• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#46 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:46 PM

My parts tractor has a broken SG rear plate. The two brackets for it are shown in the picture. Would either be the one you need?  I would be willing to sell them.

If I can find a rear plate I might be interested in yours after all...I'll let you know.

#47 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:38 PM

I have the brackets but mine has the broken rear plate as well but thanks anyway. Do you have a pic of the blue & gray to the right of your table posted anywhere. I'm leaning on the color blue a lot.

Here are pictures when I first picked this one up from Fort Wayne, In. for $550 with the deck and snow plow. I missed out on the mold board plow and disc. It is a Wizard from Florida and the blue color is not original. The owner painted it for his son this color because he liked Dale Junior in car 88.

The other picture is when it found a new parking space in the shop.

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD6.jpg
  • MTD5.jpg
  • Image 01.jpg

• sacsr, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#48 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Jim(Sawdust), how's your recovery coming along?

Edited by Gabriel, March 06, 2014 - 09:53 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#49 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Gabriel kind of slow getting my strength back but its coming along good. I started a small cabinet job today, I had to cut up five sheets of 3/4" Birch plywood. I'm beat & really sore. I probably over did it but it felt good working outside & making sawdust again. Thanks for asking. I'm having visions of red paint soon. Lol
  • Gabriel said thank you

#50 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:05 PM

I had a chance today to give the ole beast a preliminary inspection with out trying to start it. I will be getting a SG from one of our members Classic...excited. The underneath looked good not hardly any old fluid leakage with embedded dirt. The hydraulic cylinder shaft was clean & shiny no rust or pitting. The frame dosen't have the large hole on the side which was a problem with these for frame breakage near this hole. I have the original battery hold down brackets. The dash panel only has a small scuff area near the front edge no cracks or missing pieces which is typical. The front grille has no cracks & is very solid. I did notice some original paint on the inside of the grille, looks like a metalic lime green instead of the dark faded green on the exterior. The color almost looks like the famous Olcowhand lime green Unico 15 that he did & I like a lot. The choke & throttle cables are not frozen. I pulled the plug & it looks good inside & plenty of pressure on the intake & exhaust. I have the tool box under the seat. I recenty purchased three pieces of tin from ebay, one is the belt shroud that was missing, the heat shield over the engine & the other piece I haven't figured it out yet. Now my concerns, will it start, no seat but I have the spring  :D , I don't have the 3 point hitch assembly & anxious to see if the hydraulics work. Stay tuned in for more!

• HowardsMF155, trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#51 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Belt Shroud on epay???  Man, missed that. Most of the 990 stuff has been the same stuff for a year it seems like. I did just get those silver fenders they had there, nice shape when I got them. I want a belt guard, wahahahah!

• Sawdust said thank you

#52 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:14 PM

GL something I recently found out when you run a search don't just search MTD 990. Check other possibilities like Farm King, Turf Trac etc. If I see one of those shrouds again I'll let you know.
  • Bolens800uk said thank you

#53 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Dad had a 14hp gear drive a few years ago with that ugly color of green. They stop putting the hole in the frame from 75' on, don't really know way it was there in the first place.

As soon as the weather breaks I'm going to start on 2 of mine ,

• Sawdust said thank you

#54 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:33 PM

The starter generator is all cleaned up and works fine. The receipt from the post office says you'll have it in two days. Get your wrenches ready!
  • KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#55 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 07:17 PM

The starter generator is all cleaned up and works fine. The receipt from the post office says you'll have it in two days. Get your wrenches ready!

Thanks again Jim I PM'ed you earlier. Gentlemen like yourself & others is what makes a good forum.

• classic said thank you

#56 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I mounted the SG I received from Classic yesterday & it works great. The engine sounds strong & with lots of pressure. I had to jump the solenoid because the ignition switch is bad. I could only get a weak spark grounding the plug wire to ground. I know this could be serious but way too much bad wiring to come to a conclusion right now. This GT according to the schematics has two safety switches, I can only see one right now. I do have a safety switch plug near the other one but no switch. I'm thinking about bypassing any safety switches for right now. I'm also thinking about rewiring too, it's just too much of a mess to try & trouble shoot the way it is. It was really late last night so I'll post a few pics later today.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#57 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Weak spark may just be the points need cleaned or replaced. I had no spark on the B&S I have, sanded/cleaned and reset them and got decent spark.

• Sawdust said thank you

#58 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:59 AM

That's my thoughts too Marty along with rusty connections everywhere. Sometimes I think it's best to go ahead & eliminate most possibilities before adding gas & trying to start especially visually I can see the wiring is a mess. It looks like a bunch of cross eyed monkeys did the wiring. I even got a push button in the cig hole of the dash & it's got a pink wire on it  :(

#59 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:15 AM

Points can get goofed up just from sitting over winter, the temp. change and humidity can play games. I usually have to clean them up every spring, and that's with the Briggs and the Kohlers.

I guess I should try that electronic conversion for the big block Briggs.

• Sawdust said thank you

#60 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thinking of the same thing now Halfscale. I opened up the points area & lo & behold brand new points & condenser. My problem is a wore out points plunger rod. I have to decide now whether to replace or convert to electronic. I did find the pushrod but not the bushing for $36.  :mad2: I remember I think that the bushing should be replaced also so some more research I guess in that area. I will post a help thread later on this area. I also bought all the wires I need yesterday for the rewire but I guess I'll hold off on that for a while. My ignition switch looks bad so I might brake that apart to clean or find a new one. I also want to replace the wiring plugs on this too.  

My real nice donated SG from Classic

sg.jpg

My cross eyed monkey wiring mess

wiring1.jpg wiring2.jpg wiring3.jpg wiring4.jpg

My new points & pushrod area

points.jpg pr2.jpg