Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor March 2014!

featured tractor voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now Featured Tractor March 2014 (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor March 2014

1. David Bradley Handiman - Lauber1 (11 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

2. Bolens Power Ho 12A - Nato77 (5 votes [4.59%])

Percentage of vote: 4.59%

3. Gravely C-8 - HowardsMF155 (7 votes [6.42%])

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

4. Garden Aid - karl (3 votes [2.75%])

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

5. David Bradley Handiman - trowel (5 votes [4.59%])

Percentage of vote: 4.59%

6. Waterloo 15 - New.Canadian.DB.Owner (4 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

7. Rototiller Home Gardener - earthgrinder (18 votes [16.51%])

Percentage of vote: 16.51%

8. Beeman - DougT (56 votes [51.38%])

Percentage of vote: 51.38%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of March 2014 has now officially started and will end the last day of. This month's theme is Walk Behinds.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of March and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• David Bradley Handiman - Lauber1
  • Bolens Power Ho 12A - Nato77
  • Gravely C-8 - HowardsMF155
  • Garden Aid - karl
  • David Bradley Handiman - trowel
  • Waterloo 15 - New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Rototiller Home Gardener - earthgrinder
  • Beeman - DougT

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• superaben, BTS and karl have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Sears entered the GT market in 1931, using a design from the Walsh company as their product. After a couple of yrs this must have become unworkable, as in 1933, they produced a new model called the Bradley Handiman, which used a Briggs engine and an enclosed Briggs clutch/gear drive. One could have bought either a heavy duty model, with a K Briggs, or the model "A", using an M Briggs for power. The tractor is a single speed forwards, power transmitted though a triple V belt,  no reverse, using ratchet dogs at the hubs for turning. My tractor uses Peru wheels.  The price was $105.75 without a tool bar. You could own it for $10 down. The brass tag on the gear cases displays the model # of 60209. Apparently due to poor sales, this tractor reappeared as the Handiman Jr in 1935 and up, with small Briggs engines of 1/2hp.

I bought this unit, at auction in about 1993, mostly for the cool wheels, as I had no clue what it was. Its engine was gone and someone had tried to drive over it in the past. In the picture note the badly bent handle bars and the gauge wheel behind the right drive wheel. There was nothing on it that was loose enough to remove. In 95 I decided I wanted a running prewar tractor so I went about getting it unstuck, which finally took a trip to the acid dipper, to get the bolts loose and the tool bars parts to separate. As it came to me with out any engine, I decided to put a model "A" Briggs on it, after not being able to find a good K or M Briggs. It had the original fuel tank mounted long ways, behind the engine. I still have the bracket, and if I find a correct engine sometime I will put it completely back to new. Its painted with Van Sickle IH red and Agco Spring green. I also mount up a pair of middle buster shovels on the tool bar.

stans show 011.JPG fred's show 2013 002.JPG

One of the interesting things about this tractor is the left axil is longer than the right one. Although it doesn't promote this feature in the catalog, it lets you offset the tractor, so that the depth of the gearcase don't run over the crop. By running the tooling to the left side of the bar, you get almost 5" more clearance under the machine. They made a whole slew of attachments for these units, including a seeder of up to 4 rows, a 10" plow for the bigger hp machine, and several choices of disc's and shovels for weeding jobs.  

33 tractor.jpg

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 01:07 PM

I've been planning on nominating one of my walk behinds since the beginning of the week, but I wanted to take more pics this weekend ( being its dark when I get home ). And of course its cloudy out so sorry for the dark pics.

Here's one of my 1946 Bolens Power Ho's model 12A. I purchased this a few years back. When I got it home it wasn't in as good a shape as I thought (are they ever). Tinkered around a little and got it to run sort of. Being happy it at least ran it got put into the corner of the shed for a future restoration.

About a year ago I decided it was time to drag it out and get working on it. Progress was slow trying to get a match for the paint I was happy with. But in the mean time the engine got freshened up with a set of rings and gaskets. Pick up some new tires at the local swap meet to replace the old dried out and cracked ones. Still waiting on finding a decal in good enough shape to copy for the tank.

