• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Working on water pipes at my sister's last night, my other sister was holding my brand new, maybe 6 week old cell phone as we were using as a flashlight. I spun my arm around, hit her hand.....PLOP!!!!

Dang, right into the bucket of water. :boo_hoo:  I went for it immediately, sealed up in bag of rice right now, but I hold no hope. :ah_shoot:

I didn't get the insurance, but thankfully my wife just change our phone contract so I am no longer under there 2 yr aggreement on the phone, but hopefully it will turn back on once it dries out.

My stomach is in knots, I know it's just a phone, but an expensive one and it took me 2 months to decide on which one to get. Short of a life proof cover, I doubt anything would have helped it...other than using a proper flashlight!

• hamman, sacsr, trowel and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Sorry to hear that about your phone , hope it dries out for you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Take your time on the drying out. Did you take the battery out so that there is no power to run through shorts? When it happened to my wifes, I used a hair dryer at first to get most of the water out fast. Three days later it worked. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:20 AM

I hope it dries out for you. Make sure you remove the battery.  Our son lost his cell phone in the snow for about 2 months. When he found it he brought it hame took the battery out and put it in a bag of rice. left it in there for about 2 days. took it out charged the battery and it worked. It didn't last long due to his dropping it shortly after this.  Good Luck. Roger.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:29 AM

I got my smart phone wet due to rain, to the point a few features stopped working.  An overnight bag of rice stay dried it out just fine.  Good luck to you.

Edited by daytime dave, February 21, 2014 - 10:29 AM.

• hamman and trowel have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,979 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Most phones these days you can't even access the battery sadly.

I use my phone as a flash light constantly.  I was inside my wood stove with it inspecting it for cracked, came out it was black with soot.  Cleaned right up though.

My wife lost her phone down in the bottom of the Polaris RZR.  We were out riding, went over a jump, phone flew out of her hoodie pocket and down by the drive shaft.  Laid there for about another 40 miles of gravel roads, creek crossings, wooded trails, and mud.  We got home and she went inside to clean up.  I hooked up the pressure washer and started washing out the RZR.  I am spraying down in by the drive shaft and I hear "BEEEEEP BEEEP BEEEEP" I thought I sprayed water in something I shouldn't of.  Well I sprayed some more and her phone was in there.  Still on, screen was white and it was beeping and screeching for dear life!  Just as I pulled it out she said "hey you seen my phone"  Uh yeah honey its right here...I had to smash it with a hammer to get it to stop beeping...

50 dollars later she had a new phone with the insurance. 

I had a Motorola Droid razor Maxx that I loved.  had it for 9 months.  I was talking to my mom, hung up the call, threw the phone down on the counter(not threw but just dropped it from about 3 inches) Picked it up and the screen was shattered.  I raised holy hell with verizon and motorola.  That should not of cracked the screen and it was in an otterbox!  I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 now in an otterbox, had it for 3 months.  Love it so far.  They allowed me to upgrade without paying full price.  Had to sign a new 2 year contract though.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 21, 2014 - 10:44 AM.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hope i works out for you!! We have saved the wife's phoe twice when it was lost in a snow bank and her Nano when she left it in a pocket and ran it through the washer. So the Rice thing soes work.

#8 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:55 AM

I was back filling with a 90 ton dozer one winter day and had to take care of business.It had a pusher fan and it was nice cozy and warm between the radiator and blade so I dropped my bibs and took care of business and discovered hours later that my phone was in the top pocket and fell out.

Another time I had a huge fire going and was throwing an electrical device in the fire but the plug snagged my phone clipped to my side and pulled it right into the fire.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:22 PM

exactly why I have a $15 flip phone... no biggie when it gets smashed, lost, or left in my pocket when I jump in the lake!

• superaben, Bob IN and zippy1 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks all for comments.

Yeah sadly, this phone is somewhat sealed and battery can not be removed. Even the SIM card just slides in and out of a slot on the side. That was one of the negative reviews on this phone was lack of battery removal.

It was mainly my fault, I haven't gotten a case for it yet and it's kind of a very slick surface, my sister may have been able to hold on to it had I gotten a grippy cover. She could've held on to it too had I not knocked it out of her hand.

I hope it dries out, if not, probably go back to my 2 1/2 yr old one again.

I lost one of my phones stacking hay in the loft, had to get mom to call it from house phone then off to unstacking hay until I found it.

Username, sounds like my dad back in the late 60's. He was helping my uncle plow a big field, dad had gotten paid that day, had  several hundred $$$ in his wallet. Riding on the rough old tractor spring seat, he plowed it under, walked the field for hours but never did find it nor did he ever keep much money in his wallet after that. 

• hamman and superspeedex have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:14 PM

In the Navy the tron's used to take electronics that got wet and put it in an oven at low heat and let them sit.  I'm not sure that will work with a phone but it worked on very expensive navigation and radar gear.  Man I hate it when something like that happens and I know how your stomach feel's.  Been there my self.

• hamman said thank you

#12 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,495 Thanks
  • 7,629 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:31 PM

I just started buying phones off of Ebay and CL for $50. NO contract and if I destroy them it is only $50. I fond them local on Ebay and then meet the seller to pick it up. Never had a problem.

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,699 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Bought the phone I'm using now that way. Wife had to have a new one and it caused all kinda of havoc, but mine keeps chuggin'

Tahoe, sorry to hear of your phone. Set the whole bag of rice on the register maybe? Just to dry it out with a little warmth? Maybe?

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Yep......been there done that twice......my current apple has the full cover and it has gotten me out of trouble more than once. I did not do the insurance since its a $100 deductible and they give you a used phone to top it off....

Sorry to hear....hopefully the rice will do the trick!

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:40 PM

Marty, Try pouring Alcohol over it and then put it back into the rice for several days. It worked on my Wife's Kindle that went for a swim in the deep end of our pool,

• HDWildBill said thank you