34 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 05:08 PM

Username, sounds like my dad back in the late 60's. He was helping my uncle plow a big field, dad had gotten paid that day, had  several hundred $$$ in his wallet. Riding on the rough old tractor spring seat, he plowed it under, walked the field for hours but never did find it nor did he ever keep much money in his wallet after that. 

Back when cell phones were science fiction in Dick Tracy Cartoons, My Grandad worked as a hired hand on a farm.

It was a family tradition, for the men in the family to go pheasant hunting in the morning before Thanksgiving Dinner.

Dad found a wallet out in the field with over $700 in it and returned to the landowner. You know that Jasper never even said thank you?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Marty, Try pouring Alcohol over it and then put it back into the rice for several days. It worked on my Wife's Kindle that went for a swim in the deep end of our pool,

http://gardentractor...dle#entry320846

You know Brian, I had the alcohol thought today, it absorbs water in a gas tank, I had thought about soaoking a couple cotton balls and throwing them in the bag.

My loving wife decided to take it upon herself to remove phone from the rice and plug in.... :wallbanging:  I wanted to try to dry it out a day or two more before trying anything with it.  It wouldn't come on, just the low battery light is on and the on/off button illuminated,...I think it's FUBAR'd

• MH81 said thank you

#18 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 08:04 PM

When I dunked mine, I was soaking my feet with it plugged into the charger next to me. I turned and caught the cord and plop.   It shut off and I turned it on and suddenly it was dead.  I removed the battery and put it into the rice and searched the internet to see what to do.  Everything said not to plug it in for a few days.  It was just a cheap 3 year old flip phone.

#19 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 08:05 PM

oh, sorry to hear about yours!

#20 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:01 PM

I hope you have good luck bringing it back to life.  My wife dropped her almost 8 year old Nokia "brick" in the toilet the other day.  A stint of time in the old rice and it's good as new.  She was happy and disappointed at the same time.  Mine's the same age.  I have a good amount of parts phones in the drawer and have gone to them for keypads, batteries, etc.  When we see our friends' kids playing with an old brick we kindly ask if they would like to donate it to our cause.  Mine also has the crumple zone feature.  When I drop it, it distributes itself across the floor.  I gather up the pieces and keep on talking.  A coworker of mine also has a brick and we have a little bet on who can keep theirs going the longest.  It's hard to switch to a smart phone when our plan would more than double so I'm happy with my brick and an iPod to keep up to date when I have wifi available.

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 10:06 AM

:dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :rocker2:  :rocker2:

Friday I watched youtube video on how to take apart. Good thing, when I removed cover, still water logged. Dried off, put in rice. Saturday morning, wifey got me some 91% alcohol, did a good rinse of internals, took outside and lightly blew off with compressor, then back in the rice for 4 days.

Put back together last night, cahrged it up and other than a couple little issues, it's working.

One of my little notification lights is off color and there are kind of like white ghost clouds on background during light screens, but I'm back in business.

Thanks for suggestions, they did work.

Now insead of another phone for my birthday next week, I can talk wifey into getting me those front 3 Ribs I wanted :smilewink:  :rocker2:

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Awesome!  I never would of figured it would of worked again.

What kind of phone?

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Awesome!  I never would of figured it would of worked again.

What kind of phone?

yea, me neither.

I could probably clean up the screen too, but that requires major dissection and it changes pattern as I use it so maybe it will go away eventually.

It is the newer LG G2 through AT&T.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 12:31 PM

I just read today that Samsung is releasing a new Galaxy S5.  Awhile the specs aren't a huge improvement(how much more can we expect?) but it is water proof up to 3 feet for 30 minutes, from the factory.  Slap on an otter box or lifeproof case and you have a lot of security.

I'd like to see an upgrade for my S4 to 4.4 kitkat.  I suppose that will be coming along after the release of the S5

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 26, 2014 - 12:32 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 12:58 PM

I just read today that Samsung is releasing a new Galaxy S5.  Awhile the specs aren't a huge improvement(how much more can we expect?) but it is water proof up to 3 feet for 30 minutes, from the factory.  Slap on an otter box or lifeproof case and you have a lot of security.

I'd like to see an upgrade for my S4 to 4.4 kitkat.  I suppose that will be coming along after the release of the S5

I heard that this morning, the Galaxy's are just so big.

I would like a lifeproof, but I can't stomach another $70 on a case, but then my phone retails for $500 so probbly cheap insurance when you look at it.

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 02:30 PM

I heard that this morning, the Galaxy's are just so big.

I would like a lifeproof, but I can't stomach another $70 on a case, but then my phone retails for $500 so probbly cheap insurance when you look at it.

I agree, but the life proof in your case would of been money well spent. 

I buy the F(ake)otterboxes on ebay.  They are like 10.95 with free shipping, 100% identical to an otterbox.  Been happy with it so far.

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well, maybe not out of the woods. Connected my charger, got an error message  " low temperature, unable to charge", charge  icon shows it's charging even without charger connected and battery life going down. Guess I will pull apart again and rice it.

May have to go to repair shop.

#28 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,774 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Well that's not good

#29 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Otter boxes protect from impacts but tabs on the side for the belt clip keep breaking. They have replaced mine two times but the red tape they put me through was terrible. We have an upgrade coming this spring. My wife likes the Iphones I'm not sure what I like.

#30 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Otterbox gave me 5 free cases for my iphone 4 and 3 for my droid rzr maxx hd.

Nothing more than a photo a piece of paper and the online forms.

I never used the belt clips.