Once it was all back together I've played around a little with it hooking different attachments on and seeing how well they work. The 6 1/2" moldboard plow was probably the most fun but also the most work to run (I'll just stick with the ride on tractor for the plowing). Also have cultivators, sickle mower, and brush mower for it. Hooked the sled on the back of it today, since it started. Even at 5*F it started on two pulls. Gotta love them old engines!

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, earthgrinder and 13 others have said thanks

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:25 PM

I'm going to nominate my 1974 Gravely C-8 tractor. In 1995 I was dwelling in an apartment, had been for over 10 years, and did not own any lawn equipment, and had really given no thought to owning any lawn equipment. However, I was vaguely responsible for my father's house and the 2.5 acres that came with the house. During a visit to the house to ready it for new tenants, I discovered that no one had been maintaining the meadow surrounding the house, and numerous pine trees had grown up, many of them 7 feet tall and over 2 inches at base. I wanted to clear these meadows, and return them to the original grassy state they had been, as my father was going to be retiring and moving into the house in a few years. The first step I took to tame the tangled growth was to rent a machine from a local company and use it. Between safety switches, a locked differential, and a lack of power for my problem, that machine worked me more than I worked it!

Now, I grew up using a Gravely tractor, and by the end of that day, I said to myself "I am going to buy a Gravely tractor, because I KNOW it will do the job." But the problem was, where could I find a Gravely to buy? I had not seen one in years. So, I called the Gravely company and asked if there were any dealers close to me that were still ordering parts for older Gravely tractors. The closest dealer we found was in Roanoake Virginia, about 3 & 1/2 hours away. First, I tried talking to the dealer, who wanted far too much for a tractor. Then I placed a "Wanted" ad in the local Roanoake paper, hoping to find someone who would sell me a tractor. Eventually, a gentleman called me and said he would sell me his old tractor, a 1974 Gravely C-8 with a bush hog and a sulky. We had a pleasant conversation, and when I found out where he lived, I couldn't believe it! He lived in my childhood town of Marion, Virginia, though he didn't know my family. At any rate, we agreed on a time and a date, and I arranged to travel with my wife for the pick-up.

I arrived and found the tractor in good condition, ready to work, and paid for it, loaded it into the truck and eventually arrived back at my Dad's house with it. I worked and worked on that meadow, cutting up brambles, trimming under overgrown grape vines, and avoiding anything with a trunk diameter larger than an inch. The larger pine trees were pulled out by the roots with a winch so as not to leave long-lasting stumps behind.

I have now owned this tractor for 17 years. I have only owned my own home for 12. When I finished my work at Dad's house, I pulled the engine off and had it bored, sleeved, and new piston and rings installed. I also found a crack in one of the handlebars and welded that, then welded a reinforcement plate to the handlebar. I re-engineered the PTO engagement lever so that it would engage and disengage more easily, painted the hood and the handlebars, and switched tires to a wider 16x6.50x8. Until last year, I used this tractor to mow my lawn, plow my garden, plow snow and a myriad of other chores. If there is a tough job to be done, my first question is "Can I do this with my Gravely?" When the Raleigh area received a record 20 inch snowfall in 1999, my Gravely was ready to go with a home built "V" plow. When Dad wanted to go camping at his old family farm, grown up in pines and brush, the Gravely was there, ready to clear a road and cut a clearing. When I was putting a fence up at our new home, and the post hole digger I rented could not penetrate the dry dirt, the Gravely was there to start the holes so water could soak into the dry dirt. I expect that one day, when my kids are grown, one of them will say "Can I borrow the Gravely?" and it will be there, ready to go!

Day at dads 060.JPG GE 005.JPG GE 007.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, February 08, 2014 - 02:41 PM.

