- - - - -

Briggs & Stratton Service & Parts Manual

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:18 AM

I recently picked up a B & S service and parts book from a fellow that used to work on small engines.

Although most of the information only goes back to the middle 80's I did find somthing I found very interestion.

A B & S service bulletin #367 and dated 5/10/60 explains that the factory has received several engines that had premature failure.

The engines had been on snow plows and the engines had been run with the choke mostly closed resulting in fouling of the spark plug. 

The spark plugs were removed and cleaned in a spark plug "blaster" with abrasive material. The plugs were then cleaned with compressed air, re-gapped, installed and used.

The engine failure was from small particles of the abrasive material still on the spark plugs and ending up scoring the cylinder walls and the crankpin journal.

B & S repair shops were instructed to NOT use the abrasive blasters and to clean the plugs with solvent only.

I was thinking, just throw the plug away and replace it...duhhhh

In 1965 a gallon of gas cost $0.31 so a spark plug was probably $0.50 or less, but the income was only $7500 so that is why people cleaned and re-used their spark plugs!

Man I must be bored to be reading a repair manual for NOTHING I even own!

• rustyoldjunk, jms180, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,654 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:25 PM

It must be winter!  Interesting info though.  If I use a spark plug blaster I then clean with carb cleaner and dry with shop air.

#3 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:58 PM

It must be winter!  Interesting info though.  If I use a spark plug blaster I then clean with carb cleaner and dry with shop air.

I do the same never had a issue.But I agree that sand in your eng is a bad thing :smilewink:

• HDWildBill and superaben have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:45 PM

A lot of OEMS complained about plug blasting.  Clinton in particular wouldn't honor the warranty if you did that. 

Ben W.

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:19 PM

ya not a good plan blasting plugs--Tryed bead blasting some once,they looked great when I was done until I looked down in them with a flash light and seen beads stuck in em,would not blow out with air either.I knew they they would work their way loose in a running engine so in the junk bucket they went.Never wasted my time doing that again.