• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • Member No: 53898
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:58 PM

A guy was throwing out a troy bilt pressure washer, so i snagged it from his trash. He said it would start, but just ran real rough. So, did the usual.

1) got my starter fluid and got the thing running, and it seemed to only be running off the fluid. No gas was compressing, as the thing wouldn't stay running. When running off of the starter fluid, i got black oil spitting out of the exhaust with white smoke. 

2) took the carb apart and sprayed all the necessary spots. There was gas in the holding area, so gas was getting down, but it seems gas wasnt able to get up to the engine. Put the carb back together and reinstalled.

3) Drained and changed the oil. Came out very watery and thin when drained, so that seemed to be necessary to do.

4) after all that, seem to be in the same place. Starts with the starter fluid, doesnt stay running, and has a lot of white smoke and spits black oil out of the exhaust (although, seems like less).

Took the carb apart again, and one thing i noticed is that the oring between the carb and the engine wasnt set right. Its a different type of oring, as it has 4 notches in it at 12, 3, 6, and 9, which match up to the recessed area it sits in. When trying to place it back, it doesnt seem to fit (its too big). Went to auto parts store and the guys had no idea. General oring around the same was too thick. This may be my problem (as the engine can't suck the gas up), but i cant find a replacement part.

any ideas?

• hamman said thank you

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to GT Talk.

If you post the model of the pressure washer and/or engine it would help us be able to help you.

• hamman, superaben and robdog09 have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Make sure the air filter isn't plugged. Model and make of the engine would help.  Thanks. Roger.

• robdog09 said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:01 PM

... When trying to place it back, it doesnt seem to fit (its too big). ...

Some gaskets take poorly to carb cleaner.  I've have Tecumseh bowel gaskets swell up so large they won't fit back into the bowel.  Wait a couple of days & it may shrink back to normal size.

Ooh, and welcome to the site.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and robdog09 have said thanks

#5 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Its a Troy bilt 020381. thats the model of the pressure washer. I dont have the specific block number. 

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:49 PM

pressurewashercarb.PNG does this look like the carb assy on yours?  

try this page to see if it is your pressure washer. http://www.ppe-press...912-0122-b1.pdf

Edited by hamman, February 22, 2014 - 10:52 PM.

• trowel and robdog09 have said thanks

#7 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:59 AM

100%. Thats it. Looks like its part #623 in that diagram.

Where did you find that? I couldn't find it for the life of me.

Edited by robdog09, February 23, 2014 - 07:59 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#8 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Ok, so dug up that part number. Ill order it and see what happens.

I guess the next question is -- does this make sense? Is my diagnosis correct?

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Ok, so dug up that part number. Ill order it and see what happens.

I guess the next question is -- does this make sense? Is my diagnosis correct?

Sounds like it yes, suction type carbs need a tight seal and the diaphragm pump pulse pump needs to work good, over time the diaphragm gets stiff and the engine is starved for fuel, you begin to see it when it won't run very good even though there is 1/4 of a tank of gas left.

Word of advice, the pressure washer pump is not to be ran without a source of water attached, attach the garden hose for water and test fire/fine tune the engine. it can overheat and melt the rubber piston O-rings in the pump.

• GTTinkerer and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I just did a Google search for the Troybuilt 020381 pressurewasher........  It popped up and there it was.      Good luck hope it works.      Roger.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:32 AM

'Watery' Oil makes me concerned..  Did the old oil reek of gas odor?  If the rings are shot it may be an exercise in futility to get the fuel system fixed..  (possibly they are just 'stuck')  Test the compression..  Check the oil to see if it smells of gas shortly after getting the thing running..  Is it an older washer?  It's possible the thing ran out of oil at one point as you don't know the history you are taking pot shots here..  I'd have ordered another head gasket as well and visually checked the valves and cylinder..  

BTW-  This is the engine that pops up for that unit:  HERE

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, February 23, 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#12 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:42 AM

my last stop here is to fix the oring and clean out the carb with my air compressor. If i cant get it running after that, i am going to throw it back out on the street.

its a newer troy bilt, at least looks that way. What concerns me is the oil spitting out of the exhaust. 

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:51 AM

I wish it was about 40* warmer so I could even *think about* gettin my power washer out....

besides that, if you get the carb situated, and the right oil in there start it up and warm it up good, see if that spitting goes away theres a great chance that it might

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Like WNYTractorTinker, I would be concerned with the thin oil, the first thing I would check is the float in the carburetor sticking or the needle not sealing properly.  Make sure the float is good and fuel is not getting into it.  When you cleaned the carburetor did you test the needle valve to see if it was sealing. 

#15 robdog09 OFFLINE  

robdog09
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 02:25 PM

So cleaned the carb out. Felt like i got some stuff out of one of the jet back to the engine. Put it back together.

getting closer. The white smoke has stopped, and the black spewing has stopped. I get it started again with start fluid, and it actually stayed running for quite some time. Didn't seem to be idling at a good rpm, but it was running. Its idle started to slow, and slow, and slow, eventually stopped. About 90 seconds of running on its own. If i shot some start fluid into the air filter, it hopped back up but then slowed again.

It looks like its actually getting gas now. Question is why is having a hard time staying running?

Question: spark plug. I figure either the spark plug works or it doesnt. Could a sloppy spark generate this type of problem now?

Edited by robdog09, February 23, 2014 - 02:52 PM.