Amsoil 100/1 2 Stroke Oil

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Just for reference, I have been in the arborist industry for 26 years and have run just about every kind of saw made. 

I am in charge of a 40 man operation with over 60 2 stroke power units including chain saws, blowers, brush cutters and trimmers. In 2006 we had a lot of repair work and dead power heads. We had to do something, what to do was the question.

I remembered using quality oil while racing motorcycles, Motul and amsoil were the top brands out on the track. Keep in mind that running a 600cc motor for a minimum of 20 minutes at top speed. When on the track my bike would not see under 10,000 rpm's, up to 16,500rpm's which is just past redline and banging off the rev limiter. Never had a breakdown due to a mechanical. 

I done some research and found that Amsoil had a line of 2 stroke oil with a 100:1 suggested ratio. Instantly I was like "no friggin way". So I done quite a few google researches and found no complaints of the mix. Now, was this due to it being that good, or was everybody like me and shying away from the snake oil promises? 

I called the company rep and drilled him with multiple questions. He seemed to know his stuff and was very confident in his product. I was willing to give it a shot.

I bought a couple of cases of the saber 2 stroke oil in the 1.5 oz packets and put them in the field. Impressed is an understatement. Almost no smoke and the repair bills disappeared, other than when one is damaged by user error (i.e.: dropped out of a tree, run over, dropped a tree on it, etc...). WE have had NO scarred cylinders since the switch. Our saw repair guy hates that we use it because we do not by as many saws and his repair invoices are few and far between. 

WE still have a few big saws running in top notch condition that have been in heavy service from 2004. These units are abused daily, not homeowner type use.

If you need a good oil, I would suggest going with Amsoil. No, I am not a sales guy, nor do I profit from or have any stock in the Amsoil company. 

• MH81 and Arti have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't used it for 2 strokes but do use their tractor hydrostatic fluid in my compact tractor. It does seem to work as advertised with noticeably cooler operation and faster operation of cylinders in cold weather due to it's consistent viscosity. 

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,707 Thanks
  • 28,350 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:59 AM

At 100:1 ratio I would be afraid also, but the proof is in the pudding... Thanks for the feedback and information.

#4 Guest_Fluid_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm glad you posted this info, very good stuff Amsoil.   Thank You 

#5 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:13 AM

I ran their 2 stroke oil in my snowmobile, smoke disappeared, plugs stayed cleaner and I had no engine issues while using it no matter how hard I beat on it. I'd say it's pretty good stuff.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,380 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Some infos from beyond the pond:

yep, Norbert Pick, Vorstand Marketing und Vertrieb (= sales manager) @ Stihl, will be happy, when he sees this pictures... But Stihl advises a 1:50 mix ratio for it's engines - and their own 2 stroke oil Zweitaktoel-Mischoel-OEl-fuer-Gemisch-Zw

Edited by jd.rasentrac, February 22, 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#7 Hammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:08 PM

The suggested ratio is 50:1 on stihl over here too. But it has worked very well in all of our power units at 100:1.