215 replies to this topic

#151 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Oh goody, an update and pictures! Thanks, Jim! Looking good!

• Sawdust said thank you

#152 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Looking good

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#153 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Next up I'm debating whether or not to remove the black paint off of the carb since it's chipped pretty bad. I would like to leave it bare aluminum. I still need to remove the steering wheel from the shaft. I'm going to let the engine dry for a few days before installing it. I've been excited about getting all the parts back on & seeing all those parts bags empty.  I appreciate any comments & suggestions. Thanks again for looking.

Jim,

If you leave the carb aluminum would you clear coat it or truly leave it bare?

• Sawdust said thank you

#154 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Jim,

If you leave the carb aluminum would you clear coat it or truly leave it bare?

After thinking about it I believe it would corrode or stain if I left it bare. If I do I'll paint it silver along with the head using engine high heat paint. I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever left anything bare aluminum...not much info yet. For some reason most of these 990's have the engines painted a third color other than the frame black & the sheet metal. I have seen the engines white, black, & gray. I'm also thinking about painting the belt cover the same color as the sheet metal. I just don't like all the black in the engine area...nothing stands out.

• Moosetales said thank you

#155 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm with you, Jim on the solid black l. I painted my belt cover yellow to match my tin.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#156 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:14 PM

I finished up my dash plate. I SB it a couple of months ago but never filled the pits. This thing was not only a piece of rust but heavily pitted as well. I'm thinking about ordering the dash plate decal from http://www.clickitan...990-dash-decal/ not sure yet if anyone else has these.

ref26.jpg dash plate2.jpg dash plate1.jpg dash plate3.jpg

I had to repair my voltage regulator. One of the rubber mounts was broke so I'll have pics of that later when I get that done.

I still can't find five rolls of wire I bought back in the summer  :wallbanging:

• Moosetales and Gabriel have said thanks

#157 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:25 AM

The carburetor is made of a pot metal. It will corrode but usually doesn't because it gets greasy and oily and a cooked brown color. I painted one black and it started to flake and looks worse now. I think it was not prepared properly or oil got into the metal.

Your dash plate will look nice when finished. 

• Moosetales and Sawdust have said thanks

#158 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 01:54 PM

I got a little assembly time in this morning before all the family comes over. I installed the shroud, pulley, screen, fuel tank, fuel tank grommet, & starter generator. I put the metal foot pads on forgetting they go on after the tunnel so I'll have to take them off. This is probably better since I want to cover them with a rubber slip resistant mat or maybe a piece of diamond plate aluminum. I also realized after the fact the fuel tank straps I believe had a piece of rubber strap around the inside so the metal doesn't rub against the plastic tank. When I tightened the straps they almost came completely together not putting much pressure on the tank. 

Here is the rubber grommet I got because mine was rotted

Parts1.jpg

I cleaned the carb up the best I could. I'm going to get a small wire wheel for my Dremmel tool to get in the crevices. I have worn one out already on some of the other parts. I'm still not sure whether to paint or leave it as is. It looks good up against the black engine.

carb3.jpg

I painted the pulley & screen the Metallic Charcoal Gray.

Assembly34.jpg

I can almost smell exhaust coming off of it already...getting anxious.

Assembly31.jpg Assembly32.jpg Assembly33.jpg

Next up I want to finish the carb, start repairing the dash. I need to fill in a few small cracks on the steering wheel too then paint it. Thanks again for looking. Any questions or comments are welcomed don't be shy.

• Moosetales and Gabriel have said thanks

#159 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 01:58 PM

That's coming along nice, Jim. I'm a bit behind you but I too hope for a sweet running machine sooner than later.

#160 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 05:36 PM

The tank straps on my tractors have no rubber under them. They do close up nearly touching. Coming along nicely Jim.

#161 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Looking good, Jim! Thanks for the pics and update!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#162 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:23 PM

Since this is my first tractor to re build I'm guessing a lot of these become projects within a project. This time it's the typical plastic dash repair. It's hard to believe as good as these tractors were built they lost it on the dash design. The dash box is one large plastic box sitting between many variables to cause it to disintegrate over time. Mine wasn't too bad compared to most I've seen. The top flange on mine was all gone except the center section. The sides were broke off as well. For some reason the small corner adjacent to the steering column looked like some one took a torch to it.

ref26.jpg dash repair1.jpg

I first made a template for the flange from some tempered hardboard. I cut this a little larger then kept placing it inside the hood area where it would rest to get the exact size when shut. I cut some pieces from an old plastic Dewalt tool box, I got this idea from Moosetales. I was going to use a piece of  plastic from a tv cabinet but this was a better idea.

dash repair28.jpg dash repair20.jpg dash repair6.jpg

I made some repair pieces to replace the plastic that was gone & some metal pieces to reinforce the inside. To reinforce the side flange area I used a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum angle. I used JB weld to attach these.

dash repair8.jpg dash repair3.jpg dash repair2.jpg dash repair4.jpg

For the inside corners I used a piece of 5"x7" metal roof flashing. I bent this according to the measurements then drilled holes so the fiber glass would ooze into the top layer for a good bond as one. I first ground out the inside plastic corners a little to roughen up for a good bond. I then put a layer of FG rosin then the FG cloth mesh inside this area. I embedded the metal corners into this then I put another layer of FG on top of all this.

dash repairs13.jpg dash repairs12.jpg dash repairs15.jpg dash repair16.jpg

I used JB weld on the corner pieces then flowed a nice long bead along the outside flange where it meets the box to give me an inside round corner.

dash repair9.jpg dash repair10.jpg dash repair11.jpg

Once all that set up I added some Bondo to cover all the repaired areas.

dash repair17.jpg dash repair18.jpg dash repair19.jpg

I put the first coat of primer on to show up all the minor details that needed touched up. I used the red spot putty for this, it goes on like butter & sands easy. Then the last coat of primer. I also sanded this primer in between coats, air blasted the dust off, then wiped off with a damp rag to give a smooth surface.

dash repair22.jpg dash repair23.jpg dash repair24.jpg dash repair25.jpg dash repair26.jpg dash repair27.jpg

I have a small problem on the inside area where the throttle cable goes. This actually mounts on the plastic & caused some cracking....another bad design. I want to reinforce the inside area with metal so the mount will be relying on the metal instead of the plastic for support.

I will assemble the dash, grille & hood so I can adjust for a complete tight fit. Once I get this done I will paint the dash box gloss black. I also ordered the dash panel decal that should be here by Thursday. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Sawdust, December 09, 2014 - 06:54 PM.

• Moosetales, VTXrider, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#163 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:38 PM

Jim,

You are doing a great job. Things are looking up for your dash. The pics at the bottom typically mean you uploaded pics that you didn't place in to your response.

#164 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Nice job on the dash. The reason the other pics showed below is you uploaded them twice, but only used them once. We can delete the extras if you want.

#165 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Very nice job on the dash!

• Sawdust said thank you