some. When I cleaned my tank I noticed it was in bad shape so I'll shop for one of those. Next up I'll clean all the parts, prime & skim coat the pitted areas.

sb1.jpg sb2.jpg sb3.jpg sb4.jpg

• TAHOE and Gabriel have said thanks

#90 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 09:48 PM

I ordered a replacement fan a few days ago to replace mine because it had a few splits in the blades. I finally started sand blasting some of the sheet metal parts today. Wow was this ole girl rusty. It looks like the hood will need some Bondo to smooth things out before painting or it will look like a major orange peel. The tunnel has a few spots that will need some as well. The foot rusts are pitted a little but I wanted to put some aluminum diamond plates on those area's anyway. I'm going to use some solvents to take the decals off or use a flapper wheel. I noticed my rubber bushing that goes in the bottom of the fuel tank is bad & leaking some. When I cleaned my tank I noticed it was in bad shape so I'll shop for one of those. Next up I'll clean all the parts, prime & skim coat the pitted areas.

attachicon.gifsb1.jpgattachicon.gifsb2.jpgattachicon.gifsb3.jpgattachicon.gifsb4.jpg

Nice work!

Can you tell me about your sand blaster setup?
  • Sawdust said thank you