Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 06:15 PM

So, Saturday, after running around doing errands, etc. I was able to finally go to work on the Broyhill.  It had plenty of engine oil--which was clean, and hydraulic oil.  I pulled the air filter, and the inside of the housing was caked in the fine, red dust that is found all through that part of the Southwest, and gets everywhere... though the air filter stopped it from getting down the engine.

BROYHILL ENGINE 1.jpg

I had put a half gallon or so of clean gas into the fuel tank to try and soften up the lacquer-smelling syrup in the tank before I unloaded the machine, then drove around for 3 or 4 miles. I drained the tank, blew out the fuel line up to the carb, and cut off the end of some leaking hoses to get a better seal.

It took a couple hours to clean everything off, but I finally got to where I could pull the plugs and spray a little lube into the holes and crank over the engine a bit to make sure she wasn't going to seize up on me.  I hooked up a good battery, sprayed a little silicone lube into the carb, and turned the switch... the 16 hp Vanguard fired right up, but then died.  I tried a couple more times with the same result and figured I'd best make sure fuel was getting from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb.

Everything was working okay including fuel coming out the pump.  I next checked the fuel solenoid to make sure it was clicking--yep, it's working.

So, this leaves me having to pull the top off the carb...

When I got it off, there was a thick sediment of red gunk in the bottom of the bowl, and the needle valve was corroded into the hole where the seat is... the soil here is pretty alkaline, so I'm sure that red dust mixing with the gasoline made a pretty nasty concoction.

It was so badly corroded that I broke one side of the tabs off the float and had to pull the needle valve out with pliers... what a mess!!

I cleaned up everything--gently, using stainless still scrubbing pad for the large parts, and putting a chunk on the end of a small bolt and twisting it down into the hole where the needle seat it.  I used a small piece of very thin wire to hold the needle in place, then put it back in the float chamber and reinstalled the top of the carb.

I had to prime the carb a few times, but it finally caught and ran on it's own... Hallelujah!!! It ran up okay--no blue smoke, no knocks... the plugs were normal looking when I pulled them, so I was beginning to get optimistic.  Problem was, even though I could accelerate it to about 2,500 rpm the choke had to stay on to keep running.  Even then it would die after a couple minutes--like it was getting fuel, but not fast enough.... also, if I removed the jumper to the good battery it would die... tells me I need a rebuild kit for the carb and either a voltage regulator or an alternator for the engine.

While I was at it, I checked out some of the other features on the machine.

Note the rear PTO... the engine actually drives the hydro from the flywheel side, leaving the rear of the crankshaft free for attachments... pretty cool!! 

BROYHILL REAR 1.jpg

Also, the front wheel is turned using a chain and sprocket arrangement at about a 6:1 ratio so it turns pretty easily--even with liquid ballast in the front tire.  The picture shows the drive motor on the front wheel.  I also found that the machine has a zero turn radius-- the front wheel can be turned to about 85 degrees to either side... very handy for maneuvering in tight places.

BROYHILL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.jpg

It has hydraulic lift at the rear and middle of the machine, and manual lift at the front. They all seemed to function normally.

BROYHILL HYDRAULICS.jpg

So, at this point, I need to put a kit in the carb, and run to ground the problem with the charging circuit.  After that I'll give it a real wringout over on the garden property... I'm pretty excited... I can see all kinds of possibilities with this thing!!

Smitty

• olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#33 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Imagine the looks you'd get at a Tractor show with that, and a COLD adult beverage in hand! I absolutely love the back end utility, and seat setup (perfect for haulin tractor parts N beer). I could just see it now bringing one of those home to, "What the H*** are you gonna do with that now" gettin tossed at me. Seriously tho, super nice find.  :thumbs:  Stiemmy.

Yep, I've already had a couple neighbors make comments of that nature, LOL!!  But it was good-natured... I fix their lawnmowers, snowblowers, cars, etc. when they need a hand so they tolerate my obsession...

• stiemmy said thank you

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,653 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Glad you made it home safely. That is a cool machine! Have fun!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#35 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 12:27 AM

Nice find!

#36 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:54 AM

would love to see it sometime!  What are you thinking of running of the rear pto?

#37 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 02:26 PM

would love to see it sometime!  What are you thinking of running of the rear pto?

Oh, I think it would be a fun little trail rig.  I'm planning to help clear up a Scout camp in late May, early June... might be just the ticket to skid logs, etc.  There are some bar tread, ag-type tires available in the 21x8" wheel size--probably be a little tougher than the turf tires on it now. The rear PTO would be handy to run a generator, pump, etc. for backup/emergency power etc.

You're welcome to come look at it.  I'm off Friday and Saturday, as usual.  It runs, but needs a new float and needle... the darn little needle valve is almost $24!!!! The float, valve, gasket and high altitude jet come to $75--no matter where I look for them... but, gotta have it...

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydrostatic, b&s vanguard