Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Should be a valve at the rear to switch to free wheel

Thanks..The guys at the city shop didn't know how so I sent an email to BRoyhill--they answered promptly and told me what to do--thank goodness. I sure didn't want to drag it up my trailer with all the tires screaming in protest...and possibly damaging something.

Smitty

#18 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:01 PM

I really like the built in ice box on the back for your cold beverages.  Maybe you could make a drain and a lid for it.   :thumbs:

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Gee-- I hadn't even thought of that!!!! 

Smitty

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Well, I'm about an hour south of home on another tractor....errrr..... machine acquisition expedition. 370 or so more miles to Vegas...
Wish me luck...I didn't want to haul the trailer all the way, so I took the shell off my trusty Chevy, threw some ramps in the bank along with a Porta Power and tools, and took off.
My SIL was supposed to go with me but cancelled at the last minute...so, I'm doing the solo thing again. Should be home about 11 tonight.

Smitty

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Be safe, Smitty! Hope the camera is charged!

#22 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Dang, that looks like a great machine for picking up the mail! UTsmitty strikes again

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:59 AM

So, I sent my previous post off while stopping at the Golden Arches in the bustling metropolis of Scipio, Utah... population maybe 300.  I'm not a fan of Scottish Fast Food, but my water tank was about to overflow...

Meanwhile, Betsy waits impatiently outside... she always likes our outings and doesn't understand why I have to stop every 3 hours or so when she can go for 4 or 5...

PIT STOP SCIPIO UT.jpg

I didn't want to haul my trailer the 900 round trip miles to Las Vegas and back, so I got the dimensions from my manual, and figured I could load the Broyhill in the back of the truck... if I removed it's topper.

I've never had it off, but the wife and I got it off by first backing up close to the trailer; unbolting the shell, and then me standing inside the truck bed and doing a Charles Atlas with the shell on my stooped shoulders, and walking towards the tailgate, then setting it down, crawling out through the back, then sliding it the rest of the way onto a couple 2x4s laid cross ways on the trailer... worked pretty good.

When I got it off, the truck seemed to handle better---more responsive.  I was interested in what kind of mileage I'd get... I normally get 14.5 mpg on a good day with the shell on... we'll find out when I refuel in St George, Utah.

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 02, 2014 - 01:07 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 01:30 AM

The trip is 440+ miles one-way--traveling through 3 states.  In essence I traveled the entire length of the state of Utah and then some.

Broyhill Expedition.jpg

I'm driving through some of the more sparsely settled parts of Utah--even though it's along I-15 the entire way.  Towns didn't spring up here unless water was available. 

As you can see from the landscape, with the wind and water-carved rocks, it DID have water at one time, but is pretty dry now...normally. I didn't see the sun the entire trip it was so overcast...  I was beginning to look around to see if Old Buzzard and the SS Rainmaker had gotten lost and ventured a little farther west than normal.

BUTTES IN MIST.jpg IMG_20140228_075759_123.jpg

IMG_20140228_105101_691.jpg IMG_20140228_072955_690.jpg

IMG_20140228_072945_125.jpg

Here we're coming into the outskirts of St. George, Utah--the last town in southwest Utah before we hit the Arizona Strip. 

IMG_20140228_104336_822.jpg ST GEORGE & JOSHUA TREES.jpg

St. George is in what is called Utah's Dixie because the Mormon pioneers actually grew cotton there in an effort to be self-sufficient.  It was named after Phillip St. George Cooke, an Army officer who befriended the Mormons after they were driven off their homes in Illinois and started their famous trek to Utah. 

There isn't much industry here, but a lot of snowbirds have their winter homes here, plus it's one of the gateways to place like Zion's National Parks, Bryce Canyon, and other scenic spots in Utah's "Color Country"--so named because of the brilliant and contrasting hues in the geography--dark oranges and reds, yellows, greys, even purples.  It's part of the same geographic strata that the Grand Canyon sits in, though it's 300 or so miles to the west.

Here's some pictures of the area... everything was pretty overcast.  This was Friday... we'd had a long soaking rain on Thursday, but the weatherman said it would be clear on Friday, but rain again on Saturday.

What I didn't know is that by driving 400 miles south, I drove into Saturday's storm on Friday.  It started to rain just as I crossed into the Arizona Strip--a 30 mile segment of I-15 that follows the course of the Virgin River as it cuts through sandstone gorges a'la Grand Canyon, but not near as large.

ARIZONA LINE.jpg ARIZONA STRIP 1.jpg

As you drive down the gorge, you're actually on a series of bridges as the river meanders under you.

