• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 11:25 PM

I wouldn't think it would be much. Probably get better from going a size bigger on the carb?

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 03:43 AM

Low to mid range I don't think it will do anything,wound up it might do a little because of smoother air  flow to the venturi,I don't think you will notice it on a stock block. 

I agree with MH81--

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:46 PM

I agree with the posts above. I don't believe a stock engine would pull enough velocity to make a difference in a stock engine.

I think the harder starting would offset any benifit. You would probably gain more by being sure the butterfly linkage  opens properly with out obstructing airflow and finding the best jetting for your conditions.

You have limited RPM and a low RPM engine will make more torque with a smaller carburator Because it keeps the air velocity up in the venturi.

Back when I was a kid and gas cost $.35 per gallon there were tons of cars on the street that were grossly over carburated . There were some 750 Holley Pumpers getting beat by better balanced smaller carburated machines..

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 21, 2014 - 01:07 PM.

• MH81, Bill 76 and Freddie1911 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I agree, your not going to gain anything.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:50 PM

Only time your going to gain hp is when you start doing modifications to the block. Cam work, bigger valves, bore the block, bigger piston, billet head, and run either high octane fuel (c120 I believe) is what I sued to run. You also want better spark and a hotter flame to go with it. Its pretty much a chain reaction for those hot stock engines. When you do something, you must do to something else to help that modification run better but you will be throwing money out there. Youll need a billet crank to help keep everything inside the block. That alone is 550$ last time I checked.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#7 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 05:00 PM

I agree with the posts above. I don't believe a stock engine would pull enough velocity to make a difference in a stock engine.
I think the harder starting would offset any benifit. You would probably gain more by being sure the butterfly linkage  opens properly with out obstructing airflow and finding the best jetting for your conditions.
You have limited RPM and a low RPM engine will make more torque with a smaller carburator Because it keeps the air velocity up in the venturi.

Back when I was a kid and gas cost $.35 per gallon there were tons of cars on the street that were grossly over carburated . There were some 750 Holley Pumpers getting beat by better balanced smaller carburated machines..

You must be from the same era as me,rememder the infamous holley 3 barrel? came in 950 and 1000 cfm-talk about over kill.Or how about a log manifold with 6 stromberg 2 barrels musta been a tuning nightmare.The good old days when muscle cars ruled the street.
Oh yeah and GTs didn't have any plastic on em.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you