• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#196 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 01:25 PM

I can share in your excitement. I am having withdrawals with this coldness. (could not find a "burrr" happy face).

• Sawdust said thank you

#197 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 05:03 PM

An absolutely fascinating thread about your restoration project. I am looking forward to seeing the final results and if it is anything I have seen so far it will be a top notch resto. Thanks.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#198 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 12:02 PM

I made me a tail light bar. If you want to see the build go over to  Tractor Restorations Tips & Tricks section. Thanks!

http://gardentractor...ilight-bar-diy/

Light bar20.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Moosetales and 4 others have said thanks

#199 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:45 PM

I installed the light bar yesterday but just way too cold to wire it up. I cut a 1/2" notch out of the lower right side of the back of the tool box for the plastic conduit. I say notch because this TB will have to be removed to check the tranny oil. It will travel across the right bottom corner of the TB then up to a 1/2" hole in the right lower corner of the light bar.

Light bar18.jpg

These tractors had a spring on the side of the Hydro Lever that kept them from flopping around inside the Control Index Bracket. Most all of these are broke or missing. Most pics of these I've seen have no fix other than to tighten the tension to keep the lever from creeping. The CIB has notches to keep the lever in forward, neutral & reverse. Here is mine showing the upper part of the factory spring broke off.

ref15.jpg

Here is my simple but functional fix. I took a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" oak & cut a half round into the back side of the spacer to fit snug against the lever. I used two 3/4" x 1/8" O rings for my tension. This was just a mock up at first & if worked I was going to replace the wood with a piece of aluminum. Being a carpenter I might just leave some wood on this ole girl since it works.  :D

Hydro lever fix1.jpg Hydro lever fix2.jpg Hydro lever fix3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Moosetales, UncleWillie and 3 others have said thanks

#200 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hey, I looked at that spring on one I had and wished it could be right. Seems like was pretty heavy wire when new, but must have rusted?  Didn't come up with idea to fix. I'll have to remember yours if I ever get another. (No, getting out!).  Had to remind myself! A pedal made for out on same shaft was my next step. Had the pedal, didn't finish before sold. I see others have done that and think it is best way. Why MTD didn't do that, never figured?  Might have made better sales then too?

• Sawdust said thank you

#201 mraaaw OFFLINE  

mraaaw
  • Member No: 67349
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 12:44 PM

does any body no where I can find hood latches for a 1979 mtd 990a

#202 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 12:52 PM

I can still order New ones either aftermarket or genuine MTD

Just drop me a PM if interested.

• mraaaw said thank you

#203 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 06:03 PM

http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B005G7P8JK

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#204 mraaaw OFFLINE  

mraaaw
  • Member No: 67349
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 01:51 AM

thanks vtxrider

found a set on e bay

• Sawdust said thank you

#205 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Hey, I looked at that spring on one I had and wished it could be right. Seems like was pretty heavy wire when new, but must have rusted?  Didn't come up with idea to fix. I'll have to remember yours if I ever get another. (No, getting out!).  Had to remind myself! A pedal made for out on same shaft was my next step. Had the pedal, didn't finish before sold. I see others have done that and think it is best way. Why MTD didn't do that, never figured?  Might have made better sales then too?

I like the pedal idea too GL. My Bolens H16 was my first to use the pedal shifter & I like it. I might convert this one later on, looks like an easy conversion.

#206 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 11:18 AM

I recently bought a seat riser because I have heard about the seat touching the fenders with an after market seat. The seat I bought fit the riser perfect but was really high. I felt like I was in a convertible with my head above the windshield  :D  My knees were above the dash & the Hydro lever was really low to reach. After searching around I found out MTD had two different versions of seat springs the high one I had & the lower one that was around 4" lower than mine. I seen a few on eBay & contacted the seller to measure for me. I bought one from Joes Outdoor Power on eBay. Making this change is a lot better & more comfortable. I'm assuming the seat mounted directly on the higher spring on the version I have without using the riser ???

Here is my seat riser that I liked a lot & matched the seat mounting holes perfect.

Seat bracket4.jpg

Here is the difference between the two. Mine is around 7 3/4" at the highest point & the lower one is 4 1/4" high.

Seat spring1.jpg Seat spring2.jpg

Finishing up soon & will be posting pics as soon as I get a couple more parts. Thanks for looking!

• olcowhand, DH1, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#207 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 11:53 AM

The tall one looks a lot like the later Sears Subruban springs. They were taller to clear the rear gas tanks.

• Sawdust said thank you

#208 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Wow almost a year since I last gave an update on my project. I did finish it late last summer with a few exceptions to be done later. We moved from the city to the country with a lot of things to do all winter. This GT will be a worker & has earned its keep moving a utility trailer around the farm & pulling a few fence posts.

I really had a hard time choosing the color. I wanted to do the Dodge Pearl essence blue but it was very expensive along with having to do a three step paint job. I had used the Metallic gun metal gray as an accent to the blue but started liking it so much I just made it the main color with black as an accent. 

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the stack, I like the looks but it's loud. If I do keep it I will paint it black. I need to add anti slip pads on the running boards, add the cig lighter as an aux port, & the edging on the hood where it meets the dash box.. I don't have any implements right now & will be fabricating the 3 point hitch soon. I want to add some graphics identifying this GT. I'm thinking about having " Old Iron" on the side of the hood & farther down 16 HP along side of it using vinyl lettering. On the side of the tunnel I'm thinking about MTD 990 with Hydrostatic under it in smaller lettering. The tunnel decal with all the high, low, up & down info is available but I don't like all the warning stuff on it because it almost covers the whole top of the tunnel. I may just use some lettering that matches the rest & put it on the high, low, up, down & the PTO areas.

I want to thank everyone for their help, advice, likes, & comments. I won't name names because I may forget someone. I bought, traded, & got some parts free during my rebuild from a lot of fine folks on GTtalk. So once again thanks so much for looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pic8.jpg
  • Pic7.jpg
  • Pic5.jpg
  • Pic9.jpg
  • Pic13.jpg
  • Pic21.jpg
  • Pic19.jpg
  • Pic20.jpg
  • Pic10.jpg
  • Pic16.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, March 19, 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• DH1, KennyP, Rock farmer and 4 others have said thanks

#209 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 10:22 PM

I like that color. Looks great.
  • Sawdust said thank you