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#5 karl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38218
  • 923 Thanks
  • 699 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 04:30 PM

after seeing this tractor on craigs list for a couple of months. I went and looked at it,It looked resurectable,so i brought it home. This is a Garden aid tractor.made by the eastern tractor company of Kingston new York, with the gear caseing and pullys made by the Oben tool and die casting corperation of Detroit Michigan. It is powered by a briggs and Stratton model npr-6 engine I pulled it apart and cleaned every thing up,I had to put a magneto in it.it fired right up.i had the plow and just had to figure a way to attach it.a frolic in the shed and it was done,its a little beast,I bought it and brought it back to life for under a hundred bucks,i'm going to use this for many dirt farm dutys,but next? it pulls my ice fishing gear! oh and a pic of the cabBage farmer on the wards!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0431.JPG
  • IMG_0450.JPG
  • IMG_0451.JPG
  • IMG_0434.JPG
  • Scan.jpg

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 06:14 PM

1956 David Bradley Handiman with front mounted Roto Spader attachment.

Was a back burner project tractor that sat for a long while before i asked the owner of the tractor if he was ever going to restore it, knowing that i collected David Bradley tractors we struck up a deal and it came home with me.

It needed a little work, was covered in grease and leaves, cleaning and setting ignition point, locking hub was broke, fuel tank was rusted out and the original carburetor was switched and modified.

Contacted a fellow David Bradley collector for parts and was able to replace the wheel, fuel tank and carburetor along with the proper throttle, governor linkages and air cleaner correct for 1956.

The Roto Spader was a extra from a parts Handiman that was used to keep the tractor level making it a stable platform to work on. After driving the tractor around to fine tune the carburetor and test drive the planetary drive speeds the owner of the Roto Spader stated ''you need a tiller for that'' so after a little trading i ended up with it.

There is still a few missing parts from the Roto Spader such as weight and depth wheel to complete it and the tines are so worn it is almost unusable but everything works and the engine runs good making for a dandy little tractor.

Thanks Daniel for the shove.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0595.JPG
  • DSCF0596.JPG
  • DSCF0597.JPG
  • DSCF0598.JPG
  • DSCF0599.JPG

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Waterloo 15

IMG_1507 - Copy.JPG IMG_1506 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

I would like to nominate my Waterloo 15. It was made in Waterloo, Ontario, sometime prior to 1949, when the model 15 was replaced with the model 20. When new, it sported a 1.5 hp Clinton engine, a 26:1 reduction gearbox and 5.00 - 12 tires. With a 2" drive pulley, an 8" driven pulley, it has a top speed of 2.2 mph, but a whapping 225 foot-lbs of torque at the rear wheels (in theory).

The Waterloo shared some styling cues, and competed head to head, with the Simplicity line of walk behinds. In fact, the implements are said to be interchangeable.

The Waterloo 15 lies at an interesting intersection for GTs.  Not only did the Waterloo Manufacturing Company take on the juggernaut Simplicity, it was the Canadian importer for Minneapolis Moline.

I have had this tractor since June 2012. I had an ad on Kijiji looking for a David Bradley. A fellow in Campbellford, Ontario offered me a Simplicity. I drove the hour north to see it but the carb was malfunctioning and he wouldn't sell it unless it was running perfectly. He did offer me another walk behind that he had lying around, this Waterloo 15 with a Briggs engine but no attachments. Well, something is better than nothing, and free is my favourite price, so I took it home as a consolation prize. Later that month I found a Model 40 and a David Bradley.

Fast forward to the winter of 2013 / 2014, the DB & I had parted company, and the Model 20 was up next for a restoration. Try as I may, I could not find a parts or operator's manual on-line for it, so I decided that would be part of the restoration process. The manual is a "best efforts" to re-create the manual by dismantling the tractor, documenting the parts, and then reassembling them.

The tractor came to me with a 2 hp Briggs and Stratton that was manufactured in 1982 and added to the tractor sometime thereafter. At that time, the tractor was also repainted to a dark green. Since I did not have the correct engine, I knew the tractor would never be "as manufactured". Since I was reusing the Briggs, I decided to do the restoration as a nod to that earlier restoration & re-powering.