VIRGIN RIVER GORGE 2.jpg VIRGIN RIVER GORGE 3.jpg VIRGIN RIVER GORGE 4.jpg

And, Murphy's Law being what it is, when I'm in the narrowest part of the whole trip, the road is restricted to one lane in either direction, and often no shoulder to pull over...

SLOW TRAFFIC.jpg

Where the rain had been in fits and starts, it started to come down constantly now, and didn't let until I had loaded the machine--in the rain, and driven several hours back into Utah...

RAIN STARTS 2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140228_104427_570.jpg
  • VIRGIN RIVER GORGE START.jpg

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 02, 2014 - 04:32 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#25 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Glad the trip is going well sorry you got wet doing the load up tho. That's no fun.
Thanks for the pics, pretty country there. Is that grazing land, or not used for anything?

Cotton in Utah, huh, what you don't learn on here.

#26 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 07:32 AM

There's some agriculture, including grazing, but much of the land is so sparse it takes a lot of land to support one cow. When it comes time for branding, or polling horns, or taking to feed yards before sending to slaughterhouses they still use the ol' fashioned round up--though it may be on the back of an ATV instead of a quarterhorse.

There's also a fair amount of mining in the area, plus Brian Head--a ski resort.

Smitty
  • MH81 said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Are you getting close to home yet? Glad it has went well other than the rain.

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 03:19 PM

That is really cool. Now I want one.

#29 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,303 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Imagine the looks you'd get at a Tractor show with that, and a COLD adult beverage in hand! I absolutely love the back end utility, and seat setup (perfect for haulin tractor parts N beer). I could just see it now bringing one of those home to, "What the H*** are you gonna do with that now" gettin tossed at me. Seriously tho, super nice find.  :thumbs:  Stiemmy.

Edited by stiemmy, March 02, 2014 - 04:50 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#30 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 05:47 PM

I filled up the truck in St. George--320 miles and 20 gallons fuel... 16 mpg!!  That's the best it's ever done... and I was pushing it at 70 and even 80 on the downhills (thanks to a law enacted last week raising the speed limit to 80 in many parts of the state).

I pulled into the Las Vegas Fleet Shops after driving through about 40 blocks of city traffic... glad I don't live down here.  Only took a minute to sign the paperwork and go pick up my prize. (BTW, for some reason, my previous pictures weren't uploading with the advanced uploader, so most were uploaded at lower resolution.  I'll try the Advanced Uploader again...)

BROYHILL M4100 RH.jpg BROYHILL M4100 LH.jpg

I had to maneuver it around by hand to get it ready to load up... Ol' Betsy seemed to be looking on and saying,

"Do I REALLY have to carry THAT THING all the way back to Utah?"

But, she usually does as she's told, unlike some other females... :smilewink: (just kidding, sweetheart).

I used a couple of HF ramps for the rear wheels, and a slightly shorter ramp off a trailer for the front.  I was told the tires had been aired up, but they were pretty soft, and it showed when I started to winch it up.  The middle ramp had cross bars made from angles, and the tire tended to slip down in it and have to be winched over every one.

I don't have any anchor points at the front of the truck bed, so I put a couple of stake pocket camper tie downs in backwards, ran a length of chain between them, then attached a 2,000 lb HF electric winch to the chain... It worked pretty good, though not without protest. After I got it loaded, I noticed that the stake pockets were twisted and the side rail of the bed was pushed up from the force on them... tell you one thing... these newer trucks (Betsy's a 1990) sure ain't built like the old 50's vintage Chevy's we had when I was a boy.

IMG_20140228_132305_707.jpg LOADING BROYHILL 2.jpg

I finally got her into the bed of the truck.  I normally use an old tire to cushion the front of tractors, etc. to avoid damaging them or the bed.

LOADING BROYHILL 3.jpg

In this case, however, the rear tires were about 1" wider than the wheel wells in the truck bed so they kept it about 3 inches from the front of the bed, AND, with some careful adjustment of the rear lift, I was able to close the tailgate.

LOADING BROYHILL TAILGATE.jpg

I still strapped everything down, though.  Didn't want it rocking back and forth against the tailgate...

Ol' Betsy had to haunch down a little to carry the 750 lbs I'd just pulled up into her bed, but she didn't complain...

LOADING BROYHILL 4.jpg

By this time the rain was coming down in earnest... it was 3:00 Mountain Time and the journey home began... solid rain for another 4 hours..

RAIN STARTS AGAIN.jpg VIRGIN RIVER GORGE RETURN.jpg

...Finally got home about 11:00 p.m. safe and sound...

Smitty

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydrostatic, b&s vanguard