• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nittanylyn OFFLINE  

nittanylyn

• Member No: 6018
  • 24 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Question for the two wheel tractor guys - I was given a David Bradley sickle bar mower (5753) that was attached to a tractor (5751) and would like to know if any parts are still available for the mower, specifically the trunnion bearing (PN 4637M) and the knife sections (PN 4565M)? It looks like the bearing is still available from Sears Parts Direct with a substitute part number of STD315266 and a price of $33.00. Is this the best option for this bearing?

Also, the knife sections seem to be hard to come by. Any one have advice on the best options for these? Can the originals be sharpened as long as not alot of material is removed?

I would like to redo the mower but feel that these are going to be the hardest parts to come by...thanks for the help in advance.

Greg

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Welcome to the forum, I can't answer your question but we have some guys who know quite a bit about the DB walk behinds and hopefully will be able to help you out.

• nittanylyn said thank you

#3 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Question for the two wheel tractor guys - I was given a David Bradley sickle bar mower (5753) that was attached to a tractor (5751) and would like to know if any parts are still available for the mower, specifically the trunnion bearing (PN 4637M) and the knife sections (PN 4565M)? It looks like the bearing is still available from Sears Parts Direct with a substitute part number of STD315266 and a price of $33.00. Is this the best option for this bearing?

Also, the knife sections seem to be hard to come by. Any one have advice on the best options for these? Can the originals be sharpened as long as not alot of material is removed?

I would like to redo the mower but feel that these are going to be the hardest parts to come by...thanks for the help in advance.

Greg

Sure you can sharpen the knifes.  Are the knifes serrated or strait edged? Do you know what size knives you have?  Ebay may have knifes for your cutter.   I have a Haban sickle bar mower for my Gravely and i've gotten parts off Ebay knifes ect.

• trowel said thank you

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hello and welcome :wave:

• trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 05:20 AM

Ah, welcome to GT Talk,

Yes, you could use that bearing but the knives are the problem, the last time i replaces knives for the 5753 sickle was from Jari to point you in a direction : http://www.google.co....61725948,d.cGU

Don't know if Jari still offers the 2 inch knives but worth a try, as fluid stated you could sharpen the knives and reuse them if the rock guards are still in good shape.

#6 nittanylyn OFFLINE  

nittanylyn

• Member No: 6018
  • 24 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks to all that responded...the knifes on the mower are non-serrated so they should be easier to sharpen. They are  2" wide by 2 1/2" tall so they seem to be smaller than any that I have found on ebay at this point. The rock guards all seem to be fine so I think at this point I will try to resharpen them. I also have an extra cutter bar for my Simplicity sickle bar and they are the same size as the DB so I can use some of those if needed.

I did look at Jari's website and it looks like they do have the 2" knives but at almost $7 a pop I will use them as a last option. I will post what I do and how it worked out.

Greg 

• trowel said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks to all that responded...the knifes on the mower are non-serrated so they should be easier to sharpen. They are  2" wide by 2 1/2" tall so they seem to be smaller than any that I have found on ebay at this point. The rock guards all seem to be fine so I think at this point I will try to resharpen them. I also have an extra cutter bar for my Simplicity sickle bar and they are the same size as the DB so I can use some of those if needed.

I did look at Jari's website and it looks like they do have the 2" knives but at almost $7 a pop I will use them as a last option. I will post what I do and how it worked out.

Greg 

The holes on the Simplicity are drilled different if i remember correctly, i think the Haban sickle knives might work but never had the knives to try out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david bradley, sickle