I went with Amor Coat's Shutter Green and Holland Yellow. As a nod to that same restoration, and to my recently deceased uncle who once painted a Quonset hut with a 4" roller, the tractor was painted entirely with a 1" acid brush. That said it was a bare metal restoration; all parts where sand blasted, primed & given two coats of paint.

I also used a product called Rust Off Rust Converter, made by Dominion Sure Seal Ltd. It worked as advertised if used as per the instructions on the bottle. It "converts rust through a unique chemical process to an insoluble black coating. An excellent foundation for paint, body and plastic fillers." I would use it again.

Model 15 pic 1 cropped.jpg Model 15 pic 2.JPG Model 15 pic 3.JPG

1 and 2_Page_1.jpg 1 and 2_Page_2.jpg page 10.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 09, 2014 - 11:50 AM.

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

#8 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 05:08 PM

I nominate my 1947 Home Gardener made by Rototiller, Inc. Troy, NY.  I got it in pieces in 2000, re-assembled it for show, since the engine had a bad crankshaft.  This summer I installed another engine on it to run some of the attachments that I was fortunate enought to acquire.  These tillers were made from 1945 until early 1949.  Carl Kelsey, founder of Rototiller, Inc., was determined to provide a single wheeled tiller for the average home owner.  He tried a version in 1937 and that did not sell very well.  This version did alright for a time, but then the front tine tillers came on the maket and were so much cheaper.  These sold for $330, which was rather expensive in those days.  It also had 228 parts of which 36 were bearings.  This particular Home Gardener has a B&S Model NP engine, which produces one and a half hp.
Each of the photos show the Home Gardener with an attachment.  The last photo is of another Home Gardener I have with the tiller mounted.  The 25" reel lawn mower was made by the Locke Company for Rototiller, Inc.  The Locke company is famous for its reel mowers that are used a lot on golf courses.  I have a video on YouTube of the Rotary Cone Mower and the Bucksaw in action.  I have used the Home Gardner to till some ground in the garden and cut some grass with the reel mower.  The tiller is rather unstable to handle if you don't want to walk in the freshly tilled soil.  Since then I did acquire the optional third handle that flips from side to side and will make it much easier to handle.  I like to have all the things in my collection in running condition and make videos of them doing their thing.  Thanks to Lauber1 for the nudging to do this.
Videos:  Rotary Cone Mower     Buck Saw
Scan263.jpg ConeMower-1.jpg 100_5891.jpg IMG_2338.JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#9 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,521 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:57 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• earlybeemag.JPG
  • earlybeeman2.jpg
  • beemanradecal.JPG
  • DSC00252.JPG

• olcowhand, earthgrinder, Gtractor and 18 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Let the voting begin :D

• BTS and karl have said thanks

#11 grand OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:01 PM

The members were a little slow in submitting their nominations but when they did, what a fantastic group of walk-behinds. It makes me wish  we had a voting selection that was ALL OF THE ABOVE. It sure will be difficult to make a choice for this month. I would like to add that the Olde Tyme Days Show this year will feature International and antique walk-behinds. The show is in Dover,PA and will be held August 15th,16th, and 17th 2014. Sure would like to see any of the nominees that are able to attend the show.

• boyscout862, Newpaws493, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:12 AM

What a fantastic showing from the walk behind enthusiasts here. Some really interesting and useful tractors here to choose from. A hard decision to make. 

• boyscout862, Huskyfan and karl have said thanks

#13 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:23 AM

this time voting was so easy, except to decide

• Huskyfan and karl have said thanks

#14 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:10 PM

I tell you what,The Lawn & Garden Tractor magizine  guys are really going to be missing out on this one.All of these are amazeing great work guys

• DougT, MH81, Nato77 and 4 others have said thanks

• Member No: 8437
  • 11 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Great bunch of walk behinds. Brings back memories of working on uncle Joe's farm back in late 1940s & 50s. He had a David Bradley and I've thought of looking for one and this group has relit the fire again. Thanks to all you guys for the for showing yours.

• Lauber1 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured, tractor, voting