215 replies to this topic

#31 Vinylguy OFFLINE  

Vinylguy
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 11062
  • 41 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 02:20 PM

It was the hydro decal on the tunnel. Is that silver a metallic or just a light silver?

Thanks 

http://gardentractor...-up-a-mtd-990/#

#32 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 05:38 PM

It was the hydro decal on the tunnel. Is that silver a metallic or just a light silver?

Thanks 

http://gardentractor...-up-a-mtd-990/#

I will know for sure tomorrow & I'll let you know.

#33 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I will know for sure tomorrow & I'll let you know.

It looks silver with a touch of metallic & black trim.

#34 Vinylguy OFFLINE  

Vinylguy
  • Sponsor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Jim

• Sawdust said thank you

#35 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Picked the ole girl up today & man did that rust glare in the sunshine :D  It looks like surface rust not pitted or showing any damaged areas. I do have one major problem the starter generator was off & the one he gave me has a broken bracket :mad2:  I'll test it tomorrow to see if it runs or not it seems kind of tight. I also noticed it has two brand new tires up front with new wheels. They just don't match :bigrofl: One is a Carlisle Super Trac II turf & the other a Cheng Shin Tire it has smooth ribs both are 16x6.50x8. The rears have very good tread but some cracks but both have tubes.

Edited by Sawdust, March 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#36 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Glad to know its home, and a good home at that!

• Sawdust said thank you

#37 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:51 PM

I would say Canawler is right with the 76 or 77. I am leaning towards a 76. The engine number may get it closer, which is on the top of the fan cover or on the lower edge of the fan cover. Post that number and maybe someone can help with the decoding.

You have a great project tractor Sawdust, keep us updated on your progress, with both machines.

Guys according to the B&S engine numbers I have a 1976 june 29 Plant 1  The code numbers are 7606291 correct me if I missed something. The Model number is 326431 & the Type number is 0204-01 You guys are good!

• VTXrider said thank you

#38 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 465 Thanks
  • 333 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:09 AM

My parts tractor has a broken SG rear plate. The two brackets for it are shown in the picture. Would either be the one you need?  I would be willing to sell them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#39 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:18 PM

My parts tractor has a broken SG rear plate. The two brackets for it are shown in the picture. Would either be the one you need?  I would be willing to sell them.

I have the brackets but mine has the broken rear plate as well but thanks anyway. Do you have a pic of the blue & gray to the right of your table posted anywhere. I'm leaning on the color blue a lot.

Edited by Sawdust, March 02, 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#40 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 414 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Guys according to the B&S engine numbers I have a 1976 june 29 Plant 1  The code numbers are 7606291 correct me if I missed something. The Model number is 326431 & the Type number is 0204-01 You guys are good!

Would be shift 1, not plant 1

• Sawdust said thank you

#41 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 414 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Was looking at the pictures of your MTD and was wondering if the console decal was originally chrome and black?

The console decals for the hydro and the gear drives are black on chrome , I have reproductions done of both, though I am out of the hydros right now, the dash decals are black and then the plate is painted a hammered silver.

• sacsr, Vinylguy and Sawdust have said thanks

#42 Vinylguy OFFLINE  

Vinylguy
  • Sponsor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks Halfscale, I thought maybe they were. they look very similar to the console decals I have done for some Wheel Horse tractors.

#43 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 414 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 02:42 PM

i like the yellow on that machine but i dont like the lt. brown frame & accents. i also wouldnt have put a MM decal on er. just me though.

Olcowhands paint job came out awsome. seen a few other machines with nice paint jobs of original(or close) colors.

if i ever get around to tearing mine down i thought about going Cat yellow or Chevy orange. leaning heavily towards Chevy orange since that color pops. and maybe add some flake to the paint.

those last 3 machines are 960's. all of those look pretty cool. what was the starting platform for that Massey ? Simplicity/AC ?

I don't want to take away from this thread or make it go in another direction, but to answer cityboy2977s' question;

The massey 1100 is based on a john deere round fender 110 frame, it was stretched about 10 inches. The deere frame actually spaced out better for half size than did a massey frame. The engine is a 10HP tecumseh out of a bolens, but deeres are already drilled for tecumseh. This tractor was built from the left over parts from the 4010 hi crop.

The MTD puller belongs to a friend of mine, he thought the MTD looked like the Moline M5, so the colors are prairie gold and dyna brown like the big tractors. He has an extensive Moline collection ,but didn't want to pull a real Moline garden tractor

• Sawdust said thank you

#44 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,974 Thanks
  • 6,737 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Wow! Went back thru and looking at those nice MTD's makes me Drool! Course I Love that MM version. Now has me thinking for my latest find.  I did a Wheelhorse  GT14 in similar colors. I sold it at show. Fella thought it was a shame to make so nice, but use wrong colors! Ha!  I like to have something diff than everybody else.  Those mini models sure are nice. I don't have the skills or money to make them so good, but try best I can with what I have. I've made many GT's into MM colors. I still like the Yellow with the Red accents best, see my avatar.  This one is brighter yellow tho, and next one will need to be the "orangey" color like this one I think.  I usually put EX model on mine for Experimental.  They are "One-offs" that way, ha! 

Wondering about those big rubber circles and wheelie bars??  and the Hitch?  The look pretty beefy!  do they connect to more than the tin on back of frames? Say on the 3point mounts maybe?  Guess they are a quick-disconnect thing?  Must be pullers. They beefed up in power or is that just a requirement to run in pulls?  The fenders on these look nicer than the just flat ones on 990's. Guess someone noted they are diff models. I bet they hold up better to pushing and leaning on then the 990's do. They needed to put some supports under the back end of those to stiffen. I'm gonna do mine that way with W-horse supports off a D series. Or maybe that was the GT14's?  Saving your picture for my Desk top now.

• Sawdust said thank you

#45 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I found out today that the starter generator I have is not for this GT at all. I have nothing in the way of a SG so I posted a help thread in the MTD section. Thanks