• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:56 PM

You guys that have followed my posts know I have been looking for this GT for awhile because it is one of my wish list tractors. My wife & I made a five hour round trip with breakfast & a late lunch today to Salisbury, Ind to look at a few SS14's & SS15's. I really didn't care which one I got but the problem was so many of these to choose from at one place. I was very happy to find this one, started right up after sitting since last summer, smooth running, steering solid, all gears worked well, tires a little rotted & of coarse my wife's big disappointment non matching headlights  :D  I had a choice of manual or Hydro & since both GT's I have are Hydro I chose the manual one. It gets better after looking around I saw another wish list tractor a MTD 990 Turf Trac 16HP Hydro. This one is a little on the rough side, typical surface rust mis matched tires, missing seat & of coarse another bigger disappointment fro my wife no headlights at all just empty " socket holes"....she has a thing for the pretty stuff. I also got a snow blade for the SS15. I could only haul one GT so I'm going back one day this week to pick up the Turf Trac. The SS15 had a sickle blade on it but I didn't want it. This was an awesome seller, older gentleman that is getting rid of all his stuff because of a few health issues. I will post pics tomorrow & also I want to show some pics of this guys items he is selling & his contact. I just want to help him out & try to give everyone in this area a chance to get some good items. This was a very good trip today, spending time with my wife of forty one years that loves tractor's too, meeting someone else in the hobby, & seeing all this stuff in one place.  I know pics are important but I'm tired & I need to sort out the pics before posting, my wife was my photographer so I know they are plenty to look at. Be back tomorrow.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Yup it ain't so without pictures !   Glad you got another one worth saving. Should be a good one for you. Looking forward to the pictures.    Thanks.  Roger.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 09:12 PM

If you don't get that sickle just for bragging rights, you will kick yourself later. You may never use it, but not every tractor bought had one... IE a very limited number of them out there.

Sounds like you got a couple nice tractors. Can't wait to see the pics.
  • trowel, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hey, hey, were are the pictures ???

Congrates, congrates, love the Ss15s, good tractors.

Edited by trowel, February 22, 2014 - 09:45 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 09:28 PM

If you don't get that sickle just for bragging rights, you will kick yourself later. You may never use it, but not every tractor bought had one... IE a very limited number of them out there.

Sounds like you got a couple nice tractors. Can't wait to see the pics.

Alan is right, get it, get it, get, it! 

Ben W.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Ok guys I know what it's like not seeing other pics so after a few cups of coffee & some easy chair time I got my second wind so here are a few of the SS15. I'll take more tomorrow. I'll post the MTD over in that section.

Here she sits with the sickle bar that I first didn't want but I'm going to go back & get it because of it's rarity & thanks for the encouragement.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

• DH1, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:25 PM

:rocker2: nice :dancingbanana:

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Nice tractor and that sickle bar is a cool attachment.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Nice find! The sickle bar looks to be in good shape, too! It must be a day for Suburbans. I went and asked about a 67' Suburban 12 that I noticed sitting in a field a few weeks ago. It turns out that I know the owner and he said to just take it. It was in a shed he tore down when he bought the house last August. It's got some surface rust, but it's complete and I noticed the plow frame and handle sticking up out of the snow. I'm snow blowing a path across the yard tomorrow so I can get it home.He said it ran, but the gas line leaks and it's been sitting there since last summer. I'll get some pics when I get it back to the house.
  • MH81, Alc, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Good looking SS. Glad you decided to get the sickle bar too!

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Nice find! The sickle bar looks to be in good shape, too! It must be a day for Suburbans. I went and asked about a 67' Suburban 12 that I noticed sitting in a field a few weeks ago. It turns out that I know the owner and he said to just take it. It was in a shed he tore down when he bought the house last August. It's got some surface rust, but it's complete and I noticed the plow frame and handle sticking up out of the snow. I'm snow blowing a path across the yard tomorrow so I can get it home.He said it ran, but the gas line leaks and it's been sitting there since last summer. I'll get some pics when I get it back to the house.

Heave that snow out of the way and snatch that thing up !! looking forwards.

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:48 AM

Ok guys I know what it's like not seeing other pics so after a few cups of coffee & some easy chair time I got my second wind so here are a few of the SS15. I'll take more tomorrow. I'll post the MTD over in that section.

Here she sits with the sickle bar that I first didn't want but I'm going to go back & get it because of it's rarity & thanks for the encouragement.

attachicon.gifss1.jpg

attachicon.gifss2.jpg

attachicon.gifss3.jpg

Nice score Jim. If you decide you do not want the scikle, let me know, I would be very interested.

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:38 PM

I got some seat time in today first time in a long time...felt good. I gave it a more intense looking over the only thing I see right now is the front left wheel is sitting too close to the tie rod. I don't think it's the tie rod end I'm thinking the bearing might be bad because that wheel wobbles a little. I'm also missing the PTO guard, I might see if he has one laying around. :D This thing starts right up like it's been running all day. I took a few more pics & copied the ID numbers & will look them up later.

ss4.jpg ss5.jpg ss6.jpg ss7.jpg ss8.jpg ss9.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, February 24, 2014 - 05:41 PM.

• MH81, trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 12:31 PM

Pretty good looking tractor Jim.

Doesn't look like it was worked too hard, doesn't appear to ever have a 3 pt mounted on the rear.

Those "bearings" in the front wheel are plastic, I think guys replace them with metal bearings, but I haven't had to yet so not sure.

I noticed it's missing the cover over the air filter too. Someone added a brace on the foot board for some reason also, that's definietly not stock.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm hoping to find an air cleaner cover if not soon I'll fabricate one for now. I don't know why the step brace is there it seems to be plenty strong with the stock bracket, I'm going to take it off & see. It gets in the way of my foot when I get on  :(

• Gabriel said thank you