• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:27 PM

My wife & I went on a five hour round trip today to New Salisbury, Ind. to look at one of my wish list GT's a Sears SS15 BUT! while looking at that I saw another one on my wish list the MTD 990. This is a Turf Trac 16 HP Hydro. It's a little rough but I have wanted one of these for a long time. After buying the SS15 the seller gave me a very good deal on this one. He has the generator but maybe not the belt guard. It has the typical surface rust, mis matched tires, missing seat & no headlights but I'm very happy with today's load I got. I'm not sure if it has the hydraulic lift or not & it has two number plates so I don't know which I should use to look up what badge name this one had or what year it was made.  I know these had a lot of names but learning from you folks on here my guess would be a Yard Man. I also know that having a complete undamaged dash is rare on these & the front grille being intact with no damage. The seller was a wonderful gentlemen & very enjoyable to talk to. He said he just got it back in the summer & it ran good then...running or not I'm happy with it.

Here are the two numbers I was talking about

tt7.jpg tt9.jpg

tt1.jpg tt2.jpg tt3.jpg tt4.jpg tt5.jpg tt6.jpg tt8.jpg

• hamman, IamSherwood, sacsr and 9 others have said thanks

#2 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:30 PM

Nice find. It looks like it's a solid tractor to start with for a project.

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:50 PM

I'm not sure about these number plates I have. Most I have seen have the numbers 990 somewhere but these I have shown don't???

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:41 PM

WOW! :good_job: Nice find!  And you pick  it right out out of my back yard! I will keep looking for a parts 990. There just has to be more around southern Indiana, hideing in a barn some where.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Nice pick on that one.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Nice find. Have a look in the manuals section to see that we have. I know there should be at least an operators manual there. 

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Nice MTD. With a little TLC, you're going to have one heck of a tractor.

#8 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure about these number plates I have. Most I have seen have the numbers 990 somewhere but these I have shown don't???

Congratulations on scoring TWO wish list tractors in one day.
The 990 does show in the standard MTD model numbering format but unfortunately some of the brands they sold to used different formats. White was one of those and apparently Turf Trac also. I tried putting the model number a couple of different ways into the MTD manuals website but its not recognizing it. Based on the tractor having the earlier bolt on front wheels but the later quick connect carriage it would almost have to be a '76 or maybe a '77. I haven't quite nailed down what year the wheels changed over to one peice but I think it was '77.

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thanks so much Jim, I have rattled what little brain I have doing a search on these numbers & found nothing.  Most numbers I found included 990 or 990A but the two I have doesn't have either. The PO said he was sure he had the starter generator that might help also. I'm going to wait until I pick it up & find the engine number & look elsewhere. I would like to know what is the difference between a 990 & 990A. Thanks again.

• Gabriel said thank you

#10 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 01:13 PM

Nice that you were able to get that 990 also.

I had a mid 70's Farmking 990 that I had stretched the frame out and put a grader blade under it.

I sold it about 8 years ago and have missed it ever since.

16-2.jpg

#11 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 03:55 PM

I would like to know what is the difference between a 990 & 990A. Thanks again.

When I first got interested in these, I found something on the MTD website showing how to breakdown their model numbering system.  It may still be there but all I see now is how to break down their newer system implemented in the mid '80s.

The old system works as follows:

first two digits represent the product type (13=lawn tractors / 14=garden tractors / 19=accessories)

third digit represents the year of production

fourth through sixth digits are the model number

if present, a letter following the model number represents the second decade of production of a given model number

the next three digits represent the vendor code (who it was made for)

141-990-xxx would be a 1971 990 garden tractor while 141-990A-xxx would be a 1981.

At least that's according to MTD. 

Problem is that's not how it actually works.  The MTD website has the operator manuals for all the years of production.  1971, '72, and '73 do not have the "A" in the model number.  1974 - 1983 do have it.  In this case it's the last 10 years of production that have the "A."  It obviously doesn't mean it's the second decade of production as then the "A" wouldn't show up until 1981.  And it can't really be the last decade of production because that would mean they had to know ahead of time how long they were going to make the model.  Who knows what it really represents?

Of course, none of that does you any good as your format is totally different.  Several vendors used the different numbering systems as I mentioned.  I know for sure White did and if I remember correctly, maybe JCPenneys and Western Auto/Wizard did also?  I have no idea how they decode.  Maybe they followed a common format for those businesses?

Does anyone know who actually sold the Turf-Trac brand?

Edited by Canawler, February 23, 2014 - 03:59 PM.

• DH1, Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 05:05 PM

This is really getting interested, looks like I opened up a big can of worms. I have been researching along with talking to older folks how tractors originated more in one area than another...a lot of variables. The MTD line of tractors have a fascinating history all ready. I will be watching for more info & if I find out anything worth talking about I will add.

• Gabriel said thank you

#13 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Looks like a good find! I'm glad you were able to find one that was on your wish list!

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:02 PM

I would say Canawler is right with the 76 or 77. I am leaning towards a 76. The engine number may get it closer, which is on the top of the fan cover or on the lower edge of the fan cover. Post that number and maybe someone can help with the decoding.

You have a great project tractor Sawdust, keep us updated on your progress, with both machines.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 06:03 PM

nice !! wait until you feel the ole girl pull. these machines are unstoppable with the right setup...ie chains & weight.

3pt. looks odd to me. like it is something other than draft arms. im assuming it is a horn but if that has a cigarette lighter installed it will be the first 990 ive seen with one.

will be a nice project to dig into.

• Sawdust said thank you